• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sea of Thieves

What was your reaction to the Beta?

• Postive

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As soon as a game allows my fun to be destroyed by a single other player, I am out.
That perfectly encapsulates my disdain for MMORPGs. I think that's the acronym. Nothing sucks the fun out of an experience like having someone crash on you like a Valkyrie when you're struggling to learn the basics.

One year anniversary is coming up soon. For those that still play, what are you thoughts on the game now that it's been almost a year since release? I work nights so I don't really get my game on until the weekend and even on the weekends I got things to do so I don't play no where near as much as I used to.

One year anniversary is coming up soon. For those that still play, what are you thoughts on the game now that it's been almost a year since release? I work nights so I don't really get my game on until the weekend and even on the weekends I got things to do so I don't play no where near as much as I used to.

I have stopped playing it long ago, but I still keep reading the forums about new updates in the hopes that Rare will introduce some pure PvE-modes.

So far my impression is that while the game has introduced a lot of new content (albeit all items are still pure cosmetics), the boards have spawned quite a lot of threads from players complaining about griefing. Though it's less about actual griefing, but more about people "just" being dicks for the sake of pissing other players off.
With that in mind, I won't buy the game in the current state, but wait until the Arena-update hits and then look forward to new PvE-options.

Rare will never introduce PvE modes as it would undermine the core concept of the game, and I applaud them for it.

That said, as someone who's sticking with it, I still maintain its the best Pirate game I have played in my entire life, and its only getting better. I'm particularly thrilled with the new damage system they introduced with the anniversary update, now actually being able to damage key parts of a ship such as the helm, capstan and all of the masts. Artillery battles now have much more tactical depth to them rather than just focusing on poking holes on other ships.
I swear, I've had moments that have almost felt like in the opening scene of Master & Commander where the opening volley just wrecks havoc with everything aboard ship, and the game now even has real fog to boot!
The Arena is... interesting, not quite my cup of tea since I prefer the random and emergent gameplay of the primary game mode(adventure more), but its definitely something nice to just sit down with if you have like a half hour to kill, as each match only lasts 20 minutes.

It's not a game suited for everyone, and it really doesn't have to be. But its one hell of a ride for those that have the stomach for it. And even then its still an extremely forgiving game unlike some of the MMORPG's out there that make you grind your butt off for a ship, and then penalize you severely when you lose a battle.

Back