• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Problem with Windows 8.1

BartMend

Landlubber
Hi. I'm having the typical problem with the game starting, when I press 'New game', appears the error message 'ENGINE stop working'. The problem is that I have tried all the solutions given in some places: changing compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2, SP3, Vista, etc. executing like an admin, using SwiftShader, using Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit, with the nVidia card fix... Nothing works. I have Windows 8, Intel Core i7 processor and NVIDIA GEFORCE card. Thanks

Have you tried Intel Graphics Fix addon - Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean yet? That works much better than SwiftShader.

If that doesn't help, enable error logging as described here:
Guide - Frequently Asked Questions | PiratesAhoy!
Then post all 2-3 .log files from your main game folder here.
Wow, I tried to install the Intel Graphics Fix and it worked!!! I thought I could't play this game again until I had enough money to buy another computer with Windows XP (it means, never). Thank you so much!

Wow, I tried to install the Intel Graphics Fix and it worked!!!
Good news! That does mean that for some reason the game is running from your "Intel onboard graphics card" instead of from the "NVIDIA GEFORCE".
This has been an issue for more people and I never did hear if there is a simple solution. Maybe @Thagarr knows.

In any case, I recommend trying to find some settings that to encourage the game to DO use your real graphics card.
The "Intel Graphics Fix" is quite OK, but if you can run the game without that, the sea looks much better.

Intel's graphics divers are the problem, they won't switch to the Nvidia card unless they think they need to. The only real solution I have found is to buy a laptop with an actual hardware switch.

Back