• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Ship Category Name Corrections in the Common.ini

TheBlackKnight

Corsaire Flibustier
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
All,

Just a question regarding ship category descriptions names found in the common.ini file located in resource/INI/texts/russian. Somewhat technical question.

I added back most of the GOF ships that were commented out in the shiputilties.c using the ERAS MOD before I started a new game as I like more variety. As I played, I noticed all the NULL ship descriptions that were still around even when I was using the GOF 1.2 and 2.0 MODs when encountering the ships in game.

So, I began a quest to find and fix them all using historical categories (heavy brig, brig-sloop, snow brig, frigate, and proper classes, etc) in the common.ini along with ship descriptions that were never included in some of them including quest ships in the shipdescribe.txt.

Then, I noticed a program anomaly.

If a ship type does not start with an alphabetic letter for example 32GunFrigate (ship.h and ship_ini.c) the common.ini will not recognize the ship and use NULL for the type in game.

Specifically these lines for example (this is for the sea wolf which corrects fine):

string = BrigSW,"Heavy Brig"
string = BrigSWGen,"Heavy Brig"
string = BrigSWAcc,"Heavy Brig"
string = BrigSWDat,"Heavy Brig"

Does anyone know a fix or work around for this anomaly?
(Other than renaming the ship, model, and texture folders which requires a new game)

Every other ship with alphabetic name works perfectly and ship descriptions work fine as well.

UPDATE

I finally figured out what was going wrong with the updated category ship names.

I thought I had properly aligned the listing of the categories of the ships with the names.

After close inspection realized that several ships in the common.ini were out of order from the ship listing in ship_ini.c and ship.h file.

Once this was fixed and matched the game recognizes the proper categories for every ship, even quest ships.

No more NULL categories.
The game is much more immersive with the spyglass.
HUZZAH!

Bottom line: Cross check everything.

However, there still is an anomaly which is unfixable.

Some ships that were commented out, were commented out for a reason other than being "out of period".

Increasing the number of ships in game (over 200 now in my installation) does make the game more unstable meaning the game starts crashing after an hour or so.

Last edited:
Back