• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Remus77 ships

Noriruru

Freebooter
Hey guys I was just wondering what the plans are for the remus77 ships that we got our hands on.

Has anyone even begun tinkering with them?

What place in the project que are they?

And is there anything someone with no modeling experience can do to speed up their entry into the game.

In short what are the plans for these great ships?

LOL. Well...how easy is it to learn how to convert ships for a noob?

For starters what programs, plugins, ect would I need to get started and where do I get them?

I must admit I AM tempted to take a crack at tackling the Christianus myself providing I can get a grasp of how to use the programs and what all goes into making a ship for the game.

I tried my hand at making scratch made starship models "ONCE" using milkshape 3D and kinda sucked at it.

Here's hoping Maya is a little friendlier than milkshape. Scaling pre-made models I might be able to do. but textures, paths, locators and even breaking down the mast sections into individual pieces all sound pretty intimidating.
I'd certainly need a LOT of help from the rest of the guys here.

How noob friendly is maya for someone who has had no experience whatsoever in 3D modeling?

Nothing is easy...with this game, anything is far from easy! But trying would be a start. ;)

Now, Armada have already been so kind pointing you in the direction of some tutorials, but I suggest your first step would be THIS one, also by the almighty Kazeite.

Good luck ^_^

Ok can someone post the download link for maya as well...getting the programs I need would certainly be a start. :cheeky

Ok nevermind I found it. :onya

Ok can someone post the download link for maya as well...getting the programs I need would certainly be a start. :cheeky

Ok nevermind I found it. :onya

Good! If you want to speed things up a bit, you could always make the basic hull using DelftShip found by the Commodore here, it IS freeware but not as accurate as Maya) then export it to Maya and smoothen/add decks and so on. Once started, you´ll probably run into problems and that´s alright - it is my experience, that people in here are more likely to help, if you showed some initiative first and your questions are very specific and not covering every aspect of the work in progress. Take your time, first attempts are always hard.

Nothing is easy...with this game, anything is far from easy! But trying would be a start. ;)

Now, Armada have already been so kind pointing you in the direction of some tutorials, but I suggest your first step would be THIS one, also by the almighty Kazeite.

Good luck ^_^

Uh..Huston..we have a problem. :razz

I just looked into the Maya tutorial and I don't seem to have permission to look at the images posted by ZerethPL there which I assume is the tutorial you mentioned.

Also I just tried to look at remus77s Christianus/Trinity in Maya after making the hex editor adjustments suggested by Armada however I'm still not seeing a ship here.
Also Maya says it has some video tutorials but it says the files are missing.

It's like I said. I'm a total nooblet here and I surely goofed somewhere already. It's definitely going to take a while just figuring the basics of Maya let alone convert a ship but I'll keep looking into it.

If you guys get around to making the ship well I'm still fumbling around with Maya basics, great if not I'll keep trying.

I wish we were that organised. :rolleyes:
At the moment, there's no specific project queue for new ships. It's really all systems go for getting things ready for Build 14 Beta 2.
That involves getting all our current ships up to scratch and ditching the really poor-quality ones, before incorporating any new ones.
We're currently knee-deep in the first step, which is fixing up the existing ships to ensure the Build has a consistent standard.
That doesn't mean making the stock ships as good as our best custom ones, but more like ironing out the bugs with flags, rigging and lighting.
That project is mostly being run by Hylie Pistoff and myself, and is still a long way from completion.

In other words, new ships aren't a very high priority right now. That's not to say I object to them being added at any time, of course!
As I've said before, I'd love to help port the new ships myself, but my priorities have shifted lately and I'm doing a lot more work on the Beta 2 prep.
The other problem is a lack of available modellers to tackle the new ships, or even to help newbies do it. :facepalm

I just looked into the Maya tutorial and I don't seem to have permission to look at the images posted by ZerethPL there which I assume is the tutorial you mentioned.

Also I just tried to look at remus77s Christianus/Trinity in Maya after making the hex editor adjustments suggested by Armada however I'm still not seeing a ship here.
I don't see why you don't have permission to view the images. The thread isn't even in the 'Modders' forum. :?
If you're still stuck installing it, I can give you help based on those images.
I'm pretty sure the HEX editing works to allow you to see the ship correctly. It still gives an error message, but you just need to ignore it.
As for the videos, forget about them. The files aren't on the FTP with the program, I think. You're better off searching the web for tutorials, since there are loads out there!

I wish we were that organised. :rolleyes:
At the moment, there's no specific project queue for new ships. It's really all systems go for getting things ready for Build 14 Beta 2.
That involves getting all our current ships up to scratch and ditching the really poor-quality ones, before incorporating any new ones.
We're currently knee-deep in the first step, which is fixing up the existing ships to ensure the Build has a consistent standard.
That doesn't mean making the stock ships as good as our best custom ones, but more like ironing out the bugs with flags, rigging and lighting.
That project is mostly being run by Hylie Pistoff and myself, and is still a long way from completion.

In other words, new ships aren't a very high priority right now. That's not to say I object to them being added at any time, of course!
As I've said before, I'd love to help port the new ships myself, but my priorities have shifted lately and I'm doing a lot more work on the Beta 2 prep.
The other problem is a lack of available modellers to tackle the new ships, or even to help newbies do it. :facepalm

I don't see why you don't have permission to view the images. The thread isn't even in the 'Modders' forum. :?
If you're still stuck installing it, I can give you help based on those images.
I'm pretty sure the HEX editing works to allow you to see the ship correctly. It still gives an error message, but you just need to ignore it.
As for the videos, forget about them. The files aren't on the FTP with the program, I think. You're better off searching the web for tutorials, since there are loads out there!

Ahh so you guys are re-working build 14. Well that DOES explain why I'm not seeing any updates on ship WIPs (serves me right for only tracking the ship modeling forums :facepalm ) silly me. Ya ironing the b14 bugs IS a better idea :onya . Thanks for the update there.

Well if I ever succeed in wrapping my head around using Maya (hopefully without my head exploding) maybe I can finally make some REAL contributions to the cause. But it's sure going to take awhile.

Hmmm. I think someone ought to take over whenever possible once you've taken care of the more important stuff as I can't figure out how to use MAYA at the moment.

I managed to import the Christianus (trinity) into 3ds Max,

However there are some problems with parts of the geometry and texture distortions as a result. I will be repairing the problems in my spare time but with the ship having a lot of parts it may take some time to check every single part thoroughly. One major geometry problem is the hull above the water line which will require accurate correction otherwise the ship won't look right, other problem areas are the decks, fighting tops and I have noticed some problems in some small detailed parts as well.

I think these problems are present due to the import process so maybe someone can open the ship without any geometry problems and if that is the case let me know. :)

Regards,

Well you got further than I did there SeaNorris. I can't even figure out how to even use Maya yet. Armada wasn't kidding when he said it was super complex.

Back