• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bug Screen freeze and game still running

Sinbad the Sailor

Sailor Apprentice
I've had this bug in another savefile before, and now it is happening again. Sometimes when going to the sea or to the ship (any travel method) the screen is stuck in the loading screen. If I press any button I can see that the game is still running, so it is very weird. Tried deleting the options file and no luck

Which sort of ship are you using?

Can you upload "system.log", or a savegame in which this problem regularly happens?

I've had this bug in another savefile before, and now it is happening again. Sometimes when going to the sea or to the ship (any travel method) the screen is stuck in the loading screen. If I press any button I can see that the game is still running, so it is very weird. Tried deleting the options file and no luck
Are you playing windowed mode or fullscreen?
I recommend windowed set to your desktop resolution and with "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)" compatibility mode.

Otherwise, if for whatever reason the game window loses focus (Alt+Tab, or some process running in the background), the game stops displaying properly. :facepalm

Which sort of ship are you using?

Can you upload "system.log", or a savegame in which this problem regularly happens?
Dauntless (cutler beckett's ship, I started a new freeplay save with cutler beckett and the freeze happened too) and a 1st ship of the line. Maybe they are causing the freeze?
Are you playing windowed mode or fullscreen?
I recommend windowed set to your desktop resolution and with "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)" compatibility mode.

Otherwise, if for whatever reason the game window loses focus (Alt+Tab, or some process running in the background), the game stops displaying properly. :facepalm
I am playing on fullscreen mode, the windowed didn't work as intended for me. The taskbar kept showing up and it was giving me a headache :p
I know about the alt+tab problem, so I don't do it. Maybe there's something to do with it, even though I don't press the buttons?

Attachments

• system.log
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
Yes, I've seen something similar with various 100 gun ships as well. Going to the ship's deck sometimes hangs the game with the same sort of messages in "system.log":
Code:
The device is lost and cannot be restored at the current time, so rendering is not possible
It doesn't always happen, and I usually save game in port just before going to sea, so when it happens I can quit the game (need to either press the "Windows" button to bring up the taskbar and close the game, or press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and use Task Manager to stop it), then run the game again and load the savegame.

But going directly to sea always works for me. On the dock, when the icon to board ship appears, don't press Space or F3 to go to the deck. Press Enter, which should bring up a row of command icons, one of which goes straight to sea. I usually do that anyway; the only time I need to go to deck is if I then want to go to the cabin to do things to the ship's chest or weapons locker, or to the cargo hold to talk to prisoners.

Yes, I've seen something similar with various 100 gun ships as well. Going to the ship's deck sometimes hangs the game with the same sort of messages in "system.log":
Code:
The device is lost and cannot be restored at the current time, so rendering is not possible
It doesn't always happen, and I usually save game in port just before going to sea, so when it happens I can quit the game (need to either press the "Windows" button to bring up the taskbar and close the game, or press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and use Task Manager to stop it), then run the game again and load the savegame.

But going directly to sea always works for me. On the dock, when the icon to board ship appears, don't press Space or F3 to go to the deck. Press Enter, which should bring up a row of command icons, one of which goes straight to sea. I usually do that anyway; the only time I need to go to deck is if I then want to go to the cabin to do things to the ship's chest or weapons locker, or to the cargo hold to talk to prisoners.
Not a complaint, but from now on I'll have to do this everytime if I want to play?

Saving game frequently is a good idea anyway. There are other things that can go wrong, including getting killed or messing up a quest.

The big 100 gun ships are alright for attacking forts, but for general plundering I prefer something smaller and faster, such as a frigate or fast war galleon. And they're not liable to crash the game when I go onto the deck. So I'll typically keep the big ship under the command of an officer, sail the fast ship myself, and only swap to the big battlewagon when I'm about to loot a town.

Saving game frequently is a good idea anyway. There are other things that can go wrong, including getting killed or messing up a quest.

The big 100 gun ships are alright for attacking forts, but for general plundering I prefer something smaller and faster, such as a frigate or fast war galleon. And they're not liable to crash the game when I go onto the deck. So I'll typically keep the big ship under the command of an officer, sail the fast ship myself, and only swap to the big battlewagon when I'm about to loot a town.
Yeah I was thinking about that... it's just so fun to obliterate most ships with a single shot though :cheers

the windowed didn't work as intended for me. The taskbar kept showing up and it was giving me a headache :p
Even if you use that "Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)" compatibility mode?
That definitely makes a lot of difference for me...

It may be a placebo effect but since I started using the compatibility mode the game seems to be running way better than before. I'll keep you updated about it
The thing that it fixes for me is that without it sometimes, if the game loses focus during booting,
it ends up 75% outside the screen (disappearing into the lower-right corner of the screen).

The game doesn't even crash when signing articles anymore! Compatibility mode feels like a life saver right now
Did NOT expect that to be related!! :shock

On the other hand, that sounded like a bizarre bug in the first place.
Couldn't think of any reason why that should be crash-worthy...

Back