• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Return of the Obra Dinn

The FPV on the ship is excellent - nice smooth transitions between rooms too, excellent audio

Ah, Lucas Pope from Papers, Please! So we can be assured that it's high-quality work. :)

Still, it looks like it could incorporate some genuinely scary moments, even including jump scares. And I'm too much of a pussy for them. D:

EDIT: Gave it a try and bought it.

I'm positively surprised and begin to love it, even though I normally suck at detective-games.
Because it is what it is: An investigation-game, where you use a magic clock (Sorry for everyone who hates supernatural stuff) to relive the crew's (final) moments and then have to deduce what happened to each one of them.

Some are very obvious: Crewman X tried to break into the captain's cabin and then got shot by him. Others... not so much. As the game states, sometimes you simply have to uncover fates by the process of elimination.
And you also have to find out the respective person's identity, so simply stating how he/she died and if it was a murder or accident isn't enough - if it was indeed murder, then you have to name the culprit as well.

There were 60 persons on board and you have a thick detailed book with over 120 pages to fill. Have fun and good luck with puzzling!
For such a game, it's very complex and not just a simple point & click-adventure.

And beware: despite being monochrome, it's extremely detailed and gory. It doesn't hide what happens when you get shot point-blank.
With a cannon.

Have my recommendation for it!

Last edited:
I've been following the development for a few years. I'm gald it's finally out. I will pick it up when I have the chance.

Completed it with 100% at around 12 hours according to Steam.
Albeit I had to look up some hints on the Steam-forums, simply to get some tips to know what to look for. There's no clue-button like in other games.

RotOD is very hard if you aren't a fan of the genre and tend to overlook small, yet extremely important stuff. Because the game loves to make you identify crewmen by making you look into every nook and cranny since there could be one small crumb of evidence to a person's identity. As a last resort, you can just brute-force (=put different stuff into a profile until the game confirms it) difficult fates, what is exactly what I did with the last 6 or so fates who were some minor crewmen with barely any info on them.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed every minute of it and will start a second playthrough just for fun!

Last edited:
The art/style and atmosphere seem excellent! So many indie titles seem to hit the mark in that regard these days, but not many deliver a lasting, compelling, and replayable, quality game experience. I'll be interested to hear how this game fares in that regard. Like for a good bottle of wine, I think I'll wait for it to mature a bit before tasting. (Perhaps by the time it gathers those reviews it will come out DRM-free, on GOG, as well. In all honesty, no-one should be supporting the totalitarian Valve/Steam...)

Last edited:
Back