• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Need Help First time here.

Josh

Landlubber
Hey guys! I don't know where to post this so I guess here? I recently bought AOP2 game and LOVE IT. Even with all the problems I've been having. So Much better the "Age of pirates Caribbean Tales". Anyway I'm using windows 7. My platform is a compaq laptop:CQ61-420US. 3G of ram with I believe an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Graphics card with 128MB Display Cache Memory<Whatever all the means. I'm a newbie to computers but I'd like to learn.

My Problem is everytime I try to go North Past Nevis, The game shuts down and I get the engine stopped working B.S. I've had the engine crash on some occasions, but mostly while in the map mode sailing somewhere.Most of the time the game runs flawless for me. I've haven't had to turn down the graphics or anything because of lag or glitches.
The things I've tried are:
Disk clean up
Defrag
Uninstall and then re-install
Downloaded correct tags
Did the Program compatibility for windows vista service pack 1
I am currently downloading the 3.2 full mod

In Short my laptop doesn't even groan while running this. I do have 2 Anit virus programs. AVG and Avast. If anyone could help me with this matter please do.

Again please forgive me if this is the wrong spot to post this type of question. I'm lost on what to do.
Thanks in advance.

Well now I'm trying to copy the game to the games section instead of the default place. If anyones out there...

Sorry, I can't help with the answer, but it's now in the right place for the people who can :)

Ahoy Josh, welcome aboard mate! :dance

Your laptop should have no problems handling the game hardware wise anyway, you should have plenty of horsepower. The one thing that might help a bit is expanding your memory to a full 4 gig, the max your laptop will support, but that really would be just a luxury. The extra ram could also be used as video memory though, so that might help a bit, but it should have nothing to do with the problem your describing.

It sounds like you have taken some good basic steps to try and track down the problem, I would definitely recommend not installing the game to the default Program Files directory, Microsoft's "security features" really play havoc with CoAS and the mods, you can simply copy the main Playlogic folder to C:\games\ or something and it will run just fine, but from your above post, you have already found that out.

Two full blown anti-virus programs on the same computer is just asking for trouble however, both will try and hog system resources and will conflict with each other a great deal, I would highly recommend uninstalling one of them. I would of course recommend that you keep Avast, other than the obvious pirate reference, it is a better virus program than AVG, but either would be adequate.

Does it just shut down north of Nevis? Or does going north of a certain point map wide cause the crash? Sometimes it can be a bit frustrating to get this one going, but it is well worth the effort!

:dance

It sounds like you have taken some good basic steps to try and track down the problem, I would definitely recommend not installing the game to the default Program Files directory, Microsoft's "security features" really play havoc with CoAS and the mods, you can simply copy the main Playlogic folder to C:\games\ or something and it will run just fine, but from your above post, you have already found that out.

Two full blown anti-virus programs on the same computer is just asking for trouble however, I would of course recommend that you keep Avast

Well funny enough, after more google searching I found your advise in another thread. So I've installed it for the 3RD TIME! But this time I made sure I installed everything I could into the games section. It has crashed on me once so far while doing the Peter Blood beginning quest. But the great news though is it's only been once. I've been able to sail where ever. I docked at the French Colony below Nevis and was able to still go past. Lol I'm wanting it to crash now.

Avast has got to be one of the best I think. It's the only one that does the boot time scan and can be trusted enough to go anywhere on the internet. Of course the obvious places aside. The only reason why I've kept AVG is because I had my hard drive take a dump on me when one day my laptop fell 5ft off my desk.( Little Bro's fault). Anyway when it was given back to me, the repair shop installed AVG and I haven't messed with it since.You're the second person who's told me not to use 2 anit viruses, so it's coming off.

One more question if you don't mind? I've downloaded the Combined Mod. What do I do? I tried installing it, but nothing showed up.

Back