• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Nassau 1715 - Arma 3 mod

The team posted this video on their twitter page - my favourite bit is the crows nest view - the sun, the music - very impressive.

I honestly have watched this about 20 times by now - 15 seconds of crows nest footage, I love it - more please!

I imagine missions sneaking in close to harbour with topsails furled and counting enemy with yards hoisted and ready for sea like in Hornblower, or looking out for shallow reefs in a navigation mission, or justextending my visual range for when looking for merchants to plunder...

Dev Team - please, please please - so many of these projects never make it. This one looks amazing - do not focus on eye candy or perfection now. No diverse or immaculate 3D models of swords, pistols or chamber pots - just get any ship out for us to MP our brains out. An Age of Sail 'sailing' mod would be a great achievement if nothing else ever happens. Sailing comes first.

Great work,

Conor

Thanks for the nice words, @con20or ! Don´t worry, we're currently in feature/asset freeze mode now and concentrate on bug hunting in preparation for release.

An Age of Sail 'sailing' mod would be a great achievement if nothing else ever happens.

Well, one thing is certain, we got the 'sailing' in 'Age of Sail' covered. The sailing system is quite deep and challenging at first, but really fun once you get the hang of it. And the in-game help menu/manual explains the most important parts pretty well :)

This type of co-op ship play is really fun, i can see this mod being tons of fun with a few people who know what they are doing.

I've been playing Wolfpack alot recently - its a recent UBoat MP coop game (see on STEAM), every station needs to be manned and operated in real time, from diving to attacking. It is a blast in MP if you have some good people playing with you.

Thanks for the reply - can't wait to try it.

WHAT!!?? To find this when logging in at work an a monday morning, you sadists!!:modding

Great job everyone on the Team, can't wait to try it - thanks for the hard work:woot

I've just looked at the quick sail guide, ah man - so exciting.

Ok - really back to work now :(

Hehe, yes, we´re sadistic pirates, what did you expect? A Friday evening release? :p

Here´s the slightly longer sailing manual, something to read while at work ^^

Nassau - Manual

So I installed this and started the first tutorial which has me stuck in a cage. I thought the first tutorial was about steering and sail controls. Is this some kind of test to show that if I can't get out of the cage, I won't be able to steer the ship?

Just a little atmosphere for the tutorial ;)

The icon for the break out action is a bit hard to find, though:

Untitled1.jpg

Next stop is collecting your gear on the dead guard, then the yawl which brings you to the sloop. Then the sailing starts.

Thanks! The problem for me was that I've never played Arma3 so I'm completely unfamiliar with the game controls. I bought it specifically for the Nassau 1715 mod which looks fantastic!

Time to read the docs for awhile and on to sailing.

Thanks again.

gave it a go there - looks cool.

for me it was middle mouse button that let me break out of the cage. got the kit, got the yawl, took me a while to get onto the ship (can you look around while rowing? ur kind of blind)

then got some sails hoisted and set off (in circles). Can't figure out how to holster my pistol and ended up with some rope in my hand as well (and a plank?) but got up for my crows nest view - and what a view. Gonna have to study this manual....

is this SP only now, or can you MP try and sail the ship?

Gave this another go last night - alot easier the second time around, getting onto the ship (just run off the end of the pier in the second scenario), finding the little white tooltips (your position moves slightly when you are next to them - prob due to the boat movement), using them - have to hold F down to use, not just press once, but very handy to learn that when they dissapear when open/full etc.

I got the ship sailing, in straight line close hauled and with wind abeam - - tacking should be fun....its a great mod - so much potential, and great job all involved. Even if you fall off, a subsea swim is a bit of fun too as such a good looking game. Great models too.

Edit: Found the MP scenario

So a few questions -

Is there anyway to sight down the barrel a cannon when aiming it?
Can I put my pistol away?
Does the ship damage model work? ie can i sink that other ship?

Last edited:
It´s mainly PvP at the moment, creating SP content takes a lot of time.
The easiest way to aim with the gun is to crouch directly behind it and fire at the highest point of the ship`s rolling motion.

And yes, ships do sink if there enough holes in the hull, you can counter it by using the pumps :)

tried MP there - no luck unfortunately.

couldn't find my friend on the ARMA servers, he coudltn find me. We filtered by name etc, we're steam friends but they weren't listed - neither of us could direct host - whats the best way to do this? Suggestions welcome, thanks.

PS - does BattleEye have to be disabled for modded play?

@con20or No Battleye doesn't need to be disabled to use mods (though I'd recommend it anyways because of how crap Battleye can be), local hosting arma is a bit funky so a dedicated is usually recommended. This might help you if you're determined to not setup up a dedicated however: Port Forwarding for Arma 3

Speaking of that, I come from the far off land of the Arma community and am here to share a mission with you fine people related to Nassau 1715! I already shared this over on the Discord and the Arma 3 forum page but I figured I'd leave it here for those of you who are only just getting into Arma 3 via this mod. It's a sort of challenge mission involving sailing through a storm in the dead of night to find a small fishing village to dock at. Steam Workshop :: Storm Sailing - A Nassau 1715 Challenge Mission

If you end up playing it let me know how it goes by commenting on the workshop page and maybe give it a rating so more people can see and enjoy the mission!

Hey guys, this is pretty much a copy and paste from the other post.

We're going to continue to work on this modification, adding more ships, clothing, equipment, weapons and specific locations, but in order to be successful as a total modification we really need help. What we're trying to do is basically a huge modification with a lot of never before seen assets in ArmA 3 and we simply can not do it on our own. We have a small team with only a few salty and experienced 3d artists and programmers and what we have planned is simply too much for us to do within a reasonable amount of time.

I would very much like to work with the Pirate's Ahoy community in this project. You all have the knowledge, skill and dedication needed for a project like this. The cooperation I've received so far has tremendously paid off. If you don't know the sloop in the modification is from Phillipj. His donation has saved us a lot of development time.

We really need help in is making 3d assets, such as forts, houses, weapons, objects, cannons, boats and clothing articles. We also need a dedicated project coordinator, public relations manager and project manager. (I'm an artist kind of filling all of these positions) If you'd like me to elaborate our needs I would be glad to.

We have a road map for the required ships, starting with the sloop. Next we're going to add an English Frigate based on the HMS Blandford. From there we're going to add a snow/brig (which was also kindly donated by Phillipj) and then a French frigate.

This is project is very possible. That hard part is over, we got the proof of concept to work in the game except for a melee system. Everything else simply requires additional help. If you're interested we can discuss it here or at the Nassau discord. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Back