• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Savegame Editor

What kind of people do you think we have on this forum?
With VERY few exceptions, all our replies ARE constructive.

As to your question, there is no actual savegame editor.
However, since much of the game code is accessible, it is possible to do quite a lot of things.
In the similar game, Pirates of the Caribbean, we have written a function called the "console".
This allows us to execute ANY code we want to through the game, including giving the player anything we want,
jump-starting or completing quests, instant teleports and much, much more.
This has the same function as a savegame editor, since you can do this on a savegame, then save and the savegame is edited.

A similar function does not, at the moment, exist in CoAS.
However, it should be pretty easy to add it.
Since I stick to PotC, I hope somebody on the CoAS front will do so one day.
And while he's at it, add a reinitialization function too.

Well, although there isn't a console per say in COAS, there is a Dev mode which if you edit the proper file, you can give yourself any weapon, ship or amount of money.

Open up the "_mod_on_off" in the Program folder and look for "#define MOD_BETTATESTMODE"
It will be set to Off, just change that to on.

To find the debug console file, go to Interface in the Program folder, its the file called "Debuger".

You can read more about it here, http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?/topic/13297-reanabling-cheats-aka-debugwindow-in-german-and-uk-version/

I just want new graphics and stuff I put in to show up without starting a new game. Since the files are changed, but any saves you load still have the old graphics, I figured it must have something to do with the save file itself, so I wanted to look in there and see what might be causing that. It's either that or an init.c file, which I don't have the knowledge to make.

The thing is, I once downloaded and installed the new arabella textures (the red one) and it didn't work. This was before I knew that you had to start a new game when adding things, so I fiddled with it until it showed worked without having to restart. But because I didn't know the real problem, I didn't think to remember HOW I did that. I sure wish I had written it down.

What COAS needs, but does not have one yet is a reintiallize button. That way we don't have to start a new game everytime we load add new content.

Sorry to say, but you will have to start a new game to have most of your new content to show up in your game.

Generally for textures, you do not need to restart a game so for your ship question, perhaps your arabella texture is named differently than the original? Did it come with it's own model?

Use a hexeditor and open up the ship model and look around for the name of the texture, see if it matches the one you want to install.

Indeed your problem sounds more like an initialization issue.
But as Officerpuppy correctly points out, all texture replacements are immediate. :yes

Huh. Wonder why it didn't work the first time then. Maybe I installed it wrong. THat would be hard to do, though, since it's just a drag-and-drop addon. Anyway, it's curious why no one has made a reinit for coas yet. I've seen more than one request for one. I tried putting the reinit.c for PotC in the CoAS dir, but it makes the game crash on startup, and any modification beyond that is out of my league...at least for now. I'd love to learn how to code for this game. It doesn't look super-hard...

I spoke to Luke about it, we hope to have something like it in the next patch or the one after, it's not easy to implement when all of us here are just learning how to mod COAS ourselves :shrug

Yeah, this is a deceptively hard game to mod for. Or the learning curve is steep, at least. But I just made my first sail...well, actually, it's just a recolor of someone else's...But I think I did a good job. Baby steps. Baby steps.

Deceptively hard? I always found it really easy, what with the game code being so nicely accessible.
As for the Reinit code and Console code, I reckon it shouldn't be too hard to add these to CoAS.
First step should be to just add two new keyboard controls and link them to new functions from new files.
For testing purpose, you could use a function with a simple LogIt to check if the button control works.
That's basically all that's needed for the Console. Then the Reinit will need to actually have a function written.
But I can see if I can help with that once you've added the controls.

It is as u said. You have to write reinit file and just add a command to console that will run teh file. I tried it many times but reinit always crash the game and i droped this project becaeuse I don't have a clue what is wrong. If anyone know how to write working reinit code for COAS share it.

The console is easier than reinit.c as the console just calls on code that changes the game instantly as for reinit it updates your core game files (ships_init.c etc.)

The console is easier than reinit.c as the console just calls on code that changes the game instantly as for reinit it updates your core game files (ships_init.c etc.)

I was taking about writing a file that you run from console it's the same as writing the code directly in debuger but i prefer writing another file that you run from debuger. Debuger is a kind of console for CoAS cause whatever you write in debuger.c you can use in game without starting new one.

Back