• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Perfect Game

Marcus Hawk

Landlubber
Despite the dozens of available Pirate games I have yet to find one that meets the expectations I have for a pirate game. I want a Pirate RPG, and it seems all the components and concepts already exist and are successful, they are just not in one game. Because of this, I want to make a hypothetical game by taking pieces of many games, then hear the feedback of the community.

Some may object, but I want to use AC4 as a base. In my opinion, the world was amazing and most of the mechanics were great. Lets face it, the climbing mechanics associated with AC are perfect for a Pirate setting. I want a RPG set in the wonderful world created in AC4, but with buildings you can actually enter and meaningful npcs. AC4's plot needs to be burned because not only are you restricted(the opposite of how playing as a Pirate should feel), you are also caught up in the whole Templar-Assassin BS.

I want to take the base of AC4, minus the plot, and combine it with Skyrim, Mass Effect, and Pirates!. I know that sounds crazy but hear me out.

I will start by making a case for combining it with Skyrim. The beautiful open-world of AC4, but with cities that act as more than just a backdrop. Rather than just running on a roof in a fishing village you can go inside the house and speak with the npcs. You could get a massive amount of side quests like Skyrim, all the while taking your character exactly where you want. In Skyrim you could become an assassin, a mage, a thief, a bard, a warrior, etc. In a Pirate world you could choose to be a Privateer, a Pirate, a Governor, a Trader, an Admiral, or even all of them.

My case for Mass Effect is the personal aspect. The members of your crew could be similar to on the Normandy, where you have a personal relationship with all of them and try to earn their loyalty. Rather than traveling alone, when at shore you could ask a few to accompany you, also like in ME. Also, your fame could be positive or negative depending on the types of quests you take and decisions you make, similar to paragon or renegade points in ME.

Pirates! is an obvious choice for my mix. Sure it is strategy, but what would a Pirate game be without some trade route planning, or fleet commanding, or whatever your chosen career demands. These mechanics often suck when taken out of an actual strategy game(AC4 is a prime example), but they can be done correctly. Rather than sending a ship away and then waiting 5 min, you should be able design loops based on supply and demand for trading or trade traffic for piracy, and then allow them to run automated(with occasional intervention for an event, like a ship being captured). You should also need to account for your crew's needs like in Pirates!. It add so much realism when you have to find a port because your supplies are running low.

The end result is an open world RPG set in the age of sails. You can pursue whatever career you want and your actions define how loyal your crew is. You can interact with many NPCs and accept many quests from them. As a final thought... NO 3rd person, how are you supposed to feel immersed in a game from 100ft above the ship. This is another area where AC4 nailed it.

p.s. If there is a game similar to this that I do not know about.... sorry... and please point me to it immediately!

Sounds a lot like a game I have heard of that is under development called Hearts of Oak :)

Ha ha, yeah, I am so pumped to see what the final product is like. I was under the impression though that the game would be like a mix of AC4's world with some aspects from Pirates! and Port Royale. I may have been wrong in doing this, but I assumed that making hundreds of buildings to enter and thousands of NPC's as well as dozens of side quests like in Skyrim would be impossible for any group short of a professional studio. I also have not seen much mentioned on the Mass Effect ideas I liked, such as personal relationships with everyone on your crew.

For me at least, there is a big difference between having a world where you can walk around cities with a few generic and unimportant NPCs and buildings(like AC4), and one where each is unique and offers a quest. I am sooo excited for Hearts of Oak, and I am in NO way trying to put it down, I may even be wrong, but I just assumed that a RPG on that level would not be possible for a group so small. If something similar is possible for you guys, then consider this thread a recommendation lol. If the final product is even remotely like this, it will be the apex of all pirate games. (in my opinion)

I reckon everybody wants pretty much a similar type of game and none of the actual game studios appear to be willing or capable of giving it to us.
That is why we have decided to do it ourselves.

Is it easy? HELL no! Is it going to be done tomorrow? Not even close.
Are we able to do it at such a large scale? That has yet to be seen.

We intend to give it our best shot though!
And hopefully once things pick up, we'll be able to find more people willing to contribute.
Time is on our side, because we don't have a deadline of any kind.

Ha ha I had not realized how large your aspirations for the game are. I really hope you guys pull it off. I agree that it is unlikely that any major game studio will deliver on a game like this, so it makes sense that the only way to get the game it to do it yourselves. I have been looking into the project for a few weeks, and now that I am realizing that your plans are so much greater than all the other indie pirate games I find myself wishing I were skilled enough to contribute ha ha, but I think for now I will just keep blundering about the forums :).

Even just your input would be appreciated. Plus you could help out with "public relations/advertising",
which is quite important yet requires no programming/artistic skills. If you want to contribute, you most certainly could!
And it would be much appreciated too! :onya

Ok. I will be glad to try to give some input. I do understand the basics of most aspects of game design. My friends and I always used to make small mods (emphasis on small) for our favorite games. This is far from making me experienced, but I think I could be able to give some decent feedback. :D

Any and all feedback would be welcome. Except that from crazy people. But you're not a crazy person, are you? :razz

And think about joining the PR Team! At the moment it consists pretty much of only:
- Armada: Doing it part-time next to actually coordinating the work on the game
- Captain Murphy: Doing it part-time next to actually developing the game systems itself
- Me: Currently away at sea and VERY busy with work

It would be good to have a person dedicated to doing that who is not also heavily involved in the actual game development.
If the three of us can do less on PR, then we can focus more on doing other things! ;)

Back