• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Several questions about the mod

Lonious

Master Mariner
I've decided to simply post a single thread where I can ask all my questions about the mod instead of cluttering up the forums with them. I hope this is fine with you.

1 - Where did some sounds go? I noticed there are no hurt/death/slash sounds. And it seems to me the footsteps have become much softer.

2 - The Dutchman seems to have a custom firing sound but it isn't heard ingame. How can this be enabled?

3 - Is there a way I can tamper with the levels of enemy ships depending on their type? The way I understand it is Merchant<Pirate<Navy (in order of higher level). I find them to be generally way too high and would prefer if Merchants are ~10-20, Pirates 15-30, and Navy 20-40. I hope this also affects their boarder HP (in the game I've set the HP per level to be 5 only, because I prefer the stock game's HP system which never goes above 200).

4 - Boarding: It seems to me that the game no longer takes into consideration the number of crewmen you have vs. your enemy. So I can pilot a 1st rate and end up overwhelmed by a 6th rate or so. I want the stock game system back because, this was more realistic (having 1000 men should be a landslide victory vs. a much smaller ship of 100, not vice versa).

5 - Boarding: A way to bring back the "dueling pairs" system instead of a group of men on your side running to the other ship, ending up with people constantly doing the running animation waiting for the men in front to get killed before reaching their targets. This was so hilarious to see lol.

6 - On that note, I still notice that certain characters' level increase with you, such as the fort garrison, some bandits, etc. I don't want any characters in the game at all to depend on my level.

7 - Muskets don't kill my character. They should. Or, an option to disable muskets entirely (I rarely play with the gunpowder setting on so this means muskets can reload indefinitely and this would make them OP) and maybe arm town guards with smaller guns.

8 - Disabling the merchant guard assault when you kill a trader.

9 - Changing the "Arcade Mode" setting for ships to match the "Realistic Mode" from the stock game. I prefer the mod's "Realistic" setting over the Arcade Mode, but I hate playing in fast forward and it takes forever to end sea battles with realistic wind. I admire how this seems to match real life sea battles, but I want an option to get the old version back (the one without too much wind interference).

10 - Playing on the old stock game world map? IDK, sometimes I miss it when each town was unique and not an identical copy of the other.

11 - How to get animists as my boarders? The Mefisto has animists fight you (and rightfully so, the original game just had random pirates lol). So, perhaps this should be possible as well for my own if I want to roleplay as the animists.

12- Reputation decrease to occur when you kill an unarmed character, not hurt them, like in the original. Punching someone a few times shouldn't bring someone's reputation down to Horror of High Seas. Likewise, guards to go after you the moment you strike a villager, not just the moment you actually kill them.

13 - Having a "cheat" option to buy any ship from any era in any shipyard so that I could stage a battle simulator with choice ships?

14 - Bringing back the maximum number of ships from 8 to 4. Having too many ships makes my game lag, and it doesn't feel fair when you can't assemble a fleet that large yourself.

15 - Getting rid of tailor shops and merging them with stores instead to simplify things.

16 - The ability to customise your starting level, skills, abilities, inventory, reputation, wealth.

17 - The ability to make enemy ships never run away. If I'm on a Tier 3 ship against four Tier 4 ships, they still have a chance of winning, and I want to see if they will.

18 - It's way more difficult now to increase my REP by donating to churches I sometimes wonder if it makes any sense at all to do so. I want the original setting for this back.

19 - Disabling the smoke when you knock someone out with fists.

20 - Decreasing REP plummet from suddenly attacking a friendly ship (e.g. Neutral to Swindler, not Horror of High Seas).

OK, I understand not all of these may be possible, but I would really love it if even a few of these get fixed. This mod has tons of potential to be addictive.

Last edited:
1: I've noticed that as well, but couldn't see how to fix it.
2: It might be possible by editing "PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIBalls.c", finding the commands that play sounds in function 'Ball_AddBall', and adding a section to check if you're in the Dutchman and if so, 'Play3DSound("cannon_fire_DUTCHMAN", fX, fY, fZ);'. Whether this is a good idea is another matter. I listened to the cannon sound for Flying Dutchman in VLC, as well as some of the other cannon sounds. All the others have the sound of one shot firing and are 1-2 seconds long. The one for Flying Dutchman sounds like a main shot, a second quieter shot, then the sound of a cannonball whizzing overhead, for a total of about 6 seconds.
3: Probably, though I don't know how off-hand.
4: It certainly does take account of the number of crew, which is reflected by the number of boarders on each side. The side that has a lot more crew should have a lot more boarders on deck. Certainly when I've been the one outnumbered, I don't have as many boarders, and sometimes I don't even have all three of my party officers. But boarding also takes account of equipment. Enemy boarders will have decent swords, and enemy naval boarders may have built-in armour protection. Unless you've been putting swords and armour into your weapons locker, your crew have basic cutlasses and no armour. And a small, well-equipped force can certainly defeat a much larger, poorly equipped force. By comparison, once I've put some battle cuirasses and good quality swept-hilt rapiers into my weapons locker, my boarders are the ones with the superior equipment, and I can take on larger warships. Also, as I remember, in the stock game, officers were useless - even when given a good sword and even when they had "Melee" skill 10 and all the combat abilities, they'd get killed very quickly during boarding.
5: It's not exactly realistic for the crew to teleport over to the enemy ship and pair up with their crew either!
6: Tracking down the code which sets the levels for all those characters would take some effort. And if I remember correctly, even in the stock game, random thugs in the jungle depended on my level.
7: Guns in general don't kill your character, some enemy has to finish you off with a sword, otherwise you'd die too easily, especially earlier in the game when some pistols can take a lot of HP off you - and especially if enemy level is not dependent on yours, which means you could be starting the game and be killed by the first enemy to carry a grapeshot weapon. But a musket will take a lot of HP off you and the first enemy to touch you will probably kill you. As for town guards, they've been made tougher to stop the exploit of killing lots of guards and getting lots of free weapons.
8: Same thing - killing a trader and stealing all his equipment is a major exploit, and the merchant guards put a stop to that exploit. If you want to cheat and get lots of free weapons by killing guards and traders, cheat! Edit "InternalSettings.h", go to the bottom, enable cheatmode, then press numeric keypad '0' in game to make yourself immortal. That is, presumably, the intended result of reducing enemy crew levels, giving town guards weak weapons and removing the protection from street traders. ;)
9: I'm not sure, but I believe NH's "Arcade" mode is the stock game's sailing mode.
10: All the stock game towns are still there, renamed. Oxbay is Speightstown, Greenford is Bridgetown, Redmond is Port Royale, Falaise de Fleur is St. Pierre, Douwesen is Kralendijk, Isla Muelle is San Juan, Conceicao is Sao Jorge, and Quebradas Costillas is Nevis Pirate Settlement. If you only want to see stock towns, confine your attention to those. Just don't take any sidequests or play any storylines which go anywhere else. Of course, if the stock map were put back, you wouldn't be able to play any of those sidequests or storylines anyway!
11: See what happens if you edit "PROGRAM\Loc_ai\LAi_boarding.c". Find this bit:
Code:
            switch(boardermodel_val)
            {
                case "skeleton": gmodel = SelectBoardingGroup("skel", 1, 4, boarder_num, "man"); model = ExtractBoarderModel(gmodel); break;
                case "corsair": gmodel = SelectBoardingGroup("corsair", 1, 5, boarder_num, "man"); model = ExtractBoarderModel(gmodel); break;
                case "marine": gmodel = SelectBoardingGroup("rn_warnt18_", 1, 5, boarder_num, "man"); model = ExtractBoarderModel(gmodel); break;
                case "masked": gmodel = SelectBoardingGroup("mask_", 2, 4, boarder_num, "man"); model = ExtractBoarderModel(gmodel); break;
                case "girl": gmodel = SelectBoardingGroup("towngirl", 1, 7, boarder_num, "woman"); model = ExtractBoarderModel(gmodel); break;
                case "soldier": gmodel = SelectBoardingSoldiers(iNation, boarder_num); model = ExtractBoarderModel(gmodel); break;
                case "boarder": gmodel = SelectBoardingBoarders(boarder_num); model = ExtractBoarderModel(gmodel); break;
                case "standard": model = LAi_GetBoardingModel(mchr, &ani); break;
            }
Add a line:
Code:
case "animist": gmodel = SelectBoardingGroup("Animists", 1, 2, boarder_num, "man"); model = ExtractBoarderModel(gmodel); break;
And in "InternalSettings.h", set "BOARDERMODEL" to "animist". Note: I haven't tested any of this so I don't guarantee it will work, or for that matter that it won't break the game! Try at your own risk...
12: Alternatively, since you've enabled cheatmode in order to kill guards and traders with impunity, just press numeric keypad '7' to set your reputation to whatever you think it should be after killing defenceless citizens. ;) (You're a visitor in this town, the locals know each other, and you've just attacked one of them in full view of an armed policeman. Guess what would happen if you tried that in reality!)
13: It would probably be a lot easier to write a sidequest to set up the battle of your choice.
14: Edit "PROGRAM\Encounters\Encounters_init.c". Find all lines including 'Enc_AddShips', except the one right near the top which defines the function. Change any lines such as 'Enc_AddShips(rEnc, "War", 2, 8);'. The first number is the minimum number of ships in the encounter, the second number is the maximum, so you'd want to replace that 8 with 4, meaning the group can now only contain between 2 and 4 warships. Watch for encounters which include both trade and war groups, e.g.:
Code:
    Enc_AddShips(rEnc, "Trade", 3, 6);
    Enc_AddShips(rEnc, "War", 1, 4);
That assigns between 3 and 6 merchants and between 1 and 4 warships, for a total maximum of 10 ships. If you only want 4 total then you'll need to decide what balance of merchants and warships you want.
15: Apart from removing turning one used building into an inert piece of scenery, merging tailor dialog with shopkeeper dialog would not be easy. It's a lot simpler for both coding and gameplay to leave them separate!
16: To some extent you already can customise your starting skills. Try FreePlaying (or starting "Tales of a Sea Hawk") with a different character type. Beyond that, since you're enabling cheatmode, you can give yourself free levels, which will give you free ability points to add as you see fit. If you go into "Options" and change "Experience Gain" to "Manually distribute received skill points", then those extra free levels should also give you free skill points to spend however you like. And with cheatmode enabled, tailors have the ability to reset your ability and skill points so you can reassign them.
17: I've no idea how to do that.
18: You can use cheatmode to change your reputation to whatever you like.
19: Edit "PROGRAM\Loc_ai\types\LAi_stunned.c". Find this part:
Code:
    if(playGFX)
    {
        CreateParticleSystem("stars" , x, y+1, z, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 20);
    }
Delete it, or at least delete the 'CreateParticleSystem' line.
20: Just use cheatmode to fix your reputation.

Thanks for the response.
4: It certainly does take account of the number of crew, which is reflected by the number of boarders on each side. The side that has a lot more crew should have a lot more boarders on deck. Certainly when I've been the one outnumbered, I don't have as many boarders, and sometimes I don't even have all three of my party officers. But boarding also takes account of equipment. Enemy boarders will have decent swords, and enemy naval boarders may have built-in armour protection. Unless you've been putting swords and armour into your weapons locker, your crew have basic cutlasses and no armour. And a small, well-equipped force can certainly defeat a much larger, poorly equipped force. By comparison, once I've put some battle cuirasses and good quality swept-hilt rapiers into my weapons locker, my boarders are the ones with the superior equipment, and I can take on larger warships. Also, as I remember, in the stock game, officers were useless - even when given a good sword and even when they had "Melee" skill 10 and all the combat abilities, they'd get killed very quickly during boarding.
Does it though? I got butchered by a 6th rate when I boarded it with my fully loaded first rate. This isn't fair, even if the enemy's weapons were superior, and I suspect something was changed, and would love to have the old form back if possible.
5: It's not exactly realistic for the crew to teleport over to the enemy ship and pair up with their crew either!
I know, but it makes more sense for the gameplay. Is there no way to bring it back?
9: I'm not sure, but I believe NH's "Arcade" mode is the stock game's sailing mode.
Right now, this is the biggest issue I want to solve. Apparently, sea battles are too easy because of the wind for some reason. The AI seems to like to keep running in circles around my ship, enabling me to bombard them continuously while they don't dish out broadsides. I just butchered a Constitution frigate with the "Surprise" on "Realistic" mode, but on "Arcade", it butchered me, as it should.

Is there a way to remove the wind's effect on "Realistic"? By this I mean giving it as much influence as if on "Arcade" mode only, or as if on "Realistic" from the stock game. I don't want to just play on "Arcade" because the ships become ludicrously fast and mobile.

Actually right now, I'm editing every single ships.init entry to make the "Arcade" and "Realistic" speeds & turn rates identical so that I can play on "Arcade" without ultra fast ships, but it's taking forever lol.

Perhaps this is the main issue. I wonder if there's a way to edit such a file in a fast way. I use LibreOffice but it doesn't seem to have the option to find and replace entire paragraphs.

Last edited:
Is there a way to remove the wind's effect on "Realistic"? By this I mean giving it as much influence as if on "Arcade" mode only, or as if on "Realistic" from the stock game. I don't want to just play on "Arcade" because the ships become ludicrously fast and mobile.

Actually right now, I'm editing every single ships.init entry to make the "Arcade" and "Realistic" speeds & turn rates identical so that I can play on "Arcade" without ultra fast ships, but it's taking forever lol.
Revert the changes, and open "PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h".
Search for "#define ARCADE_MULT_TURN" and "#define ARCADE_MULT_SPEED".
Change those to your liking, and set the game to arcade mode.

Edit: "#define ARCADE_MULT_CANNONS" may also interest you.

Will check it out.

Is there any way to alter the code for escaping ships? I think ships run away too often. Just recently I had a first rate back off despite it eliminating nearly all my guns and its health at like 50%. I was on the Flying Dutchman (whose HP I edited down to 7000).

Just an update.

So far, I've managed to find the solution to ships running away and surrendering too often - I simply edited the "Morale Decrease" options in Internal Settings to 0. Now, it seems that ships don't surrender or run away at all, which is what I intended.

However, it seems that there's one more factor that I want to address. Ship AI seems to be mediocre. To test this out. I made myself and my companion Level 100+, and all our skills are 10 and both of us have all ship-related abilities achieved. However, I am in an inferior ship and when we fight, he keeps turning round and round, enabling me to broadside his bow/stern which becomes exposed every time he does. So, I win with over 60% health left.

Instead of continuously broadsiding me they like to turn around for some reason, exposing themselves. I'm not sure this was the same in the stock game, but I hope there was some fix to this...in addition, the AI doesn't seem as accurate when they shoot me?

Would be interested to hear your ideas on this one.

EDIT: OK, it looks like they still run away when their health is low, even if the crew morale doesn't drop. I need to find a way to disable ships leaving the fight scene.

The tier system also prevents fights against smaller ships. For example, I can't fight Flying Dutchman with a first rate, even though it has 100K HP because I think there's some trigger that causes ships to run away from you as long as you have a higher tier.

Another problem: The mast graphics glitch. Has there been a fix for this yet? The game becomes unplayable when one of my masts fall, such that the screen is obscured by a "stretched mast texture" for the rest of the battle.

Last edited:
Just an update.

So, it looks like I managed to find some cause as to the AI's "stupidity". I think one reason is on Arcade, ships turn way slower. This makes the AI's already questionable strategy of running around in circles even more detrimental.

On Realistic, ships have inertia and turn faster, so even if the AI does this, they have a better chance of fighting back properly. Although personally I like to fight without realistic wind, because battles seem to take too long with the wind. Generally I'm forced to speed up the time, which I feel really sucks because it kills the immersion of sailing and naval combat. So I'm basically forced to replace each ship's Arcade settings with Realistic ones.

One observation with Ship Hunting quests. I wish there was a way to get rid of the random ships generated in ports when this happens. I basically stopped roleplaying as a Navy Officer because the only feasible way to start out, unless you're already on a frigate or manowar, is to ship hunt, and allied ships would just go ahead and destroy the target ship themselves without needing my assistance. I'd go to the Governor and then earn an undeserved reward. While I certainly like ships spawning in ports, I wish they wouldn't appear whenever a Ship Hunting quest is in motion.

Speaking of ships in ports - I was thinking of a way to make sure enemy ships don't appear next to the fort, as this feels kinda unrealistic (unless, of course, they're ships of the line and are looking to siege the town - an idea that I believe has been raised in this forum before but abandoned). A gang of small pirate ships would sometimes even sail all the way to my ship even if it was docked just beside the fort.

Governor's daughter - too often they wear ordinary clothing. By contrast, I've felt that too many NPCs wear inappropriately expensive clothes, such as some of the female storeowners or townsfolk. Of course, I know how to change this myself and thankfully it's easy. But having the governor's daughter wear appropriately lavish clothing would really raise the aesthetics of this game. To add to this, I feel that they appear way too early. I think the Governor should begin considering pairing you up only when you've reached a rather high rank, such as Commander or Vice Commodore (like Norrington in the first film).

Boarding - OK, it looks like I was slightly wrong here. Smaller ships do spawn less men than yours. However, I notice two issues. Firstly, I dueled a ship slightly larger than mine (I had around 160 starting crew and he had like 213) then I reduced his crew to half. After boarding him, I had like 1 or 2 men and he had like a dozen. Obviously, this isn't exactly proportionate to the amount of crew he had in comparison to mine. Half of 213 would be 106, which is considerably less than my own. He should have had at least an equal number of boarders.

Secondly, I'm still trying to figure out why the enemy boarders are so damn tough. Being Level 30, equipped with a Cheap Cuirass, with a Melee skill of 10 plus Professional Fencer, still didn't stop me from getting butchered after around 3-4 strikes. Meanwhile, the enemy soldier only goes down after 13 hits from my own blade, even if my blade is actually better than his. Does the enemy automatically equip Gold Cuirasses? And why is his attack SO deadly? I'm really curious as to the mechanism behind this, and would really be interested in fixing it.

Last edited:
One observation with Ship Hunting quests. I wish there was a way to get rid of the random ships generated in ports when this happens. I basically stopped roleplaying as a Navy Officer because the only feasible way to start out, unless you're already on a frigate or manowar, is to ship hunt...
Or go after unescorted merchants.

Governor's daughter - too often they wear ordinary clothing. By contrast, I've felt that too many NPCs wear inappropriately expensive clothes, such as some of the female storeowners or townsfolk. Of course, I know how to change this myself and thankfully it's easy. But having the governor's daughter wear appropriately lavish clothing would really raise the aesthetics of this game. To add to this, I feel that they appear way too early. I think the Governor should begin considering pairing you up only when you've reached a rather high rank, such as Commander or Vice Commodore (like Norrington in the first film).
At low rank, you're probably being introduced to a niece rather than a daughter. This idea of meeting governors' female relatives was probably borrowed from Sid Meier's "Pirates" game, in which you'd meet plain-looking daughters early on, and more attractive daughters later. Certainly that is the case here - don't waste time chatting up plain-looking nieces, wait until you're a Commander or Commodore, when you will indeed be introduced to daughters wearing much nicer dresses.

Boarding - OK, it looks like I was slightly wrong here. Smaller ships do spawn less men than yours. However, I notice two issues. Firstly, I dueled a ship slightly larger than mine (I had around 160 starting crew and he had like 213) then I reduced his crew to half. After boarding him, I had like 1 or 2 men and he had like a dozen. Obviously, this isn't exactly proportionate to the amount of crew he had in comparison to mine. Half of 213 would be 106, which is considerably less than my own. He should have had at least an equal number of boarders.
Where did you get that estimate of 213 enemy crew? The spyglass isn't reliable, you can only see the crew who are on deck, so the actual crew is probably larger. What sort of ship were you sailing and what sort of ship were you attacking? The only times I've seen a dozen enemy boarders is on really big ships such as tier 1 or 2. More normal is about half a dozen. Meanwhile, on your side, you and your officers count against your boarding total. You, three officers and a couple of boarding crew add up to 6. And so, if I'm boarding something like a frigate and have a similar size ship, I can expect to have two boarding crew plus myself and officers, against about half a dozen enemy boarders.

Secondly, I'm still trying to figure out why the enemy boarders are so damn tough. Being Level 30, equipped with a Cheap Cuirass, with a Melee skill of 10 plus Professional Fencer, still didn't stop me from getting butchered after around 3-4 strikes. Meanwhile, the enemy soldier only goes down after 13 hits from my own blade, even if my blade is actually better than his. Does the enemy automatically equip Gold Cuirasses? And why is his attack SO deadly? I'm really curious as to the mechanism behind this, and would really be interested in fixing it.
I'd like to know why your enemy boarders are so tough, too. Admittedly, if you're using a Cheap Cuirass then your Melee skill is reduced by 1 so you're effectively fighting at 9. But I've been able to board enemy ships while having less than 10 Melee, though I was wearing a Battle Cuirass at the time. So were all my officers. (I never use Cheap Cuirass precisely because it reduces my Melee skill, and never give it to officers either.) Remember to put weapons and armour into the weapons locker so that your boarding crew are also properly equipped.

Or go after unescorted merchants.

At low rank, you're probably being introduced to a niece rather than a daughter. This idea of meeting governors' female relatives was probably borrowed from Sid Meier's "Pirates" game, in which you'd meet plain-looking daughters early on, and more attractive daughters later. Certainly that is the case here - don't waste time chatting up plain-looking nieces, wait until you're a Commander or Commodore, when you will indeed be introduced to daughters wearing much nicer dresses.

Hmm...surely even the nieces would be rich enough to buy better clothes. IDK, I would personally prefer that there'd be no women at all in the beginning, that feels way too undeserved. Anyways, if there's an easy way to change this, just let me know.

Where did you get that estimate of 213 enemy crew? The spyglass isn't reliable, you can only see the crew who are on deck, so the actual crew is probably larger. What sort of ship were you sailing and what sort of ship were you attacking? The only times I've seen a dozen enemy boarders is on really big ships such as tier 1 or 2. More normal is about half a dozen. Meanwhile, on your side, you and your officers count against your boarding total. You, three officers and a couple of boarding crew add up to 6. And so, if I'm boarding something like a frigate and have a similar size ship, I can expect to have two boarding crew plus myself and officers, against about half a dozen enemy boarders.

I'd like to know why your enemy boarders are so tough, too. Admittedly, if you're using a Cheap Cuirass then your Melee skill is reduced by 1 so you're effectively fighting at 9. But I've been able to board enemy ships while having less than 10 Melee, though I was wearing a Battle Cuirass at the time. So were all my officers. (I never use Cheap Cuirass precisely because it reduces my Melee skill, and never give it to officers either.) Remember to put weapons and armour into the weapons locker so that your boarding crew are also properly equipped.

OK, it looks like I found one problem - the enemy automatically equips powerful weapons and I keep forgetting to put in advanced weapons in the locker. So I think what happened was, the enemy may have spawned an equal number of men to mine, but my men got butchered for having inferiour armament. Maybe this is why. I just need to investigate this further.

Hmm...surely even the nieces would be rich enough to buy better clothes. IDK, I would personally prefer that there'd be no women at all in the beginning, that feels way too undeserved. Anyways, if there's an easy way to change this, just let me know.
You can easily change the outfits by editing "PROGRAM\Dialog_func.c", function "FindMRModel". Note that if you're playing a female character, this sets governors' male relatives instead. As for changing the minimum rank at which you can be introduced, function "SetupMR" is in the same file. Find this line:
Code:
if(GetRank(pchar, nation) < 3) return false;
Change that 3 to whatever you want the minimum eligible rank to be.

You can also try editing MR_INTRODUCE_CHANCE and MR_INTR_CH_RANK_SCL, which are also defined in "Dialog_func.c", currently at lines 87 and 88.

You can easily change the outfits by editing "PROGRAM\Dialog_func.c", function "FindMRModel". Note that if you're playing a female character, this sets governors' male relatives instead. As for changing the minimum rank at which you can be introduced, function "SetupMR" is in the same file. Find this line:
Code:
if(GetRank(pchar, nation) < 3) return false;
Change that 3 to whatever you want the minimum eligible rank to be.

You can also try editing MR_INTRODUCE_CHANCE and MR_INTR_CH_RANK_SCL, which are also defined in "Dialog_func.c", currently at lines 87 and 88.
Thanks, will check this.

Btw, is there any way the default "boarding" decks could use the actual ship model? In theory, it feels to me that this should be possible.

Back