• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New swords for Cortes and Drake

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
This is the Sword of Cortes, which you can get during the "Hard Labours of an Assassin" sidequest:
bladesc.jpg
It looks like a cutlass with a discoloured hilt, though I can't find a cutlass with similar blade and normal hilt. But perhaps this, from AoP, might be better?
bladesc2.jpg
Alternatively, this retexture of the same sort of sword which is used for the Corsair's Pride:
bladesc3.jpg bladesc3_close.jpg
That's not a gem on the pommel. It's Cortes' coat of arms.

This is Francis Drake's sword, which you get either for completing the "Angelique Moulin's Father" sidequest or by playing as Drake himself:
bladefd.jpg
It's basically a piranha with a peculiar colour scheme. Here's my suggested replacement, also from AoP:
bladefd2.jpg

Does anyone else want to see the basic but odd-coloured swords replaced? If so, which of the alternatives for Cortes would you prefer?

I have used the model you suggest for Drake as a quest blade. Maybe something else is possible?

I have used the model you suggest for Drake as a quest blade. Maybe something else is possible?
Maybe then the AoP Cortes version can be the one for Drake?
And the PotC Cortes version with his coat of arms can be the new Cortes version.
With the AoP suggestion for Drake already used by Jack, that would allow all three to have a purpose somewhere. :cheers

There's a bit of a problem with the one I wanted to use for Cortes. The same model is used for both the Corsair's Pride and the French Nobility sword - I'd rather not have a third sword using the same model. Likewise, although a retexture of the back-bladed sword could work for Francis Drake, it's already duplicated for the Hibernian. Either I'll use the AoP version; or I'll see what I can do with a retexture of the Maltese longsword or the Iberian longsword, both of which have flattish pommels suitable for the coat of arms.

@Jack Rackham: can you find anything in TEHO which looks remotely like this:
drake_sword.jpg
Never mind the inscriptions, I can deal with those by texturing. Key features are the straight crossguard, a knuckle-bow, and no cup - which rules out the AoP sword that I suggested for Cortes. The fold of metal from the crossguard to the knuckle-bow would be nice but is less important.

Otherwise, since there was no objection to the AoP sword for Cortes, there's another option. Looking through the "Woodes Rogers" swords, "bladeA2" is similar to that, but with a different texture. So, if a similar but retextured model is allowed, then I could retexture the AoP sword I wanted to use for Francis Drake, which would actually make it better because it should be more silver rather than gold, and with some engraving on both hilt and blade.

These are the closest TEHO blade I found:

blade_07.jpg

blade_13.jpg

blade_14.jpg

If you instead choose to retexture bladeA2 it's fine with me.

@Jack Rackham: The first of those looks most suitable, with plain crossguard and no cup. Can you upload it, please?

Last edited:
Change of plan on the sword of Cortes. A Google Image search for "Hernan Cortes sword" turned up this:
espadahernancortes.jpg
It's a replica, of course - there's probably no evidence that Cortes really had a sword like that. But several companies sell something similar, so it's as good a source as any. And if you think the sword looks familiar, you'd be right - it's "blade14", alias "Spanish nobility longsword". Other companies sell a version with red leather grip and brass/gold hilt, identical to PoTC's "blade14", but this one has a yellowish grip and silver/iron hilt - perhaps less decorative and more suited to a soldier, and in any case distinctive from the sword already in the game.

So:
cortes_sword.jpg cortes_interface.jpg
In fact I used the AoP version of the same sword because it applies the texture to the blade differently and it works better for a certain detail. The interface description says:
The blade inscription reads "Hernán Cortés 1520 A.D.".
And now it does. It's not all that clear, which is just as well because that means it's not obvious that the other side of the blade has the mirror image of the inscription. :D

After considering various options, I settled for retexturing AoP's "blade4". The original, as used in "Woodes Rogers", is plain and brightly coloured; Drake's sword is the exact opposite, ornate but monotone. Drake himself gets a slightly different version, and always has; it's the same model but with a separate entry in "initItems.c" to allow for a different description.
drake_sword.jpg drake_sword_interface.jpg

None of the sword models allow for an accurate depiction of the real sword, but abandoning any hope of a fully realistic sword meant I could add a small detail not present on either the real sword or the original PoTC "Francis Drake's Sword".
drake_sword_interface2.jpg drake_sword_closeup.jpg
The description had to be altered; it previously said "It's at least a century old and is covered in a blue-green patina" but the new one doesn't have the blue-green patina, so now the description says "It's at least a century old and is ornately engraved". But it also says "An inscription on the blade reads "Sir Francis Drake"". And now it does. You probably won't see the inscription unless you look really closely with free camera, but it's there.

By the way, I'm not over-writing the original models or textures, so "bladeSC.gm", "bladeFD.gm" and their respective texture files are still available for use in other ways. In particular, @Bartolomeu o Portugues, I seem to recall you had plans to put the cursed La Marianna galleon into one of your storylines - perhaps one of these swords would be suitable for its captain?

By the way, I'm not over-writing the original models or textures, so "bladeSC.gm", "bladeFD.gm" and their respective texture files are still available for use in other ways. In particular, @Bartolomeu o Portugues, I seem to recall you had plans to put the cursed La Marianna galleon into one of your storylines - perhaps one of these swords would be suitable for its captain?

You're right. In the next Bartolomeu quest, La Marianna galleon will be used.
Yes, the captain of this galleon could use one of these swords. :)

@Grey Roger @Pieter Boelen Isn't those new swords a little to big? And the sword of Triton too?
That's just my opinion. :bonaparte
The sword of Cortes should be the right size, judging by GM Viewer. But the sword of Francis Drake does look a bit oversize, so I'll shrink it down to about the same size as other swords.

Triton was a god so it's not too surprising if his sword is rather large. xD But some of the other swords could probably do with a bit of shrinking. The problem is that several of the nicer swords are imports from "Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales" or "City of Abandoned Ships", and those games seem to operate on a different scale. So swords imported from them do look oversized in "Pirates of the Caribbean" - in fact, I've known this for some time and must have forgotten to resize the model I used for Drake's sword.

Back