• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Hubble Pics

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
NASA has released the first new batch of Hubble space telescope pics since the servicing mission to the telescope by the space shuttle Atlantis back in May. In my opinion, the visual images that Hubble has taken over the years more than justifies the cost of putting it in orbit. That's not even taking into account the science that this one piece of hardware has delivered since it was first launched. These new imigas are simply stunning! This one representative photo of the The Butterfly Nebula is scaled down.

384568main_ero_ngc6302_4x3_800-600763.jpg

You can view all the others on NASA's web page and see them in there full glory HERE!

The cost would be lower if one parameter wasn't inproperly set in laser driver which polished main mirror. After putting the telescope in orbit there came sad surprise - all images wasn't sharp. Initially thay had to be computer corrected, but in the first half of 1990s additional len was added which improved its optics. Now it's even better (although according to former plans HST mission should be already over and in circa 2010 NGST - Next Generation Space Telescope - would be ready) and images are really stunning. It's a good thing that initial problems was solved, so now humankind have such wonderful scientific instrument available for space exploration - one of the best at the moment (at least until starship Enterprise is constructed with cpt. James T. Kirk on its bridge)!

pirate_kk

Indeed pirate_kk, the Hubble definitely had a rocky start for sure, it almost got canceled completely after the Challenger exploded. The Next Generation Space Telescope has been renamed the James Webb Space Telescope and is currently scheduled for launch in 2014. You can find out more about that one HERE.

Thanks Thagarr! :bow

I definitely have to refresh my knowledge about recent events. Apparently I'm occupied by only one field (merging Black Holes) for too long!

pirate_kk

Would be great if they could bring back the Hubble and put it in a museum when it's time for it to retire, rather than leaving it up there or sending it to a fiery death in the atmosphere. :yes

Yes, I agree that would be great Stallion! It would make a fantastic exhibit for the Smithsonian!

Unfortunately, it really just isn't possible. I suppose it might be theoretically feasible to recover it with a shuttle and stow it back in the cargo bay for a return to earth. Then you would have to remove a lot of external hardware, including the solar panels, which were not designed to retract once they were unfolded. That kind of work in it's self would present a major challenge and a lot of potential for risk for the astronauts and the shuttle. But then you also run into the hazardous materials that are still on board, rocket fuel and other various gasses designed to keep the instrumentation cool. The potential for those leaking into the cargo bay and building up during a fiery re-entry is just way to much of a risk to take. Add to that the fact that the shuttles time is almost up, and it really just isn't feasible. There are other dangers too, but I think that gives you a good idea. The Hubble was designed to be deorbited and most of it will burn up during re-entry, probably over an uninhabited part of the south Pacific.

Not to mention space barnacles. :cheeky I've always figured everything that goes up there has to come back with something stuck to its outside - some small thing that escapes burn up during the craft's reentry. Or, perhaps I just read too many wacky books. xD:

They should keep it up there a while longer, more than six or seven years more like they are planning now.

Not to mention space barnacles. :cheeky I've always figured everything that goes up there has to come back with something stuck to its outside - some small thing that escapes burn up during the craft's reentry. Or, perhaps I just read too many wacky books. xD:

xD: Actually, that isn't quite as wacky as it sounds. One of the recent experiments that the last shuttle mission just brought back from the International Space Station was to test if microbes could survive being exposed to space. They exposed some earth rocks containing microbes and bacteria to space for two months to see if any microbes inside the rocks could survive the exposure. One of the many theories about how life on earth started proposes that it may have been seeded by microbes or bacteria trapped inside asteroids. Interesting stuff!

Old Salt, I would like to see the Hubble's mission extended indefinitely too, but it really isn't practical. With the retirement of the shuttle, there is no way to resupply or service it for any time in the foreseeable future. The new Orion crew module just isn't designed to have that type of service or resupply capability. The new James Webb space telescope will be able to provide a lot more science than the Hubble is capable of... but we probably wont get the same awe inspiring pictures from that one because most of it's observations will be done outside the visible spectrum. What I would like to see is a permanent telescope placed on the moon along with the permanent presence there that Orion was designed for. I have absolutely no faith in the politicians making the funding decisions for that though. They are far more concerned about what lobbyists will be paying for there next golf trip to the Bahamas, or lining their freezers with cold cash!

Back