• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug Sir Richard Dutton, attacked while in conversation

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
I was running around Sao Jorge (the portugeese town in the far southeast), and while talking to a townwoman a bandit walked up, killed her with a few swipes, and then killed me (I was slow on exiting the conversation, it all happened while I was still in the dialogue menu). Not sure if they are supposed to be able to attack while you are talking.

After dying it froze on my dead body (even though I have it set to revive me at an inn with 100 percent chance), and a message displayed in the topleft, when I press F1, saying "you cannot save or load untl sir richard dutton leaves"

I tried to post the saved game, but it said invalid extension type here.

Beta 4.1, July 28th edition.

EDIT: Just died again at the docks of same city, same error saying can't save or reload until sir richard dutton leaves, and my body just sits there.

Do you think my game is corrupted and I should start again? I'm close to the beginning anyway, or will the problem resolve later as I move around the world?

Last edited:
Ok, dropping it in a rar worked. Here is the save.

Attachments

• -=Player=- La Grenade.rar
    473.3 KB · Views: 106
Tested and death seems to work fine if I travel to another island, but anywhere on the starting island I get the error. Same if I leave the island and come back in a week. I guess something is broken in the save?

Also, tangential question, is it normal for me to be able to access the map and sail in mapmode without a compass or any additional tools? It shows me a compass when I do so, even though I don't have one. I am on realistic, and I thought there was some initial difficulty in navigation, and something about not being able to know your position, until you got certain tools. Or is that only optional if I restrict myself to direct sail?

Last edited:
Thanks for the save. This sounds like a really weird error indeed.
I won't be able to check it out for at least two weeks, but it's on the Bug Tracker so I'll look into it when I can.

As for the navigation tools, that applies only for DirectSail and the map interface.
The worldmap remains available. If you switch to Iron Man Game Mode though, then the worldmap is completely disabled.

Pieter,

Thanks so much! I'll just restart then, I'm close to the beginning. I did try another character start and sailed to the same town, and could die normally, so although the error is limited to the town in my save, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the town in general. Maybe it had somethig to do with the castaway start?

One final unrelated suggestion: perhaps the castaway start should have a unit of food on the lifeboat. One time I found my ship and started to sail it to the nearby town, and my 1 sailor instantly died of starvation. It is a bit odd, that now my first step is instead to go find the town, have my sailors load food on the boat, and only then find the boat.

Not likely to be related to the Castaway start.
I really have no clue what this is. But I've seen Richard Dutton's name pop up in the craziest places.
Usually it means something proper strange is happening as he has no business to even exist.

normally I believe a character should be set imortal when in dialog. I might be able to look into this later this week

I added code already years ago to prevent enemies from drawing their weapons during a dialog.
Doesn't prevent them from hacking away at you if they drew their weapon before the dialog started though.

If they attacked random town folk, I think the AI groups got confused.
That definitely still happens.

I could have been in the way, as the conversation was on a staircase and the bandit might have been blocked by my AI conversation partner and trying to cut to me.

Sometimes I have seen the bounty hunters that appear when you enter a new scene start hacking at me before I close their opening dialogue, though it doesn't matter much.

I tried an earlier save back then, and the "wait until dutton leaves" bug on death would occur before I was in that encounter, and generally when I died anywhere on that island it seemed.

Very definitely a bug.

Sir Richard Dutton showing up anywhere is generally not good at all.

I was curious about what might happen if a castaway started on cozumel and died (what with no tavern), and sure enough:

"You must wait until Sir Richard Dutton leaves"

Seems like whatever was happening on sao jorge in that saved game is happening on cozumel, so maybe it was a problem with not having a valid tavern to ressurect in?

Here is the error log from cozumel

RUNTIME ERROR - file: Loc_ai\LAi_events.c; line: 2626
Using reference variable without initializing
null ap
null ap
no rAP data
RUNTIME ERROR - file: quests\quests_common.c; line: 3818
missed attribute: id
RUNTIME ERROR - file: quests\quests_common.c; line: 3818
no rAP data
RUNTIME ERROR - file: quests\quests_common.c; line: 3828
missed attribute: resurrection
null ap
no rAP data
RUNTIME ERROR - file: quests\quests_common.c; line: 3830
null ap
no rAP data
RUNTIME ERROR - file: quests\quests_common.c; line: 3832
null ap
no rAP data
RUNTIME ERROR - file: quests\quests_common.c; line: 3834
null ap
no rAP data
Missed array index

EDIT:
Was experimenting further and was able to get a similar bug to trigger with a start on bonaire, this time with "cannot save until Rosalie Bezace leaves" as the text when you press f1 on death. similar error log

null ap
no rAP data
null ap
no rAP data
null ap
no rAP data
null ap
no rAP data
Missed array index

Last edited:
If I recall, there is code in place put you at Speightstown if you die on an island without a Tavern.
Sounds like something is failing.

Back