• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Officer Loyalty

alexandaaarrrrr

Landlubber
If this has been suggested before, excuse me, but:

While i was playing today, the idea of officers having a 'loyalty' attribute that determined whether or not they would stick with you and fight, even when outnumbered 10 to 1, or would run away after a slight scratch from a single enemy, came to my mind. I think it would add another layer of realism to the game, i mean, i can't see anyone giving their life for someone that had JUST hired them thirty seconds ago... Officers with low loyalty may say "hey man, i just don't think going in that dungeon is a good idea.. peace." While officers with high loyalty could even refuse to stay behind when you board another ship or something..

I guess there are many things loyalty could depend on.. the most obvious being howlong they've served under you. I think your reputation could also play a factor(the whole reputation system would definately have to be reworked though), if you were highly respected then officers would be more likely to have higher loyalty right off the bat, and vice versa..

Actually, as i write this post, a lot ofother possibilities are coming ot mind, for instance, you'd have to be carefull about assigning officers with low loyalty to your other ships, since they may attack you, steal your ship, turn you into a hostile nation, etc...

So.. input?

aye mate! what a great idea! that IS truly a good idea, and maybe one of the modders can work this out, but it sounds complicated, but nonetheless WORKABLE...just a lot of coding i think. :) :yes

Heh. That's one of those `half-implemented` features, I believe.

As it's currently set up, it's loyalty to you when you do something they don't agree with.
I.e. if they're Evil, they don't like you being a `namby-pamby` hero.
And, if they're Good, they don't like you being a rotten scoundrel.
(Nigel vs. Artois, case in point, respectively. And they react differently during gambled girl quest, or should).

This would certainly make the game much more interesting! It would be cool if your officers had a loyalty to a specific nation. I'm wondering does this feature work both on land and sea?

Back