• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

some additional key mapping

morgan terror

Magnificent bastard
Storm Modder
Public Relations
i have two little peeves since the controls were reconfigured.

1- you dialogue screen selection changed from up down to W and S. i'd like to be able to change this back, since the W and S are really counter-intuitive to me as it is. this is currently impossible.
2- one that's been present for quite a while: the menu button changed from esc to F1. now, consider this: what's more pratical? tapping esc twice to exit a menu and go to the main menu in one go, or having to switch keys? esc is used for exiting any menu, but no longer used for exiting the game. this strikes me as rather wierd, though i'd imagine it was changed in the first place to account for the character screen being F2. this is also impossible to change.

so yeah, any way to fix this?

1. You can change that one in PROGRAM\CONTROLS\DefaultControls.h; change it there and reset the controls to default.
I changed it because the Up and Down Arrow keys aren't really used in the game and W and S are, so I changed it to prevent you from having to move your hands all the time.
Personally, I'm still not used to the change either though.

2. One of the first mods I ever did was to try and re-enable the Esc button like in the European release of the game.
However, I ran into some stuff (don't remember) that prevented me from including it.

i think the arrow keys work better for me because i use the mouse for walking, placing my hand closer to them. otherwise i just have to keep switching my hand's position between moving my character and aiming my character's walking direction (it allows me to use my interacting and swordfighting hand more effectively), which is just irritating. also, the mousekeys ARE used for walking back and forth anywhere else than on land, which strikes me as rather bizarre.

anyway, i changed some stuff around. i think it works now.

now that i think of it: there's a bug which places all the crew money into your character's personal money stash. i've yet to find the cause, but it might have to do with buying ship upgrades. i'll have to look into it more. it might even have something to do with the autohire crew mod, since i turned it off.

uh, guess what? remapping F1 to esc works perfectly fine.

EDIT: ah, i see what's wrong. you can't exit the little enter menu when it's mapped to escape. odd.

On the subject of controls, if you or anybody else has any thoughts on assigning any controls more sensibly, please let me know.
The current set works, but I'll be the last person to claim it makes sense, let alone be... intuitive. :shock

well, i really just prefer the stock settings above the ones you get in the modpack, but that's because i've played it so long that those settings have been chiseled into my brain.

Back