• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Opium smuggling quest messes up soldier AI groups

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hey,

So Im loosing hope of ever finishing this game. Its very, very glitchy.
Upon entering Kralendijk to do "Kapitein of Kralendijk" sidequest Im being attacked by some of the soldiers and game goes into combat mode. After killing all soldiers game remains in combat mode and Im unable to enter any buildings or exit area. I got the idea to fast travel from Kralendijk port to tailor but just before arresting governor I have to enter main city and once again "combat mode". The only thing I can do is load saved game. I decided to skip this quest due to this bug and finish other quest "Elizabeth Shaw's Disappearance". Guess what? The same thing happens. I enter Antigua. Game goes into combat mode and again Im unable to enter buildings or leave area. I believe some soldiers spawn inside the buildings or in some inaccesable areas and therefore its impossible to see them and kill them, ending combat mode. Btw in both cases I have friendly relations with those countries and am having their flag waving on my ship. I tested few other cities and most of the time Im not being attacked in other cities. It happens whether I have companions with me or not. Im basically unable to continue playing any further.
I wrote some code in "console.c" to make every soldier in Kralendijk and Antigua report his AI group, then put the Dutch soldiers into group "DOUWESEN_SOLDIERS" and the British into "ENGLAND_SOLDIERS", then put them all into "Guardian" mode:
Code:
for(i = 1; i<=8; i++)
{
   ch=CharacterFromID("Dou_soldier_" + i);
   traceandlog("Dou_soldier_" + i + " was in group '" + ch.chr_ai.group + "'");
   LAi_group_MoveCharacter(ch, "DOUWESEN_SOLDIERS");
   LAi_SetGuardianType(ch);
}

for(i = 1; i<=3; i++)
{
   ch=CharacterFromID("Dou_patrol_" + i);
   traceandlog("Dou_patrol_" + i + " was in group '" + ch.chr_ai.group + "'");
   LAi_group_MoveCharacter(ch, "DOUWESEN_SOLDIERS");
   LAi_SetPatrolType(ch);
}

for(i = 1; i<=6; i++)
{
   ch=CharacterFromID("Ant_soldier_" + i);
   traceandlog("Ant_soldier_" + i + " was in group '" + ch.chr_ai.group + "'");
   LAi_group_MoveCharacter(ch, "ENGLAND_SOLDIERS");
   LAi_SetGuardianType(ch);
}

Here's what appeared in "compile.log" as a result:
Code:
Dou_soldier_1 was in group 'guardian'
Dou_soldier_2 was in group 'corpses'
Dou_soldier_3 was in group 'corpses'
Dou_soldier_4 was in group 'guards'
Dou_soldier_5 was in group 'corpses'
Dou_soldier_6 was in group 'guards'
Dou_soldier_7 was in group 'guards'
Dou_soldier_8 was in group 'OpiumAmbush'
Dou_patrol_1 was in group 'corpses'
Dou_patrol_2 was in group 'OpiumAmbush'
Dou_patrol_3 was in group 'corpses'
Ant_soldier_1 was in group 'OpiumAmbush'
Ant_soldier_2 was in group 'OpiumAmbush'
Ant_soldier_3 was in group 'corpses'
Ant_soldier_4 was in group 'guards'
Ant_soldier_5 was in group 'OpiumAmbush'
Ant_soldier_6 was in group 'OpiumAmbush'
Evidently the opium smuggling quest is not putting soldiers back to their normal state when an ambush is finished; or it's putting them into a wrong state prior to an ambush which should not happen because @Paul did not have any opium while in Kralendijk, nor was I carrying any when I loaded his savegame, fast-travelled to the ship to avoid the attack in Kralendijk town, then sailed to Antigua.

So I'll disable the quest in the next update. I'm not deleting anything; I'm just commenting out the blocks of code in "quests_common.c" and "Smuggler Agent_dialog.c" which activate the quest. The opium den can stay open for now, partly because opium is currently needed in the "Mysterious Plants" quest, and partly because it shows up in the "Gold Bug" storyline.

@Jack Rackham: the storyline also assigns a unit of opium to character "maroon1". Are you supposed to get opium from him or from the opium den? (Does it improve the storyline if the opium den is closed so you must get it from "maroon1"?)

That opium item is just another item added for looting reasons. Not important at all. Can be skipped completely. No opium den i GodBug.

The mod has had an Opium Den for a long, LONG time before the "opium" item with its functionality was ever added.

You can buy the ether bottle in the opium den only or find it in a chest and the tattoo's are only available there. I would not like to see it leave the game. I have done the opium smuggling quests before and this is additional bling for the game - but agree that Levis's change for this tor Rum or Whiskey would be good too.

Back