• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

recommendations...

tryadelion

Landlubber
i'm happily downloading the combined mod, and i woulñd like to hear the reccomendations of you, sea dogs and war veterans, on how i should start and what i should do to become a badass brittish corsair with a badass frigate.....

i have "merely" survived in vanilla by using my luck (and running away from dutch warships),

Hahaha, welcome to PA. :onya

well there is a lot of chnages in CMV 3.1.5. You will be able to start as a character who has a set ship, like Jack Sparrow has the Black Pearl as his starting ship. If you go with a character who doesn't have a set starting ship then i would suggest you do a few merchant runs and if you find yourself been attacked by ships similar to your own ship type then try to capture it and either keep it if its better or sell it for the extra money and hire some good officer's. The playing style hasn't changed much from vanilla to the combined mod, you won't be out numbered so easily now with pirates or out classed. I alway's play the merchant runner for a few months and then when i have max crew and good officer's i start to attack other ships, i sometimes fly the jolly roger and attack anything that sails.

A tip though, before attacking ships, make sure you stock up on weapons. A good idea is to have at least 10 to 50 more weapons than your crew depending on crew size. If for example your crew size is 200 then have 250 weapons if your crew size is say 500 then have about 600 weapons. If its 90 then have 150 weapons. If you don't you will loose almost all your crew when boarding the enemy ship(s).

i'm with uncle aubrey ad his ship. after 3 unsuccesful battles (all of them ended boarding and winnin), i saw that i got 4lb cannons..... are they really of any use ingame? :shrug

i give a suggestion: augment the damn daily quest of the brittish. all these freaking NPC captains take all quests automatically everyday when the governor office opens, i'm in red numbers.... and i need a letter of marque!

Yes the 4Ibs cannons give more realistic feel to the game and make the start more challanging since you can just about afford to fix your ship. In the next patch the cannons will have more improvements to them so the 4Ibs cannons will be of more use.

You can do merchant runs for the store owner to help build your money up. And when you arrive at a port after delivering the cargo to the store owner you can check to see if there are any quests for you to do before asking if the store owner has any work for you.

No problem.

You can get jobs from the port controller, like returning a log book to a captain (ship has green sails on world map)

The port contoller might ask you to return a ship that was stolen (ship has red sails on the world map)

The tavern owner will point you in the direction of someone who wants to get somewhere.

The shipyard owner might ask you to get a ships design from some shipyard.

They are all paying jobs and there are other's who will give you jobs to do aswell.

My favourite is to attack enemy ships and sell anything onboard them.

As for the letter of marque, you can purchase one from Bermuda for any nation you like.

Back