• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need help with POTC crashing

luket31

Landlubber
Hey please may you help me out? I really want to play this game as I'm a very big Pirate enthusiast. Well I've installed POTC clean from the disk but when I click New Game at the menu it crashes. I'm running on a Windows 7, 6GB Memory, 64Bit, Intel Core i5-2430MB CPU @2.40 GHz. I havn't tried installing a mod yet as I wanted to see if the fresh install will work first, I am wanting to install mods for it when I get the issues fixed though.
Error logs;
System
Code:
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Scanning modules\[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Loading modules...[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Loaded 0[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Reset...[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Initializing CORE...[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Creating atoms space: 128[/INDENT]
[INDENT] done[/INDENT]
[INDENT]initializing complete[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Initializing DirectX 8[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Techniques: 179 techniques compiled.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Techniques: compiled by 95876202 ticks.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]BeginScene[/INDENT]
[INDENT]The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value[/INDENT]
[INDENT]
Compile
Code:
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Init encounters complete.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Init weathers complete. 10 weathers found.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Init character names complete.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Main_LogoVideo() 0[/INDENT]
[INDENT]PauseAllSounds[/INDENT]
[INDENT]ResetSoundScheme[/INDENT]
[INDENT]proc_break_video()[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Main_LogoVideo() -1[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Can`t key named as: VK_B[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Number of locations: 288[/INDENT]
[INDENT]bool CreateParticleEntity()[/INDENT]
[INDENT]n is 2[/INDENT]
[INDENT]SETTING MUSIC: music\Coridor.ogg[/INDENT]
[INDENT]ResetSoundScheme[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Number of locations: 288[/INDENT]
[INDENT]bool CreateParticleEntity()[/INDENT]
[INDENT]n is 2[/INDENT]
[INDENT]!!! Reload to 216[/INDENT]
[INDENT]LoadLocation(ref loc) Tutorial_Deck[/INDENT]
[INDENT]

Thanks,
Luke.​
[/code][/INDENT]

What graphics card do you have? See the link to our FAQ in my signature for some common issues and solutions.

I don't have a graphics card, but my laptop can play Skyrim and other games like that, so I don't see why not this game =/

You don't have a graphics card at all? How is that even possible???

AGH! Intel Onboard graphics card, is it? That's the very worst for this game. As per our FAQ:

The game tends not to work if:
- You have an Intel Onboard Graphics Card [workaround with Swiftshader Software Rendering - more info]

Note: SwiftShader is software rendering that bypasses your graphics card, so it will not give good performance. It's the best you can do without getting a real GFX card though.

I have an intel chipset and PotC doesn't run on my computer without swiftshader as well.
But I tried AoP 2 CoAS and it works fine on lowest settings, so I suggest you try it too.

Furthermore, if you have the intel 82945g card (which I don't think so, as it's very old), you can download some modded drivers which can significantly increase your performance but Windows Vista or 7 are needed and as I have XP I can't test it with PotC or CoAS.

Anyway, I've found a program called 3d analyzer which can make a game think your graphics card is another than the one you really have. Would this make PotC run on a computer with an intel chipset?

Anyway, I've found a program called 3d analyzer which can make a game think your graphics card is another than the one you really have. Would this make PotC run on a computer with an intel chipset?
That sounds interesting; could be worth a try. Of course PotC generally WORKS on an Intel GFX card. UNTIL it has to render anything 3D and then it just crashes.

I just posted the link:

AGH! Intel Onboard graphics card, is it? That's the very worst for this game. As per our FAQ:

The game tends not to work if:
- You have an Intel Onboard Graphics Card [workaround with Swiftshader Software Rendering - more info]

Note: SwiftShader is software rendering that bypasses your graphics card, so it will not give good performance. It's the best you can do without getting a real GFX card though.

Ok then. I'll download and install Build 14 Beta 2.1 and post the results here!
Try with the unmodded game. Installing the modpack first isn't going to help. :(

Back