• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release [REL] Alternate flags for all nations v1.0

Joe Dagger

Freibeuter
Storm Modder
@Moderators
Since I can't rename the other thread I decided to open a new one to maintain a better overview and let the people know the mod is available and not WIP anymore also other previews are up... if this is not desired please adjust as you see it fit. Thanks. And sorry for the trouble if I'm causing any.
;)

The content of the mod?

• The sails on the world map (All nations matches their new flag)
  • Flags on the ships (and the Govenor's house since it's the same texture)
  • Especially the ship flags now have a "in use" view which means a little ripped and more dirty, some little changes which make a big difference I think. See previews to get an idea about this.
  • 3D view with the Spyglass (icon lower left corner now matches the new flags)
  • Character menu (The Perks and Character Nation as seen in preview)
  • New flagchange videos (With alternate music mostly I pick a part of the modern national Anthym)
  • Tiny change probably just me who sees it (the background at 3D view "Sail to" now is proper green for neutral and friend while bright red for Enemy (previously it was orange and a somewhat turquoise colour tone))

Extras?

• You will find a folder "extra - empty flag videos" in there are placeholders, which are meant to overwrite the video clips for the flagchange. If you often change flags or simply like to skip the movie this might be handy... it simply skips the video since it's a blank file (make backups before overwriting the clips in the video folder otherwise you lose the videos)

Installation?

• Make backups of the files that will be overwritten I forgot to do them myself so I couldn't include them thus I'm stuck with my own version which is fine for me, but if you like to switch back to the default version you must first backup the original files.
  • Folderstructure is already created you simply extract the "RESOURCE" folder in your AoP2 main directory.
  • All savegame compatible. I've playtested the whole package for quite some time everything is working fine.

Got any previews? Aye, there you go!
(click thumbs for fullview)

Something else you like to say?
  • The wordmap does not have an animation for the towns flag, but show still images of the nation flag (seen in preview), I might do an animation in a possible later version, but not sure on this since it is new ground for me.
  • This flagmix is a compromise firstly I'd like to offer weathered versions and in some cases not historically accurate to the timeline (As MK pointed out correctly in the other thread) ... however I like those flags better and favour them. One Compromise is I removed the blue with golden Lys flag from the flying french ships and replaced them with the Royal french banner... the blue with golden Lys flag is stil be used in every other game aspect since to reduce the resolution of the Royal french banner would mean lose all the details to the flag and I didn't like that to happen.
    Also I've cut out one fleur de Lys each corner of the french flag for two reasons. 1. Some ships simply twist the aspect ratio and those parts look ugly shifted and stretched. 2. Because it simply look nice in my opnion.

Credits?
  • The royal french flag (on the ships /governors house) was taken form the Wikipedia so thanks to the original creator I only adjusted it and added some dirt and weathering to it.
  • All other flags (with the exception of the Pirate flag I guess) were done by Davos as mod for Sid Meyers Pirates! So thanks for his work I used in this mod he already weathered them so here I mostly added only the ripped alpha channel.

Download Alternate flags for all nations v1.0
-removed since some files were not included-

Download Alternate flags for all nations v1.0b
Thanks to the Megaupload issue all is down, anyway new version WIP and soon testing is over and will be uploaded

If you prefer the original historical accurate GoF flags with weathering added
(click thumb for full view)

Download
Thanks to the Megaupload issue all is down, anyway new version WIP and soon testing is over and will be uploaded
(this is only the flag file for the ship and Governors house nothing else included)

Enough yadda yadda from me....
Please enjoy the mod
:sail

Cheers
Joe Dagger

EDIT

Yup here's the Worldmap altered with some effects and the new/old flags are pinned so you see a little better what town belongs to which nation if it's out of sight... ah well you know what I mean...

(simply enlarge the thumb and save the file to yout HDD is you like.

I removed the other thread so you can start fresh with this one. Whenever you release a new version, just let me know and I'll edit your subject.

Nice work on the icons for towns and ship sails, those must have taken a lot of patience and detail to get done :doff

Thank you Officerpuppy. As every modder knows even if it's about tiny things without patience you are lost.
:dance

I've forgotten to upload the worldmap file it's some sort of unnecessary bonus so to say since I play with it opened in an image viewer and if I like to have a more detailed overview I "alt+tab" to it. Maybe someone besides me finds this usefull and is happy to have it... (it's also handy if you like to plan some trade route or something)

1st post updated.
:keith

Hee haa haa! I think I tracked down the Spanish flag you used. It's a cool looking flag to say the least.

Joe:

I've installed the pack (the first one, with blue french flags) but tgere is no change in the world map.

The sea flags appears to be ok, but the world map flags and sails are the old ones.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Joe:

I've installed the pack (the first one, with blue french flags) but tgere is no change in the world map.

The sea flags appears to be ok, but the world map flags and sails are the old ones.

Cheers.
buho (A).
Really? Rats... maybe I screwed up in the folder structure so it wasn't installed in the right location... how about the videos they work right?

I'll have to check again... sorry for the trouble and thanks for the feedback.

I think the lion and castle are on the wrong spots. The castle should be on the top left corner then the lion on the top right corner. The inverse applies to the bottom.

Joe:

Cheers.
buho (A).
Really? Rats... maybe I screwed up in the folder structure so it wasn't installed in the right location... how about the videos they work right?

I'll have to check again... sorry for the trouble and thanks for the feedback.

I'm using the empty videos and they work. The tga.tx files are going to the right folders, I checked against the originals and they match in content.

It is more like a missing file. Or some rare thing.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Yup... I simply forgot to put the "worlmap" files into the pachage... v1.0b is uploaded now. Please download this and the worldmap should be updated... if not I swear no more rum for me...
:urgh

Sincerely, I never liked the CoAS vanilla flags, and I always used a private texture made by myself. Nice to see that somene started to look into this actually, since I was thinking that nobody bothered to make all the flags a bit more 'royalish'.

Anyway, here's what I've got.

2ibyoso.png

The French flag isn't historically correct, as of current version. But when I have some more spare time to dedicate to GoF, I'll probably go down and replace every little texture in the game. The only issue is to have them being seamless.

Attachments

• IMPsFlags.png
    IMPsFlags.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 301
Hey Joe, could you release a version of the UI/worldmap flags mod with the default GoF! flags? I'd like to include them in GoF!

Back