• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Notice Ownership Transfer & Site Updates

PiratesAhoy! Community

Commodore
Staff member
Public Relations
You might have noticed by now that @Keith officially transferred site ownership to @Pieter Boelen last Wednesday.
As such, we are officially under new management.
And while Pieter is kind-of an old salt, a fresh wind is blowing now.
From here on, expect plenty of changes and updates to everything related to this community.

As always, any and all community feedback remains welcome.
So if there is anything to say you have, then SPEAK UP! :aar

As long though as everyone remains silent, our new captain is going to assume there are no objections to what is happening.
After all, Pieter is Dutch and as they say there: "Wie zwijgt, stemt toe!"
(Translation: "Who remains silent, agrees!")

Things have been stagnant here for too long; to the point that the "external world" had started to think we are dead.
Time to show the rest of the planet that we are still very much alive; and are getting ready to surface once again! :cheers

This thread will contain a list of major changes being done.
Be sure to keep with the times here! :treasure:

So what is going to be happening now? See here for our initial discussion of where to take this community from here:
Discussion - The Present and Future of "PiratesAhoy!"?

As my first act, I undid the banning of @modernknight1 and unstickied this old thread:
Statement Regarding PiratesAhoy! Policy
I want to start with a clean slate. And maintaining old grudges does not seem like the way to do it.

Secondly, with a new future ahead, it is time to completely reconsider our rules as well.
So look here and PITCH IN: Need Help - New Forum Rules?

On the technical side, I am NOT a website IT expert and therefore I'll be needing all the help I can get.
See here: Need Help - Website Hosting: Help For Future?

Community funding is also something we're going to be seriously considering in the near future.
In fact, we started already here: Need Help - Community Donations

We are also going to need to get MUCH closer communication going on strategy, deciding on worthy tasks and assigning them to our various members.
For starters we'll be using the forum for that, but direct interaction is also going be a great help going forward.
So I am very much intending to bring back our monthly(?) in-person meetings from the Hearts of Oak Days: Discussion - Video Conferences

Amongst the seriousness, there is fun to be had though too.
With the biggest bit of fun being posted today by our very own @Tempesta:

You probably saw the interview already.
But new to you: WE HAVE A BRAND NEW PiratesAhoy! MUSIC THEME!!

He let himself be inspired by such greats as "Cutthroat Island" by John Debney and "Captain Horatio Hornblower, R.N." by Robert Farnon.
Those are two of @Pieter Boelen's absolute favourite seafaring films; and their music is equally great.
Brassy, old-fashioned; and really filled with a true, genuine love for the sea.
Just as good pirate music should be! :sail

Continuing today, @Volodymyr and Veronika of Mauris (developer of Save the Pirate and the upcoming Corsairs Legacy) asked for our help.
They are looking for a voice-over artist to make their awesome Russian video series available also for OUR audience here:
Voice-Over Artist Wanted!
I am honestly quite honoured that they are willing to make use of our help;
and I have high hopes this can be the start of a fruitful collaboration in the future! :bow

Secondly, in a first attempt to clean up our forum structure, I got rid of the "Archives".
This means "Hearts of Oak" gets a more prominent place again; and I am considering re-opening those forums.
Starting with Recruitment Forum, which is now indeed open; with a first job opening listed.

The way I see it, if we really want to make a MARK on the future, we're going to need a NAMED ACTIVE PROJECT once again.
We can't keep banking on "Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons" forever, after all.

Secondly, in a first attempt to clean up our forum structure, I got rid of the "Archives".
This means "Hearts of Oak" gets a more prominent place again; and I am considering re-opening those forums.
Starting with Recruitment Forum, which is now indeed open; with a first job opening listed.

I remember there being quite a few interesting gameplay ideas in the early HoO days, and I'm certain there were even more ideas after I left, so I'm very happy to see this become available again.

Amongst the seriousness, there is fun to be had though too.
With the biggest bit of fun being posted today by our very own @Tempesta:

You probably saw the interview already.

He let himself be inspired by such greats as "Cutthroat Island" by John Debney and "Captain Horatio Hornblower, R.N." by Robert Farnon.
Those are two of @Pieter Boelen's absolute favourite seafaring films; and their music is equally great.
Now that's good news! A theme song is a good way to show we mean business! Thank you @Tempesta! :cheers

Congrats to our new commander!!:bonaparte
Looking forward to keep on contributing to the music department and a bit of video production as well ;)
The best is yet to come!

That's way too much introduction for my humble music but I'm glad you like it!:p
I'll show you the entire piece once finished!

I have looked through the various threads about the news and thought I could comment here.

I know I'm not here very often, but don't think that means that I've lost interest. Make no mistake, I've been wanting to pick up where I left off for a long time now, but I'm just not able to yet. Among other things my graphics card broke so now I don't even have a graphics card and with the situation in the world being what it is I have to use the integrated graphics chip in my Intel CPU, so I really can't even do any modding right now even if I had time.

I'm glad to see that this place continues to be around, and hope that Pieter has settled in nicely as the new owner and that things will keep going well for the site. Big thank you to Keith for having kept it around this far. This is one of the best communities I have ever been to and I absolutely think it is important that it continues to be available along with all of its information and content. I don't know what I can do other than get back as soon as I can and finish my own contributions, which remains high on my list as soon as I get pesky and lingering life problems sorted as best as I can. I still try to check in every now and then.

In preparation for continuing modding, I can take this opportunity to ask: Are older Build Mod versions available somewhere? When I do stuff I need 12.1, 13, and 14 to make code comparisons so I can roll back if needed.

Overall, still nice to see that the site is here whenever I visit!

I have to use the integrated graphics chip in my Intel CPU
Just in case you need it:

hope that Pieter has settled in nicely as the new owner
Still workin' on it.
It's a long process.
Lots of moving parts to deal with.

Big thank you to Keith for having kept it around this far.
All Hail, King @Keith! :bow

Are older Build Mod versions available somewhere? When I do stuff I need 12.1, 13, and 14 to make code comparisons so I can roll back if needed.
There's a few here: Downloads - Pirates of the Caribbean: Build Mod 13 for Pirates of the Caribbean
Plus: http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/b11.exe
And I have a gazillion Build 14 editions on my external hard drives.

I finally have a proper computer and enough time to continue my work on modding again. Something will probably divert my attention away from it again so I won't be able to spend as much time on it as I want to, but the idea is to really spend as much time on it as I can and actually finish my work on it now. When I have something to release I'll upload it, and whoever wants it can add it to their game.

Thank you very much for those links, Pieter. Do you happen to also have build12.1.exe and could upload it, please? Just in case it is not exactly the same as build12_full.zip, however small the difference might be. I'm thinking since there are two maybe there is some difference.

EDIT: In addition to Build 12.1 it turns out I could have use for Build 14 Beta 3 and Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 7 as well.

EDIT 2: Thanks to Pieter I now have both the build12.1.exe and build12_full.zip files. It turns out that they are the same. The ZIP file simply contains the EXE file but with the name "Build 12", but they are the same file with the same contents, no difference. Just packed in different ways for some reason.

Last edited:
Back