• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sailing speed is almost 0. Ironman mode

Is wind in the Caribbean really always at least 12 knots? (Or 12 mph, or 12 kph - whichever unit PoTC uses for wind.) Great for kite-fliers, not so good for anyone whose activities require a low wind speed, really not good if you want to sit on the beach and read a book. xD
From the buoy data, it looks like 12 kts is the average wind speed. I'm going to try dropping the low end to 2 kts and see how it plays.

#define WIND_INCREASE -1.0 // FLOAT - -1.0 - increase wind speed by this amount, 0.0 is default game
// Valid values 0.0 to 10.0, and -1.0
// Recommended value = 10.0 or 5.0 if ships are too fast
// If this number is set to -1.0, the following values will be used instead
// NOTE: Setting more than 16 knots difference between low and high
// is allowed, but may produce undesired results at wind extremes
#define LOWEST_WIND 16.0 // FLOAT - 12.0 - the lowest wind speed you will see (default game 2.0)
// Valid values 2.0 to 26.0
// Recommended value 12.0
#define HIGHEST_WIND 28.0 // FLOAT - 23.0 - the highest wind speed you will see (default game 18.0)
// Valid values 4.0 to 28.0
// Recommended value 23.0

This code on internal settings look like its not working for me, I'm geting a lot of 6 knots of wind on Iron man mode tested multiple trips in a row from jamaica to nevis (and In october+november!), stoping in puerto rico and having some naval battles in between, I do sleep in taverns to wait for better weather but it takes for ever (was Coas that allowed you to talk to yourself to make pass the time? that was handy)

Could It be this code on WhrWeather?:

what do they do the lines I put in blue?, can I edit them somehow to make the game go up to at least 12 knots at the minimum?

float fWindIncrease, fLoWind, fHiWind, fTemp;
fWindIncrease = fclamp(-1.0, 10.0, WIND_INCREASE);
if (fWindIncrease >= 0.0)
{
return stf(Weather.Wind.Speed) + fWindIncrease;
}
else
{
fLoWind = fclamp(2.0, 26.0, LOWEST_WIND);
fHiWind = fclamp(4.0, 28.0, HIGHEST_WIND);

if (fLoWind > fHiWind)
{
fTemp = fLoWind;
fLoWind = fHiWind;
fHiWind = fTemp;
}
if (fLoWind+2.0 > fHiWind) fHiWind = fLoWind + 2.0;
return Bring2Range(fLoWind, fHiWind, 2.0, 18.0, stf(Weather.Wind.Speed));

Last edited:
what do they do the lines I put in blue?, can I edit them somehow to make the game go up to at least 12 knots at the minimum?

fclamp: new-horizons/utils.c at master · Hammie/new-horizons
Makes sure the value is in a specific range (defined by the first 2 params).

Bring2Range: storm-engine/defines.h at 4d55f961c2f8884732f8eac76233b720eb34c81e · storm-devs/storm-engine
Remaps the range from (in this case) [2, 18] onto [fLoWind, fHiWind]

So I'm assuming the original wind speed will be calculated between 2 and 18 and this code is used to scale in to the correct range as defined by the settings. I think, maybe :read

Back