• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Player data archive not found - Linux

Cerez

Baroness of the High Seas
Storm Modder
(Not sure where else to ask this, as there doesn't seem to be a technical support section for New Horizons on the forums here...)

I'm trying to run the Linux version on Debian 9 to experience the project/game (version 0.1.1.21). First it threw an error about not being able to find "ScreenSelector.so" and "libocean.so". I fixed this by moving these two library files out of "Plugins/x86" and directly into "New Horizons Remastered_Data".

Now it is still not launching and telling me: "Player data archive not found at `New Horizons/New Horizons Remastered_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystemAborted"

Am I (literally) missing something? o_O

In hindsight, it may have something to do with me trying to run a 32-bit build on a 64-bit system. Is there a 64-bit Linux build available? I can only find one for Windows.

Hello,

I do get the same error (Player data archive) but the game launches for me (64 bit system). I have however had issues with the game launching when using Fedora paired with mesa-git due to having missing/incomplete 32bit display drivers/libs. Unity seems to love Ubuntu and glibc. Currently I'm on Solus and the game launches and behaves as it should. I'm using an AMD card, the Vega FE, with the open source drivers though. What system are you running this on? Debian sure, CPU/GPU, GPU driver, etc.? Also there is not a 64bit build yet but it has been requested by me (and you now), so hopefully we'll see that when the next "release" happens.

Edit: Technically the Linux build isn't supported, so I'm likely the only support you'll get! :)

Last edited:
Hey, thanks so much! Love the Tux Sparrow avatar, by the way! ^_^

In that case, why it's not launching is a complete mystery -- a mystery as great as that of the Black Pearl.

My ship is an AMD A4-7210 with a Radeon R3 Graphics (Mullins) video card, and the open source Radeon display driver.

64-bit would truly be nice, but, for now, I'll be satisfied if I can just get the 32-bit one to work, as you did. It's curious that it's not throwing any (display driver related) error messages at all -- just the "player data archive" error.

Hey, thanks so much! Love the Tux Sparrow avatar, by the way! ^_^

In that case, why it's not launching is a complete mystery -- a mystery as great as that of the Black Pearl.

My ship is an AMD A4-7210 with a Radeon R3 Graphics (Mullins) video card, and the open source Radeon display driver.

64-bit would truly be nice, but, for now, I'll be satisfied if I can just get the 32-bit one to work, as you did. It's curious that it's not throwing any (display driver related) error messages at all -- just the "player data archive" error.

You might be hit with some unity issues. Could you try to start the game with:

./New\ Horizons\ Remastered.x86 -screen-fullscreen 0 . What Kernel/Mesa do you have?

Thanks! Hmm... Nope... :'(

It exits straight out without showing anything, and without warning:
Code:
Set current directory to ~/Downloads/New Horizons
Found path: ~/Downloads/New Horizons/New Horizons Remastered.x86
Mono path[0] = '~/Downloads/New Horizons/New Horizons Remastered_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '~/Downloads/New Horizons/New Horizons Remastered_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '~/Downloads/New Horizons/New Horizons Remastered_Data/Mono/etc'
Player data archive not found at `~/Downloads/New Horizons/New Horizons Remastered_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystemAborted

RIP New Horizons...

Kernel: 4.9.0-5-amd64 (gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18) ) (#1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2 (2018-01-04))
Mesa: 13.0.6

Just a thought, does that path exist? Is the application running with permissions that allows it to create that path and any contents in it?

Thanks for the creative input. When I create a new directory on that path, I get the following:
Code:
Unable to read header from archive file: ~/Downloads/New Horizons/New Horizons Remastered_Data/data.unity3d
(Filename:  Line: 65)

Failed to install Player data archive: ~/Downloads/New Horizons/New Horizons Remastered_Data/data.unity3d!Aborted

It seems to be looking for an actual archive file. I think this is unrelated, unless this archive file is accidentally missing in the current build of New Horizons for Linux. But the current Windows build doesn't seem to have this file, either.

Otherwise, there are no reasons why the program wouldn't be able to create any files and/or directories in the "~/Downloads/New Horizons" folder.

Kernel: 4.9.0-5-amd64 (gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18) ) (#1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2 (2018-01-04))
Mesa: 13.0.6

Okay wow, that's an old kernel + mesa version. Mesa has come quite a way since 13. I have a hunch that this is your issue, or at least part of the story. Is there any way you could install a distribution with a more recent kernel+mesa on a scratch disk to test? Fedora 27 would provide 17.3.X.

Well, this is still the latest release of Debian (which is known to be one of the slowest Linux OSs to transition, due to a strong preference for stability over new features), which should be a benchmark, really, for software developed to run on Linux -- especially considering that the most popular Linux distro, Ubuntu, is built from Debian -- so if New Horizons Remastered will not run on the most current release of Debian, that makes me lose interest in the project (for the moment being). Harsh, but true and necessary, I believe.

I know you mean well, and I thank you for it, but I'm not going to go to the trouble of installing a new operating system just to try a software.

P.S. Coincidentally, I used to run Fedora before transitioning to Debian, and I loved it for a time, but, ultimately, I found Fedora to be still too volatile for work purposes. And there is nothing essential that I'm not getting in Debian (by staying a few versions behind the most current release). I guess that's what makes the old dragon one of the favoured distributions, and certainly my choice for a reliable OS.

Last edited:
That's fine. I understand Debian's stance. The issue here is that the development of AMD's open source drivers is VERY rapid, and a lot of progress has been made since 13. There's a reason why ports from the likes of Feral Interactive or Aspyr haven't supported MESA at launch, until now at least. Mesa is finally good enough to run games and it's only getting better. I believe the fault with not supporting earlier versions of MESA lies with Unity rather than this project of course.

As an RHCSA training for my RHCE, I'm a bit biased toward Fedora/RHEL but I run Solus on my personal desktop due to their Steam Integration work. My system (threadripper and Vega) wouldn't even boot using Jessie so I have to use bleeding edge software, hence why I'm only familiar with newer MESA etc.

Back