• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Ship speed for tactical battles

ihuedge

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Hi

Is there some kind of speed multiplier for dynamic and tactical battle settings?
I really like playing with tactical battles, but ships seems to be a bit too slow for my taste (especially if you like to direct sail).

Well... Im with you, idk either but ill keep on search for it, if i find something ill tell ya

Bump.
Well, so far only solution i found is to change speed rates for all ships in Ship_init.c, but that is not what i was looking for.

Bump.
Well, so far only solution i found is to change speed rates for all ships in Ship_init.c, but that is not what i was looking for.

I think that is your only solution frankly.

Keep in mind that the numbers we entered are different than vanilla - but not much. We wanted more variance to give advantage to ships that were truly faster. Barques are slow. Galleons are slow. Corvettes, brigantines, and schooners are faster.

As it is we discussed making them all even slower to bring more realism into the game. We decided against it simply because its a game and we thought slowing the ships more would take away from the fun factor.

Now, I notice you talked about the speed multiplier. I would like that to be boosted as well. On land we can go 3x faster than normal speed. At sea we can go 8x faster. If I knew how to boost it even more like in POTC I would.

POTC can go 24x faster if memory serves. Is that what you want? If so we might be able to look into this some more as it may be possible.

One warning here though is that I notice that 90 percent of my crashes (including dis-masting crashes) in battles occur when I multiply speed. It may be worse if we figure out how to push up the max X.

MK

I think that is your only solution frankly.
Now, I notice you talked about the speed multiplier. I would like that to be boosted as well. On land we can go 3x faster than normal speed. At sea we can go 8x faster. If I knew how to boost it even more like in POTC I would.

POTC can go 24x faster if memory serves. Is that what you want? If so we might be able to look into this some more as it may be possible.

Nah, i had in mind speed multiplier for ships.

The ships speeds are different making ships more unique and taking into account the ship disign and sail type. We went for a ballance, as MK said we wanted to ake the speeds more realistic, by reducing them even more. But imagine i give you the fastest ship, that automatically messes up the speed upgrade you can have done. So that feature is now a pointless one to have since your ship is already faster than any other ship in the game, i give you the slowest ship (one that you love) your more likely to spend some money on upgrades for her. Making the pirate upgrades an important feature to have ingame.

You see when changing something you must take into accopunt all things that effect it, reduce the ships speed means slower naval engagements. Increase the speeds and faster naval engagements but at the risk of loosing an important feature. If you wish to upgrade the ships speeds and not bothered about the pirate upgrade then the file ships_init.c is the only way to do it. Once you have edited the speeds, you'll need to use the reinit function and then the ship(s) you own will need to be replaced with the up to date ships because they do not get updated after using the reinit function.

Bump.
I found what i was looking for. In AIShip.c there is section for applying arcade/tactical settings for game.

Code:
// Apply arcade mode
    if (iArcadeSails == 1)
    {
        //arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ = 6.0 * stf(arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ);
        arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ = (2.5 * stf(arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ));
        arCharShip.MaxSpeedY = (2.0 * stf(arCharShip.MaxSpeedY));
    }
    else
    {
        //arCharShip.MaxSpeedY = 0.75 * stf(arCharShip.MaxSpeedY);
        arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ = (1.0 * stf(arCharShip.MaxSpeedZ));
    }

MaxSpeedZ is a multiplier for speed of all ships in sea/battle mode.

I have actually seen that before. I've never touched it because I always assumed because it was "Z", that it governed how fast ships sink. I could obviously be wrong though.

BTW one observation I've had in crashing battles (especially on saves) is that your masts are worth weight and when you lose one - your ship pops up a little....that sudden jerk upwards often crashes the game when you have many ships losing masts. I always wished we could find the numbers that assigned weight to masts and just zero it out so that we would never have that up/down shift in position that the game does not seem to like very much.

MK

BTW one observation I've had in crashing battles (especially on saves) is that your masts are worth weight and when you lose one - your ship pops up a little....that sudden jerk upwards often crashes the game when you have many ships losing masts. I always wished we could find the numbers that assigned weight to masts and just zero it out so that we would never have that up/down shift in position that the game does not seem to like very much.
It does that in CoAS? Wow. Pretty sure PotC didn't have that. Indeed I don't quite see the need for something like that either. Just complicates things.

May I ask a stupid question about why someone who plays tactical, has to speed up the game during battles It seems to me they feel it`s going too slow somethimes

Not the game, just speed of ships. I really liked all aspects of tactical settings apart from speed of ships at sea, as you can see in my previous post there are different speed multipliers for ships for each game setting (1x for tactical and 2.5x for arcade mode), for me personally 1.8x suits my taste.

No, multiplier applies to all ships in game (player's and NPC's also), and that was my intention.

Back