• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Request for advice

KWyz

Landlubber
Hello everyone!

I'd like to first congratulate the people keeping this forum - it has a very modern and slick feel to it, despite its thematic.

I've played CoaS on and off ever since it first appeared. And before that I had played Carribean Tales, multiple times. Sadly, in CoaS, due to the many bugs and missing quest information, I was unable to finish many quests.

But now I'm back at it, ready to start anew. I will need, however, a few indications about how to properly setup a new game.

I have downloaded and installed the large (2.57 GB) archive for the GOF 1.2 Full release, extracted it over the contents of a normal CaoS installation, then also deployed the 1.0 patch. Can you please confirm it is, indeed, the latest version of Gentlemen of Fortune?

I also have some questions about this bundle of mods. Last time an update was about to take place, a new feature was to be implemented, allowing one to save his officers (cheat the death, I think its name was). Has this been implemented?

Are enemies surrendering now? Also, si there any way to bind feint to a specific, single key, rather than having to press shift to toggle it?

And the absolute final question: game difficulty and experience accrue rate, as well as sea encounters. I remember playing last on the middle setting with encounters, and sometimes they were too many. Are few encounters...too few? and is there a way of changing this after starting a new game?

Similarly, the issue with accruing experience is that sometimes it feels too fast (and negate the importance of powerful weapons, such as the one you can get in the Austin quest). But if it's too slow, it'll take a million years to get to the bigger ships. A fast experience rate will also mean that while you level up, your officers won't, which means having to change them - I dislike that, especially seeing as how I can get myself a full squad of movie stars, and they'll get left behind while I forge ahead.

I don't really mind grinding a lot in order to get in a better ship, but while experience related to seafaring seemed to come up really fast, from sinking enemies, fighting experience, with melee weapons and guns was fairly hard to come by. Also, I remember growing up in levels, but not in maritime skill.

Can this be fixed? What difficulty and experience rate have you found to your liking ?

As a final note, I have only ever played with Peter Blood. I used to scummsave right before killing the captain of the spanish frigate, in order to get better stats. Has savescumming been fixed, or are stats still randomly rolled (I liked the idea of savescumming for better stats)?

I apologize for the long post, and thank you for your insight.

Edit: I saw a mention of TAGES drivers around the forum. What is their purpose? The game seems to run just fine on my machine.

I was able to discern answers to my questions by looking on the forum. However, there is an important article I was unable to find using the search function. At some point, a person had posted the exact way personal attributes (PIRATES) influence the game. This was a very important piece of data, because it showed exactly how much Success affected the game. Does someone keep a copy of that article?

I was able to discern answers to my questions by looking on the forum. However, there is an important article I was unable to find using the search function. At some point, a person had posted the exact way personal attributes (PIRATES) influence the game. This was a very important piece of data, because it showed exactly how much Success affected the game.

Have you tried clicking ( right mouse button ) on the skills and other things on the Character screen - you should get a box appear with a description of the skill and at the end a math formulae of how the PIRATES attributes affect that skill eg (R*0.9+ I*0.1) for Personal Skill - Light Weapons.

EDIT - Which means that the Light Weapons skill is affected by Reaction*0.9 + Insight * 0.1 .

:read

Yes, I have clicked. I am aware of all the normal information, I have read the manual. It does not provide such sensitive data, however. I'll keep looking for it - someone had simply dissected the settings files and had checked every single skill dependency. It was VERY interesting.

As another question - does a certain PIRATE stat influence the rate at which points are acquired for skill? For example, does being stronger influence how many points you get on heavy weapons, beyond what you get in the beginning?

All right. I have things figured out. I'm doing fairly well. My officers are all very talented people (the overachievers).

I must commend the modders of this game for the awesome soundtrack they put in.

However...there's this tune by Vivaldi. In the game files it's named 120-VivaldiLargo .

Guys, WHERE IS THAT SONG FROM? What is its name? It is obsessing me! Please please please someone tell me the name of that tune, I listened to hours of Vivaldi and I couldn't find it.

Thanks for the compliments. I did the music mod. I can't remember off the top of my head which one that is, but I will look it up and get back to you.

MK

Mk, you must really love the classics. The tunes are perfectly chosen for the environments where they play, it really is a pleasure to listen to them.

I can only imagine how much classical music you've listened to. Or, perhaps you have studies in the domain? Excellent nonetheless.

Just a small suggestions - I am able to recognize most of the pieces, but not all. It would be great if, come a future patch or revision, you could change all the track's names, so that players can now where they came from. Not that there's anything bad with making someone listen to hours and hours of classical music :D.

Hey MK. Have you managed to look up the song I was talking about?

As an update to my situation: I have grinded skeletons in a cave.

...for three days in a row. Alongside my talented companions, this has created a deadly personal army. It has also bolstered my own character to the status of a killer, so now boarding actions are straight-out massacres. I should have tried this sooner.

Oh, and the later skeletons all have excellent weapons, which drop from time to time. I have been able, thus, to equip my guys with the best armaments possible, and the game is a breeze now, at level 15.

As for the P.I.R.A.T.E.S. there are several noteworthy things. Endurance governs how much health you gain with leveling up. This is really important on higher difficulties as you can't block all the swings anymore when your enemies are at a sufficiently high level and you need to be able to take quite the punishment. Starting health is determined by Endurance and Power which as is the amount you can carry. Remember, you have armor, sword, pistol, ammo, health potions, potions against poison, books and loot trinkets. So bring some carrying power. The amount of stamina is dependant on Reaction, you do not get additional stamina for level ups, only if you have the perk dynamo and then it is 1 point per level. So if you want to swing heavy weapons around, you certainly need a lot of Reaction. Talent determines your maximum level and how many perks you get. Authority limits your maximum possible officers. You can work around that number by giving ships to officers, storing them in a harbor, hirering other officers and then taking the ships back. It is a bit of an exploit. The five available quest officers will join you no matter how much Authority you have. All stats effect how fast you level up the respective talents but in the game only the talents themselves matter in fights and such.
Remember, especially in the missions there are several occasions where you have no fighter officers at all and you have to face groups of enemies and single enemies that are very strong on your own. So a good hand to hand fighter is worth his own weight in gold.

Thank you for the advice, Blackmane.

I got my installation back up and running, and have been preying on dutch and spanish traders, this time, using the Arabella. A wonderful ship, if there ever was one. I'm planning on seeing her through all possible upgrades. Level 20 currently, and the skill-ups earned while fighting skellies are paying off very well. I'll look up another cave as soon as possible, for more visits. They're starting to become very fun.

I'd like to apologize for the late reply. Has anyone had the opportunity to identify the piece of classical music I mentioned before? The "Vivaldi Largo" song. I have ran it through about six different music search engines, and none was able to indicate a match.

Sorry KWyz,

I thought that clip was from a Youtube vid I'd DL'd but I had a look through my music folders on the PC it isn't there. I must have pulled it off a CD. I spent a lot of time in Prague some years ago and brought back tons of music because I play all strings (have a BA in Music Performance), and am a classical music aficionado. I will see if I can find it by taking a quick look through those CDs. BTW the new mod has TONS of new music and I think is far superior to the last music mod pak I did. The Vivaldi piece is still there.

MK

Thank you for the update, MK. I'm looking forward to the new mod, once it's finished. Actually, let me install a different instance of CoAS and maybe I'll beta test it as well. Keep up the good work! (in the meanwhile, I'm having a blast with the old one, 1.2 , on which the music is excellent).

That piece certainly sounds italian enough, but anything that would give you a pretext to listen to some classics :).

A small update: using the help of the whole staff, at the software company I work for, I was able to find the song I had asked about. Here it is:

Quite a lovely piece :)

Back