• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Random Engine.exe crashes

accharger

Landlubber
I recently upgraded from build 13 to build 14 alpha 10..and have run into a new problem. Random things cause engine.exe to crash..some of the most common things that seem to make it crash are as follows.
1. Attempting to enter world view while on my ship, this can be from leaving an island..or a battle at sea..doesnt matter
2. Attempting to enter local sailing view when coming close to an island(the view you have to be in to port)
3. Attempting to encounter a ship at sea(when you see a ship on the world map and sail close to it, then enter the local sailing view with it)

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are my logs
View attachment error.logView attachment system.logView attachment compile.log

just having a look to the files.

"Can't load texture resource\textures\SHIPS\2011009.TGA.tx"
"Can't load texture resource\textures\SHIPS\201103DSDA.TGA.tx"

are you using custom ships?
these are not part of POTC, or at least, i can`t find these textures in my game.

"Can't load texture resource\textures\SHIPS\LIONLADIE1.TGA.tx"
and there`s no lionladie ship too.

Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 66) (begin group=0, end group=-1)
Begin pointer = 0? end pointer = 125835980
Bad rope data for rope: (rope num = 91) (begin group=-1, end group=0)
Begin pointer = 125870732? end pointer = 0

these errors simply say that your computer may be not "up" for the game, your spec?
sadly a 500M of RAM ain`t enough for this heavily modded version of POTC.

"The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value"
this may say that your Graphic card isn`t well accepted.
NVIDIA, ATI, what?

"RUNTIME ERROR - file: characters\characterUtilite.c; line: 2393
function 'DoDailyCrewPay' stack error"
this error is related to the pop-up-window in which you should choose if pay the crew or not.
in most "old" laptop\comp this is badly handled resulting in a CTD.
had this crash quite often in my xp.

now, tell us: are you sure you did install B13 FINAL (there are other versions) on the top of vanilla POTC, executed the runme.bat, then, again, installed B10alpha full, Executed runme.bat and unrarred the B10alpha fix and fix2?

I am not using any custom ships, i noticed those texture errors too, i just assumed that they were files that didnt copy when i installed the game.

I am using just the standard install of the game with build 13 final, build 14 alpha 10 full and the build 14 alpha 10 fix. i ran the batch files after each mod install with no problems...game usually runs fine. but every single time it crashes it gives those errors you were referring to. :(

As for the specs of the computer
2 gigs of ram
core duo at 1.6ghz
ati radeon xpress 200m

i know its kinda old, but i would think it should be good enough to run this game with the mod...
the only other option is running it on my desktop, on which it freezes much more often.

I would like to note that i have already done a complete reinstall once, with the exact same problem...that was the first thing i did when i got the error, gave the same texture problem both installs...

I am not using any custom ships, i noticed those texture errors too, i just assumed that they were files that didnt copy when i installed the game.

I am using just the standard install of the game with build 13 final, build 14 alpha 10 full and the build 14 alpha 10 fix. i ran the batch files after each mod install with no problems...game usually runs fine. but every single time it crashes it gives those errors you were referring to. :(

As for the specs of the computer
2 gigs of ram
core duo at 1.6ghz
ati radeon xpress 200m

i know its kinda old, but i would think it should be good enough to run this game with the mod...
the only other option is running it on my desktop, on which it freezes much more often.

actually 2gb of ram it`s optimal for a 2003 old game!
run task manager, go to engine.exe, right click on it, set cpu affinity to cpu 0 or 1.
ati radeon express card should not give any problem too, but as i said above, this " The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value" says otherwise.
are you running vista?
unlikely for us, vista users, the directX8 as DirectX9 is just emulated, and in same situation, even badly: this results in bad graphical rendering or glitches, which can give CTDs too.
did you install on program folders?
ALWAYS run installation files as administrators and be sure to stop temporarly your antivirus during setup and dos patching.
it seems that the installation of this program is different in every comp/laptop: some vista users never had some kind of issues and vice versa, so can say xp users.

I am running xp on this computer and i installed to the programs folder, as xp doesn't have the programs folder protection like vista does. Also, i am not running any antivirus on this computer, but i will try having it run on just a single core, i didn't even think of that. Ill update you with the results!

Hi, I am also getting these crashes although mine ocurr randomly at ANY loading screen and sometimes it happens during fighting too. My computer is a Vista and has Intel 945 Chipset, but I have done the workaround; the software rendering, and also the Vista problem I thought I had fixed by installing into my C\Games folder. Apparently to no avail. I have tried to fix it all by trawling through these forums, but cannot find anything to help me greatly. I post here in the hope someone can assist me too. :)

Thanks, and goodluck to you too Accharger.

Back