• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need an animator for CryDev development

Captain Murphy

Actually a Captain
TOP CONTRIBUTOR
Programmer
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I am at a point in the CE development on the Cannon objects that I could use some help from an animator. Here is the current progress on the cannons:

What is needed now is someone to learn how to make the models line up in CE to have the person 'mount' the gun and how to get other functions to work with sounds tied into them. Turns out CE has tied sounds into the animation process and not a code object anymore so an animator would be VERY helpful at this point. That would free me up to work on the ship class to get them damaging and sinking correctly as well instead of fumbling around in the animation tools and making funny stuff like a guy holding a cannon like a hat:

cannon_hat.PNG

Very cool, mate!

Indeed getting an animator around would be quite a step forward. I don't think we've ever had many people around who have done that.
Not on PotC/CoAS either.

Is anyone else in the CryDev PiratesAhoy! team able to add a job listing to the team's profile? If not, I'll do that soon.
Do we need animators that know how to use the CryEngine tools specifically, or just how to animate models in a 3D application?

Do we need animators that know how to use the CryEngine tools specifically, or just how to animate models in a 3D application?
I think the problem is that only an animator would know this...

Fair enough. I'll add "CryEngine experience preferable", then.

I tried that. It doesn't work as expected. When you mount the gun or do any view changes, it fires the sound event.

I have upload an "german" tutorial for animations in the CryEngine at the FTP. I havnt the skill to translate this but if interest, please take a look (MANY pictures included) and maybe it speaks for itself.

EDIT: It looks like, that the new direction of the CE animation process is moved to be more automated. The char itself have at fingers, hands, legs etc. some helpernodes that fit to its direction helpers at the objects itself. So when the char grab a gun then helper goes to helper and the char moves without an special setup keyframe animation by itself.
In my german tutorial you see the head and leg alignment that can check inside the charactereditor. I looks like a step forward for those automations. For example steers the leg alignment the reaction of the foots to the ground by itself and the head alignment follows the playerchar.

I send Captain Murphy in skype a link to my newest carriage and barrel setup with attachment- and muzzle helpers. When this works, I add some "finger-helpers" at the back of the cannon, that the char moves automated.
If I understand Crydev right, then it is need to create a new coded class as base for the follow setup in the mannequin editor. This tool steers the sound now. But here I give up. Its too far away from my 3D-work. I didnt have any knowledge about.

Oh, and the helper I find out (i have written this). With one part and lods per helpernode-CGA and attached other parts, it works. So we can return to drive the shiptest forward too.

Last edited:
Doublepost: Unfortunately I cant actual catch anyone of you guys at skype. I take today after work a look to the turret helpers and a mounted machine gun and its helpers. This helpers for the hands of the playerchar I will add to the cannonbarrel. This need to be tested! Please feedback here.

AND: I do have animated for the further CE3 an 3rd person char (dino). The cannon must be only useable and not pickable. When its only useable then the helpers steers the hands of the char. The rest Captain Murphy have setup in code. With a little bit more patience we will crack this too. When Crydev is not helping, move to Star Citizen Forums and ask there. I cant dance at 100 partys together, so when someone of you need modells for testings, please ask!
With the solved helpers at cga, we can work at the moveable yards for the ships too. I need some feedback here. Thank you.

In the mean time Ill add some modells to the parts database to give the modellers more things to work with. Parallel Ill work out the rest of the cannons and turn them to the right format when Ive got the info how to setup for the best codebase ingame.

Back