• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New strategy game from Akella: Besieger

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Now this looks like my kind of game! It looks like it will probably only be published in Russia though. Any of you Russian pirates have any more info on this game?

http://www.akella.com/`pub-besieger`-ru.shtml

I have a feeling the Babelfish translation just doesn't do it justice.

dunno about that thagarr, if you look at the screenshots they using english n the game

What?? You never heard of Valkyries Spaz? :rolleyes:

The Valkyries ("choosers of the slain", alternative spelling: Walkyries) are figures of Norse mythology. Generally held to be daughters of Odin, they appear as the beautiful `warrior-maidens` on winged horses, armed with helmets and spears. Traditionally, they were clad in red corselets. Their purpose is to visit battlefields and chose the most heroic of those who have died in battle (called Einherjar), to carry them off to Valhalla. This was necessary because Odin needed warriors to fight at his side at the preordained battle at the end of the world, Ragnarok. Any maiden who became a Valkyrie would, generally held belief states, remain immortal and invulnerable—as long as she remained a virgin.  
The Valkyries also acted as Odin's messengers. Their armor, while doing his bidding, was thought to have caused Aurora Borealis.  

But what does that have to do with this game though? I didn't see anything about flying vikings :woot Maybe I missed something...

Anyway, I found out some more info on the game, you were right Keith, looks like an English version will be released in June 2004 as well. Here is the web site with a little more info :

http://www.besiegergame.com/

Ok, wait, I did miss something :rolleyes:: Here is the official press release from November 2003 :

For immediate release
DreamCatcher Games to Publish Besieger `Multi-player` `Real-time` 3D Strategy Comes to `PC-CD`

Toronto – November 26th 2003, DreamCatcher Games today announced that it will
publish Besieger for the `PC-CD` in `North-America` and Europe. Distribution terms have
not been agreed in all territories at time of press.
This new `real-time` 3D strategy is set in a medieval fantasy world in which rival
players wage war as either Viking or Cimmerian warriors. Gamers will need to
conquer factions such as Ogres, Werewolves and Centaurs and besiege towns on
horseback or build primitive flying machines to win their battles. Users will also have
to smash their way into the enemy’s heavily defended Citadels, while in turn
defending their own domains.
Besieger is `story-based` and involves a series of quests that determine the game’s
eventual outcome. As well as the bloody battles, each player must create an
economy to allow them to construct or upgrade 40 types of buildings and more than
50 different units for battle. They will also ‘create’ and train workers for fighting and
other key skills. This experience and fighting efficiency carries over as each level is
conquered.

The impressive feature set also includes:
• Powerful DirectX™ `9-compliant`, proprietary 3D game engine using `real-time`
terraforming and LoD (Level of Detail), allowing the game to provide `zoom-in`
or `zoom-out` views, without any fog.
• Epic battles involving hundreds of single opponents.
• Cinematographic and entirely free camera with convenient control modes, to
allowing for `first-person` battles.
• Twelve huge levels with photorealistic landscapes, located in mountains,
deserts, forests, etc., with thousands of trees, stones and other objects on
each level.
• Hundreds of `high-polygon` models boasting skeletal animations and allencompassing
damage model.
• Realistic sky (sun, moon, clouds and stars) as well as day/night and weather
management will provide unparalleled immersion.
• Up to 16 person LAN and Internet `multi-player` with a variety of modes
Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Cooperative, Hold Artifact, King of the Hill,
Free for all.
The game is developed by Primal Software, Moscow and it will ship in spring 2004. It
will also ship with a map editor and `script-language` support. A game trailer,
screenshots and basic game information can be found at http://www.besieger.com.
About DreamCatcher Games:
DreamCatcher Games is a `fast-growing` publisher and distributor of interactive
entertainment for both core gamers and the mass market. Established in 1996,
DreamCatcher is committed to publishing great games on the PC, PlayStation®2
computer entertainment system, Xbox™, Game Boy® Advance and GameCube™
gaming consoles. Visit www.DreamCatchergames.com for further details.
About Primal Software:
The company features a 38 strong team, with roots in encyclopedic software and the
RTS genre. For further details visit http://www.`primal-soft`.com/companyinfo.shtml

Press Contact
Tara Reed
Public Relations
DreamCatcher
treed@dreamcatchergames.com
416.638.5000 Ext 268

Yup! I didn't really notice them in the pics, I was to happy about yet another viking game!! I am a bit concerned about the flying longboats... but the rest of the game looks kinda cool.

Back