• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Perhaps give the agent victualier and the dockyard commisioner an extra bit of dialogue in case of personal town?

Fluen

Freebooter
You have cleverly made additions to the dialogues of the governor and the soldiers of a personal town, so the the new ruler is able to enter the fort without trouble and/or change the taxing of the town. So I'm a bit surprised, that a new ruler of St. John's is not able to use the services of the agent victualier and the dockyard commisioner without a letter of marque. Maybe something to modify in a later update?

The first thing both dialog files check is whether you're a naval officer; if that fails, then you get the options of claiming a LoM or offering a bribe. So the quickest fix is simply to change the first check to pass if you're a naval officer of the right nation or if the character's nation is Personal.

Are the victualler and dockyard commisioner still in British uniform after you've captured the town? Because if they are, and if that quick fix doesn't work, I've an idea for a nasty surprise...

Attachments

• victualler_docker.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 55
They have been so far. I haven't tried your solution yet.

Edit: both people are a lot more welcoming. They just don't know, who I am. Is that caused by a custom name?
Agent-victualier dialogue.png

Last edited:
No, it's caused by your lack of a rank. I've updated the zip file in post #2; try downloading it again and see what happens.

Yes, it's a naval base. The original dialog file checked if you are a naval officer and if so, addresses you by your rank, otherwise it goes to the bit about not dealing with civilians, at which point you have the option to bribe the officer or tell him you have a LoM. The modified version checks if you're a naval officer or if the dock officer is Personal nation, and the re-modified version then gives him a different line if he's Personal nation.

It doesn't work. He's now Personal nation so he's supposed to greet you as "Comrade <last name>".

There's a mechanism in the function for finding what characters call you that checks if they have a record of an old nation. The victualler presumably does, so he's addressing you as if he's still British. Fine, he's still calling you "ma'am" out of habit as an ex-British officer, but it looks wrong if he adds your last name to the end of it. Easily enough fixed. Try this one. (Looking at "Antigua_dockyard.c", it seems I already programmed the dockyard officer not to use your last name, so he should already just call you "ma'am".)

Attachments

• Antigua_victualler.c
    14.4 KB · Views: 61
Would "comrade" not be more appropriate, when Antigua is on pirate hands? If Antigua is personal, I rule the town and should get some respect when greeted, and then "ma'am" is sufficient.

Pirate characters are handled a bit differently. The function which determines how a character addresses you assumes that a pirate wasn't born a pirate; either he was born somewhere else and became a pirate, or his parents were born somewhere else and raised him according to their traditions. So a pirate character is assigned a random fake nation for the purpose of addressing you and may call you "Ma'am", "Mademoiselle" or "Senorita". Someone evidently thought that "Comrade" was a good address form for your own personal nation. But, as I said, there's also a mechanism for characters to remember their original nationality, which is why the victualler still calls you "Ma'am" as if he were still British.

Newly generated characters in your towns will probably call you "Comrade". Look for random civilians; or see if there's any difference between permanent street traders and the random traders spawned because you brought extra crew ashore.

Back