• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirates of the Caribbean Online and GoG

Kat Truewalker

Landlubber
Ahoy!

I'm not sure if something about this has been posted already, but here goes.

Pirates of the Caribbean Online was a Disney game published first in 2006/7 and closed on September 19th 2013 (Yes, that was Talk Like a Pirate Day...)

The community only had very short notice of this and miss their game heartily. Yes, we had Jack Sparrow, Barbossa, Tia Dalma, the Navy, the dreaded EITC and The Queen Anne's Revenge!

The game was unique with an active, friendly and creative community. It was unique because you could launch your ship, gather together a crew o' mates and sail the seas looting and plundering to your heart's content.

You could also gather resources for upgrading your ships, take part in pvp and svs combat as well as quest, loot and level your pirate.

It's the only game I know of in existence where you are able to experience this kind of gameplay in a Caribbean setting.

Cue, Good old Games ~ a company who is active in bringing back old games that have died a death or been closed. They also have a wishlist feature, where you are able to nominate games you'd like to see return.

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/pirates_of_the_caribbean_online

This is the link.

We're reaching out to the pirating community, to ex PoTCo players, to anyone who loves the feel of the breeze on their face and the clash of a cutlass.

Please register and vote for our beloved game. We'd really like to see it brought back.

Thanks and Fair Winds.

Ahoy Kat, welcome aboard mate!

Yeah, I remember hearing about it closing down. I never got much in to the whole "Talk Like a Pirate Day" thing, everyday is talk like a pirate day! We are very familiar with GOG, we have been trying to get them to carry the original POTC for a very long time. For several years I thought the holdup was Disney, it appears though that the real culprit for us is Bethesda.

With no intention of being negative, in your case the fact that this was an MMO, would be a big hindrance. Even if GOG were to bring the game back, you would need at least one dedicated server to run it. I would be surprised if they were actually able to talk Disney in to doing that agin themselves, or letting someone else have all the server side software and files that would require.

We are currently in the process of developing or own game, Hearts of Oak, but unfortunately it will not be an MMO. Though we have discussed a limited multiplayer ability at a later point, after the base game has been finalized. I do wish you luck in your quest, but I am not very optimistic for your chances. I wish these big game companies would understand just what a huge fan base there is for Age of Sail games, but then again, that is what has kept PA in business for well over a decade now!

Thanks for the welcome! And yes...we know it's probably a very long shot. I did read somewhere that Gog may be creating servers for multiplayer gaming ~ here http://www.gog.com/galaxy

There are a lot of dedicated pirates out there still looking for a home, and some of us have been watching Hearts of Oak as it develops too :)

Back