• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Navigation Skill Broken?

CrankyPirate

Landlubber
Was a bit confused as to why the navigation skill was not going up and I have just done a quick test, it would appear that this is a rather game breaking bug, whether local to my install or not. When sailing around on the map (not in real time mode) then my repair skill steadily goes up for no reason. I have no damage to the ship, no cloth or planks on board to repair and am not in combat at all. I can only assume that the navigation/repair skill have somehow become swapped. Whether this is a total swap (ie repair is actually navigation is no known) but the missing log book quest still levels up nav as it should.

To answer the obvious questions; this was a fresh install of the latest version of COAS and a fresh install of the whole GOF V1.2 downloaded from this forum directly. I downloaded the patch 1 and the problem still exists.

I have now reinstalled the vanilla game (v 1.3) from back up files and the same thing is happening!, I do not understand... can anyone explain? it makes no sense. When just sailing around on the "toy ship globe map" my repair skill goes up constantly (to be precise in 20-30% increments) but my navigation skill does not increase at all.. is it meant to be like this? all tips threads/guides I have read suggest otherwise and I can think of no reason why this would happen.. really want to play this game but this is a bit of a spoiler really..

Edit** Have now done a total uninstall of the game, clean + defrag hard drive. Downloaded game fresh from Gamersgate, new fresh install and still same issue.. repair skill is raised by sailing, not navigation skill.

Thanks for bringing this up. There are not many of us working on the game anymore. I personally never noticed this but I am the kind of player that doesn't strategically or tactically try to specifically do things to increase certain abilities. I simply play the game and have fun and allow the abilities to naturally rise as I level up. I usually have both 100% navigation and repair (with some of the Firebat/Darkhymn manual modifiers added) by level 10 to 12. As I get better manuals I will discard the others.

It will be interesting to see if it is still a problem when Blackmark studios releases their expansions. I have no time to delve into this as I'm already trying to change and work on so many other things. This problem is not game breaking to the point that you don't advance, and it doesn't crash the game, so for now....it is what it is. At least we know about it now. Good catch.

I would encourage anyone that wants to play with or focus on some specific area or test to please do that and tell us about the results. We are very interested. If you have code experience - even better AND we would really like to invite you to join the mod team if you do!

MK

Thanks for bringing this up. There are not many of us working on the game anymore. I personally never noticed this but I am the kind of player that doesn't strategically or tactically try to specifically do things to increase certain abilities. I simply play the game and have fun and allow the abilities to naturally rise as I level up. I usually have both 100% navigation and repair (with some of the Firebat/Darkhymn manual modifiers added) by level 10 to 12. As I get better manuals I will discard the others.

It will be interesting to see if it is still a problem when Blackmark studios releases their expansions. I have no time to delve into this as I'm already trying to change and work on so many other things. This problem is not game breaking to the point that you don't advance, and it doesn't crash the game, so for now....it is what it is. At least we know about it now. Good catch.

I would encourage anyone that wants to play with or focus on some specific area or test to please do that and tell us about the results. We are very interested. If you have code experience - even better AND we would really like to invite you to join the mod team if you do!

MK

Thanks for the answer. After having thought about it I suppose it is not so much of an issue provided there are other ways to raise the skill; such as the port control quests. Like you say it does not beak the game really, and it appears to be part of the base game so it is nothing in the mod.

I wish I did have coding experience but alas my only creative skill is limited to images. I have made my own mini re-texture of the Peter Blood skin, but as I do not have any 3d editing software I am limited to just replacing the existing texture for my own purposes, and using the Herodescribe.txt to create my own custom named hero. I also have very limited time these days to play games.

As I have always been a huge piratical fan I would love to become involved on whatever level. I assume that when the new expansion arrives there will be a modding effort on this too. If I have the time I may try to do some texture work for it. Seems there would not be much point for GOF as it is now essentially finished.

Back