• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Painted Ocean

I just stumbled on this post. The "Painted Ocean" is a wonder simulation. Its unfinished -but definitely worth a try . IIt's small DL and was easy to to install. Ive spent hrs with it already.

In this sim you control the individual deployment of sails, masts, rigging, trimming of a sailing Man-Of-War. You can test under a variety of ocean and weather conditions. Very detailed shiphandling under sail- wow! It had me looking for my copy of John Harland's : "Seamanship in the Age of Sail" as a reference. Its unfinished -but definitely worth a try . Ive spent hrs with it already.

Are there any other sims that give you this level of control of this type of ship?

But could be there was a browser-based one where you could set/lower specific sails and see what they did.
Maybe @Armada remembers?
You might be thinking of the HMS Surprise simulator: Fun

It's quite an old project, but I just downloaded it and it still works! Source code is also provided if anyone wants to see how it works. :sail

You might be thinking of the HMS Surprise simulator: Fun

It's quite an old project, but I just downloaded it and it still works! Source code is also provided if anyone wants to see how it works. :sail
Ah! Yes, that's the one! :cheers

Thanks. I remember that one too. The "HMS Surprise simulator" works like a spreadsheet calculator . You change variables and it calculates force characteristics on the sails under different conditions and displays on a 2D graphic.

I read that when " "Naval Action" was being developed they considered modeling individual sails but back off- too bad it wasn't made an option. So, it seems these two square sail simulators are the only ones.

I read that when " "Naval Action" was being developed they considered modeling individual sails but back off- too bad it wasn't made an option.
We considered it for a while too. But ultimately it does add a lot of complications; especially since if you do it, you have to do it right.

Back