• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Resizing ships?

Lonious

Master Mariner
Greetings,

Is there an easy way to resize the ship models? I've heard there's been a blender plugin released, but I'm ignorant as to how to get it to work, or even download it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Is there an easy way to resize the ship models?
@KillPhil has been doing some of that for the Maelstrom branch.

I've heard there's been a blender plugin released, but I'm ignorant as to how to get it to work, or even download it.
Indeed @Artess999 made them:

@KillPhil has been doing some of that for the Maelstrom branch.

Indeed @Artess999 made them:

Does this work for only Maelstrom?

I got to download the plugins, but I do not know how to install or use it...is there a readme?

Does this work for only Maelstrom?
Completely engine-independent.

I got to download the plugins, but I do not know how to install or use it...is there a readme?
Not sure myself.
As far as I recall, there's less documentation than one might hope for...

With a bit of luck, one of the people tagged here will drop by and comment with some more details.

The plugins are installed like every other Blender plugin.
@Artess999 does have instructions. It's on the download page, just need to scroll a bit to find "Blender Plugin Installation".

The plugins are installed like every other Blender plugin.
@Artess999 does have instructions. It's on the download page, just need to scroll a bit to find "Blender Plugin Installation".
Completely engine-independent.

Not sure myself.
As far as I recall, there's less documentation than one might hope for...

With a bit of luck, one of the people tagged here will drop by and comment with some more details.
Thankfully, I've gotten the plugins to work.

In editing the model file, I simply imported each the file in Ships/FR_SoleilRoyal, clicked "Root" in Blender, pressed S and scaled it to 0.8, then overrided the original files (I made a backup). I believe this should have included things like firing locators.

So far I've managed to downscale Soleil Royal, however, the problem is the sails/flags and firing locations. I'd imagine the collision box also has to be downscaled. Also the "camera position". Would this be possible? Which file/s must I look into?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1606).png
    Screenshot (1606).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
You need to fix the locators with TOOL, because Blender also scales up / down the xx, xy, xz, yx, yy ,yz, zx, zy and zz coordinates, which is wrong. For the Black Pearls, I just had to fix the locators for camera, masts and sails because the cannon locators still acted correctly.

You can theoretically also edit the locators in Blender, so you can use a 3D view as help

You need to fix the locators with TOOL, because Blender also scales up / down the xx, xy, xz, yx, yy ,yz, zx, zy and zz coordinates, which is wrong. For the Black Pearls, I just had to fix the locators for camera, masts and sails because the cannon locators still acted correctly.

You can theoretically also edit the locators in Blender, so you can use a 3D view as help
Thanks for the response. How long did it take you to fix the locators? Is there an easily understandable guide somewhere that I can refer to? Re-editing every single cannon, sail, camera, etc. locator sounds like endless work.

the easiest reference would probably be the locators from the original .gm files. In your case, you probably need to adjust the xx .... coordinates for every cannon back to its original value.

It is quite a bit of work, and there is no "macro" way or something like that in TOOL. You need to edit every value on its own. It is time consuming for sure, which leads me to the question why you want to downscale an already pretty nicely scaled ship anyway..

the easiest reference would probably be the locators from the original .gm files. In your case, you probably need to adjust the xx .... coordinates for every cannon back to its original value.

It is quite a bit of work, and there is no "macro" way or something like that in TOOL. You need to edit every value on its own. It is time consuming for sure, which leads me to the question why you want to downscale an already pretty nicely scaled ship anyway..
The Soleil Royal is actually bigger than the Victory, which doesn't make sense. It's over 80m long as opposed to the historical length of 61m. I wanted the Victory to be the biggest and baddest ship in the game, because historically, this was the way things were. I also feel the same way towards the stock manowars, which are simply excessively large and could use some toning down - not even HMS Victoria - the largest sailing warship ever built - was nearly as big!

I can only think of Chinese treasure ships that reached this scale, but the consensus seems to be that they rarely went to sea.

Likewise, there are several other ships that I would have wanted to resize. Superbe is a little too narrow. The stock battleship, which could have played into the role of an earlier 3rd rate, is a little too big compared to Bellona. Wappen von Hamburg and Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde were actually only slightly bigger than the stock Rossiya frigate. The stock "Warship" model (and Lineship!) seems to be a standard frigate, having only one gun deck but is effectively the size of a 3rd rate (!). Couronne was also slightly smaller, going by the reference online.

Of course none of this affects gameplay, but I would have liked to fool around with the dimensions to match reality, but as you said, it's actually quite time consuming so I probably won't bother.

Last edited:
Back