• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Images

I uploaded pics of every ship to the FTP, it is all under ship pics. They are in tga format. If anyone wants to look through them and give comments, they are welcome to do so. It is going to be a very long time before I can get them all into icons and into the interface. It was several hours just snapping the pics, and some of them I will need to do over because I forgot to press F9 and take off all the stuff on the screen. If someone is interested in posting them to the wiki, they can do that, but I'm guessing they will have to be changed to .jpg files.

On a sidenote, it is rather frustrating how many ships do not have the proper collision detection. Is there anyone currently working on that? It seems that having a good 20% of the ships that are virtually unusable should be something we should be focusing on. Some of them are really cool ships. Do you need Maya to do it or can you use something like the freeware Blender to do it? I would be willing to try to learn it if I was able to get my hands on the programs that are needed. Is there a tutorial on it somewhere?

Lastly, Pieter on your site with all the shots of the ships, it looks like some of them are different than what is in the game. The Manofwar3 for instance looks like a plain English warship currently rather than the ship with the fancy wreaths and such around the gunports that you have on your site. Lineship5 also looks quite different. Were some of the ships changed/lost in the Build 14?

Whew, I just wrote a book. Sorry about all that! :shrug

I uploaded pics of every ship to the FTP, it is all under ship pics. They are in tga format. If anyone wants to look through them and give comments, they are welcome to do so. It is going to be a very long time before I can get them all into icons and into the interface. It was several hours just snapping the pics, and some of them I will need to do over because I forgot to press F9 and take off all the stuff on the screen. If someone is interested in posting them to the wiki, they can do that, but I'm guessing they will have to be changed to .jpg files.
That's brilliant; thank you very much! I'm downloading them all now. :doff

On a sidenote, it is rather frustrating how many ships do not have the proper collision detection. Is there anyone currently working on that? It seems that having a good 20% of the ships that are virtually unusable should be something we should be focusing on. Some of them are really cool ships. Do you need Maya to do it or can you use something like the freeware Blender to do it? I would be willing to try to learn it if I was able to get my hands on the programs that are needed. Is there a tutorial on it somewhere?
What would need to be done for those ships is to be re-exported in Maya; that'll solve the collision detection.
Nobody is working on it at the moment and there's no proper tutorial available either.
We do have Maya available on the FTP if you want to give it a try; maybe we can convince a modeler to help with this.

Lastly, Pieter on your site with all the shots of the ships, it looks like some of them are different than what is in the game. The Manofwar3 for instance looks like a plain English warship currently rather than the ship with the fancy wreaths and such around the gunports that you have on your site. Lineship5 also looks quite different. Were some of the ships changed/lost in the Build 14?
Those two ships came straight out of AoP; the ones currently in the Build have had their skins modified.
We had decided at some point to not put unmodified ships into PotC. :shrug

Build 14 Alpha 9.5 Patch 4 has the Different Flags mod included and that should work pretty stably.
yes.gif

For making screenshots of all ships, you might want to coordinate with Doober.
As per his Historical Ships mod thread, he'll probably be working on this too.
If you split the work, it won't be such a huge project for you.
doff.gif

Ok then Ill do that. Cheers Pieter you realy are a swell guy!
danse1.gif

Skye

This is what Doober has already done: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/build/Ship%20Pics/
Probably a bunch need to be redone, because the interface still appears on some images.

This is what Doober has already done: http://www.pyratesah...ld/Ship%20Pics/
Probably a bunch need to be redone, because the interface still appears on some images.

Cheers again, and sorry if I was a little vague with my replies; for some reason only two of your posts showed up on my screen
rolleyes.gif
so cheers for everything youv'e done Doober
wink.gif

Pieter said:
We had decided at some point to not put unmodified ships into PotC

Pieter, I recall talking to you before about this ship. Is there no chance at all of her being in the final build?
keith.gif

Pieter said:
Personally I would've been inclined to make each screenshot a bit artistic with nice weather and background and flags sometimes,
but indeed that might not be quite practical for comparison purposes by the player.

Same here; show each ship's characteristics off, ie, a frigate skirmishing or a merchant in port or a manowar in a large battle. Although I do agree that consistancy would help the images to be understood and, as Doober said, certain weather may 'hide' parts of the ship which is less than ideal ;) Ill check out Doober's images. :)

Skye

Pieter, I recall talking to you before about this ship. Is there no chance at all of her being in the final build?
keith.gif
We could reconsider and put her in anyway, but I'm becoming rather reluctant in putting much more ships in.
The Build download size is becoming sheer ridiculous. :facepalm

keith.gif
We could reconsider and put her in anyway, but I'm becoming rather reluctant in putting much more ships in.
The Build download size is becoming sheer ridiculous. :facepalm

I understand; what is it now in total for an installed game? over a couple of gig isn't it. :modding I would be in your DEBT tho if you did, Pieter :D. I mean I'd offer to modify her then it wuldnt just be another ship from another game, as you said earlier you were trying to cut down on, but Im not the strongest modelar in the world :ixi

Skye

Hmm... we could just stick the old skins in maybe?
I don't particularly want to add in more ships than we have now.
In fact, I might almost consider taking some stuff out, just to decrease the size.
The full Build mod installed size is now almost 7 GB.
But we probably won't be doing that any time soon. :shrug

In any case, you can always take the old files from an older Build Alpha. :rolleyes:

I think I missed something here. Which ship do you want in DJ?

I do agree that some ships should be taken out, with all the corvettes (now light frigates) and frigates, they get generated all too often even though they should be just because of the number of models. Also, I don't mean to offend any skinners, but some of the skins are really not what I would consider high quality. There are also duplicates of some skins, the war schooner skin is used on 4 different ships I think. It's a nice skin, but it is a little silly to see the same skin over and over.

We might indeed want to consider if there's some ships we could drop from the Build.
I know there's some ships that use the same hull (AND skin), but have different rigging.
Personally I don't much care for different rigging; a ship needs a different texture at the very least.
Different rigging is a bonus.

I think Dj Admiral was referring to the same ships you were, the ones taken from AoP:
Manowar3, if I recall.

Maybe we could plan a separate download for "those droppen off ships"?!

True; that'd be preferrable over dropping them completely.
However, seperate downloads need to be kept up-to-date with recent modifications to the main code,
which is really annoying. Unless it's only an additional download for Build 14 Final.
But that isn't going to decrease download size any time soon,
because as good as we're doing, Build 14 isn't done yet.

Maybe we can keep it as a WIP on the FTP and release them with the final version?! It would bring less problems than a public file?

Hmm... I suppose we'll just keep everything in for the time being, just to prevent stuff-ups with multiple files. :facepalm

Oh, I see, I did really like the original Manowar3 from AOP, but I also really like the reskin, so I can't complain. I don't sail with class one ships much to begin with so it's not a huge deal for me personally either way.

Now that the names and classifications have been redone, I think it would be safe to at least take out the schooner duplications of the war schooner skin. I think there are like 3 schooners that use that skin and with the historical mod, they are practically the same ship, with perhaps a very minor change in speed between all of them, certainly not anything that would justify keeping all of them in.

Which models are those exactly and which would you suggest dropping?
I'm also thinking: we could keep the rigging-different ships if somebody'd make a new skin for them.
Which reminds me... you yourself had also done a bunch of new ship skins,
which we still might want to consider including. :?

Back