• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Reputation problems Build 11

Picasox

Landlubber
First of all I'd like to say this is a really great build, I just started to play POTC again after a long down time and this make it new and refreshing.

It seem for me that the reputation in this build is extreemly touchy and I have found my rep going from nureural to horror of the seas for apparenlty no reason at all.

I alrerady found out that smuggling will drop my rep from nutrl to HOS in just one trade, but the more I play the more I see things that just don't make any sence.

These are some things that have change my rep from Nuteural to Horror of the seas.
1. sailing into port and firing on a pirate ship
2. opening the box in the taveran room after i have stayed for the night.
3. ending a conversation with the bar tender by telling hinm I have no buisiness to discuss.
4. talking to the ship yard guy, exiting out of the repair screen and then when I try to go back in because I forgot something, all the sudden he won't talk to me any more because I am horror of the high seas.

Is there any quick fix? like editing an INI file? I can deal with this if I can exit out and fix it quick, but tip toeing around like mister nice guy and having my rep drop to HOS for no reason makes it very difficult to play, I cannot even go to the store and buy supplies.

It seem for me that the reputation in this build is extreemly touchy and I have found my rep going from nureural to horror of the seas for apparenlty no reason at all.

the problem for this is one solution trust me...ok, sometimes ull find people that SHOULD be armed that attack you but they have no weapons but they just sit there, DO NOT ATTACK these people. maybe you havent noticed it but be careful, cuz it happens sometimes, its a very minor glitch. ok all you do is save in the middle of battle, load that save, and the guy will have his weapons now, and then you can kill him. if you kill him if he has no weapons, ur rep drops 20 points! thats two rep descriptions! from rascal to whatever is after it!

:cheeky i think that this is the only thing that drops ur rep so fast, cuz even killing innocent civilians dont drop ur rep that damn fast! xD: trust ol CaptJack on this one mate, i know this one from experience! xD:

I'm not getting a bad rep for attacking unarmed people, just for talking to the bar tender or ship yard guy. I go in with a neuteral rep and walk away horror of the seas.

that does not make any sence, no transgretions take place.

:cheeky Picasox, and welcome aboard! Pull up a keg, have a seat, and have a couple on us! xD:

Others have reported this problem, and I think it's being looked into - there should be a fix soon, updates and bugfixes have been coming on a fairly regular basis since the build was released. xD: :dio

Yea I seem to have the same problem, I started the game, went into the tavern, and then after about 20 minutes of playing I look and im already at "horror of the high seas", also I have a question...before the build you could go into a church and give the priest 5000 gold and your reputation will go up. Now, no matter how much you give them, it won't change your reputaion. How can you raise your reputation?

mongoose said:
Yea I seem to have the same problem, I started the game, went into the tavern, and then after about 20 minutes of playing I look and im already at "horror of the high seas", also I have a question...before the build you could go into a church and give the priest 5000 gold and your reputation will go up. Now, no matter how much you give them, it won't change your reputaion. How can you raise your reputation?

I donated 5 million gold in total to raise my rep from Bloody Terror to Rascal.

A bit too much, IMHO.

Arghh,at be way tew much,I ain't been tew church in along time,I prefer to raise me rep when I want to by doing side quests :)

I find that often while in `map-mode`, when I get "`Land-Ho`" ariving at an island, My reputation no matter what, even Hero, will drop to Bloody Terror :)

This happened to me before any mods though.

In build 11, I find donating to the church is pointless. Because it costs millions of gold

Picasox said:
Arghh,at be way tew much,I ain't been tew church in along time,I prefer to raise me rep when I want to by doing side quests
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats fine, but It's hard to find a job if no one will hire you or even talk to you because you are HOS.

Yeah, go out back of the towns in the jungle and rescue a few maidens...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thats fine to, it works. But when you need to buy wheat and rum for your crew, so you can get back out to sea, you can't take the time to wander the jungle for hours hoping for random encounters.

when I get "`Land-Ho`" ariving at an island, My reputation no matter what, even Hero, will drop to Bloody Terror

This happened to me before any mods though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I played the original story through twice and played hours upons hours after the story (with a mod) without having to worry about my rep a single second, I played as a good guy and my rep was always increasing. I could smuggle load after laod until i was rich as a fat pig and my rep never dropped to the point no one would even talk to me.

The rep problem interups game flow to the point where you're tip toeing around on egg shells with no idea on what sets it off, just so you can carry out regular tasks without being interupted by a legnthly fix it process.

Picasox said:
thats fine to, it works. But when you need to buy wheat and rum for your crew, so you can get back out to sea, you can't take the time to wander the jungle for hours hoping for random encounters.
If there's a dungeon, go kill smugglers - you'll get a lot of loot that way.

But I guess loot isn't your problem, is it... ;):

I honestly don't know why you are all getting this weird error - because I have been playing the game for a long time and even before you had Build 11 I was testing it - and presumably I have exactly the same files you all do. I made a clean new POTC install before I downloaded the final build release so as to have a pristine game (to clear out any old testing stuff), and I've had NOTHING like you describe. xD:

Did you all install over the 10.1 build? Maybe there's the vestiges of an old file somewhere that is causing this odd behavior. :p:

I'm sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what to do for you - hopefully some of the "real" (i.e., not me) coders can pop in here to help you... :(

Aye mate,Iv'e been play'n build 11.0,an I don't 'ave that problem,ye might want tew try what Catalina suggested,reinstall POTC an de 11.0 build,it could be yew 'ave a corrupt file. ;)

Did you all install over the 10.1 build? Maybe there's the vestiges of an old file somewhere that is causing this odd behavior.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no, actually I wanted to keep an un modded version installed on a different drive.

It's a completely fresh install, just for build 11.

I'd start over and artificially raise my rep in the character INI file to give my self a huge buffer, if I wern't so far along in the game. I am just at the point where I have my ideal ship and enough accumulated wealth where I can go where and do what I want without having to worry about money.

Dose anyone know how to hack a rep for a game that is already in progress?

Turn on cheat mode via spitfire's cheat pack. There's a rep cheat there.

Otherwise, edit seadogs.c :shock:
Find the changename line, and add before the } on it,
Code:
ChangeCharacterReputation(GetMainCharacter(),1);
SO it looks like { changename(); chang...} or something like that.
Then, load game, press N. Rep goes up. Repeat as needed.

Here's an interesting addition to this problem and the possible cause of it all.

When I started the first game I did not do any INI edits and I was anxious to get the money needed so I borrowed about $500,000 from loan sharks with no intention of paying it back.

In the original build you can do this with no reprecussion what so ever. Purhaps this is one of the things that has been changed in Build 11. As time passes and you don't pay your debts, your rep drops. That would certainly explain why all these seemingly meaningless acts dropped my rep. most of them required time to accelerate. Maybe during that time my debts finally became over due???

At any rate I started a new game and this time I started myself out with 1 million gold by editing the INI. I have been playing happily ever since and my rep is now upto Matey. Previously I never saw it go higher than Nuteral.

I was able to start the game with all my skills at 10, walk into the ship dealer who just happened to have my favorite ship in stock, now everything is happy sailing.

Back