• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Seas of Fortune (Previously called The Whaler)

When you have anything to post, let us know here and we'll see what we can do.
Hopefully my internet will (finally!) be back soon, which would help a lot. ;)

You're definitely welcome to ask for testers here!
Can't give any guarantees on myself having time to spare, but I'm sure there will be some people interested. :yes

I wonder what @Armada, @Captain Murphy and/or @Flannery would think...

That looks really cool!
I accidentally ran into a seafaring comic book myself last Friday, but I forgot to buy it or check out the title, so now I don't know what it was or how to get it. :facepalm
It was something that, at first impression, seemed like "Hornblower: The Comic", but of course it wouldn't actually have been Hornblower.
Do you have any clue what it might have been...? It was in Dutch, but that may have been a translation.

EDIT: Quick search on Google didn't give any results. Unless it was "Roodbaard" (="Redbeard"). But I thought it was something else...

Great! Will do just that, thanks again! :D

We are live on Kickstarter guys and gals! Any help in promoting the event would be highly appreciated! <3

Link to the campagin: Seas of Fortune: A 16th - 17th Century Trade Sim

Battlescene3333.jpg

I have to say, I love the customizable player portrait, but it's odd to me that almost all the clothes and hat options and all the character artwork shown are so unmistakably 18th century (and quite late 18th century at that), when the game is supposedly set in the 16th-17th century. And the lovely port background image looks postively 19th century. I understand artistic license but consistency is also important and the current material is lacking on it. I imagine during pra-alpha many ideas and different concepts are being thrown about and played with, but I'd like the final result to be more consistent.

I have to say, I love the customizable player portrait, but it's odd to me that almost all the clothes and hat options and all the character artwork shown are so unmistakably 18th century (and quite late 18th century at that), when the game is supposedly set in the 16th-17th century. And the lovely port background image looks postively 19th century. I understand artistic license but consistency is also important and the current material is lacking on it. I imagine during pra-alpha many ideas and different concepts are being thrown about and played with, but I'd like the final result to be more consistent.

Its not a final version at all, it was a test to see how it works because it is one of the easiest things to change since its just layers. It was basically to get tech working. :) Thanks for the feedback though, glad you liked the general idea.

We know uniforms where rarely seen if seen at all in the 16th century - 17th. But we have to be a bit creative to show a good variations in our tests, most clothing from that time (from our research) where quite boring actually. :)

The final result will be 100% consistent. We already have a historian feeding us a good amount of info. :)

The final result will be 100% consistent. We already have a historian feeding us a good amount of info. :)
I wouldn't recommend going for the full 100%.
Aim for 90 and use the rest for some healthy creative license where you think it fits.
You don't want to paint yourself in a corner in advance. ;)

I wouldn't recommend going for the full 100%.
Aim for 90 and use the rest for some healthy creative license where you think it fits.
You don't want to paint yourself in a corner in advance. ;)

We did find a lot of cool costumes though, we will probably spice it up a bit or at least add something so the player can make that decision himself. =)

"Perfect is the enemy of good" - Voltaire

Just remember that maybe 5-10% of users will notice small details like that, and roughly 1% will let it affect their playing the game. If you get hung up on things like that, you will never make the game 'perfect'.

"Perfect is the enemy of good" - Voltaire

Just remember that maybe 5-10% of users will notice small details like that, and roughly 1% will let it affect their playing the game. If you get hung up on things like that, you will never make the game 'perfect'.

Yes, thats true.

This is why we want to have choices, you want to go full historical accuracy in the portrait? Go ahead. You want something more flashy because you just like it? Go ahead. Personally I love choices when customizing, it dosent have to be deep customization but I love having it anyway, knowing its there.

There is a 3 year plan for the game after full release which involves an expansion pack with new ships and updated ports taking place 100-150 years ahead. So it will work for us anyway ;)

Oh yeah, forgot to ask:

Will you be able to sail different ships, like you work your way up from a small cutter to the largest ship a civilian can buy?

Back