• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Some minor typos

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
The book "cooking with albatross" uses the word "loose" when it means "lose"

When talking to people in town (the kind that are persistent, and you can ask about specific rumors, locations, etc), their opening dialogue (at least in french towns) for some of them is missing a space, and for another has an extra space, around the player name.

The book "cooking with albatross" uses the word "loose" when it means "lose"

When talking to people in town (the kind that are persistent, and you can ask about specific rumors, locations, etc), their opening dialogue (at least in french towns) for some of them is missing a space, and for another has an extra space, around the player name.
isn't the first thing a difference between british and american?

No, in both British and American English, loose means something is not tight, or as a verb to untie or loosen something, while lose is the verb for something being taken away.

Here is a link to the oxford dictionaries section:

‘Loose’ or ‘lose’? - Oxford Dictionaries

When loose is used as a verb, it means to set something free or untie something, but that is a very different meaning than for something to be lost. You would only use it in a sentence like "loose the hounds!" meaning to set dogs free to chase something. Very different meaning than to "lose a dog", which is of course is a very sad thing, because then the dog is lost. ;)

Using "loose" in place of "lose" is extremely common on the internet, but is always incorrect, in either british or american english.

I have seen people claim otherwise, but checking dictionaries from both sides of the ocean confirms there is no basis. In addition, language authorities from both Britain and America constantly write blog entries advising people of this as an error.

Last edited:
If you know the exact text where the error is, you can use the Windows Search Index to find where they is located in the code.
These are generally very easy corrections to make and you'd be very welcome to try doing them yourself.
You could become a Storm Modder then too!

Maybe @Levis or @Grey Roger can post a link to the tread I'm referring to?
I don't have time to look it up myself, but it's under Brainstorming>Tutorials.

Pieter,

I'll find the tutorial on my own, and try my hand at posting corrected versions here tomorrow. I'll be glad to make some tiny help, considering how much fun I've been having with this amazing mod you guys have made. :)

I'd certainly appreciate that! I hate such stupid typos and spelling errors quite a bit.

Hi Pieter,

Found another text issue--the perk "professional ship defense" in the settings file only reduces the chance to be critically hit, rather than eliminates it, but the perk description was never updated from stock POTC. So I updated that as well to now say it reduces the chance, rather than eliminates it:

ShipDefenceProfessional {Professional Ship defence}
perkShipDefenceProfessional
{
The character's ship takes 40% less damage from enemy fire and has a drastically reduced chance to be critically hit.

Updated file attached.

As for the Port Au Prince dialogue, I added a space to this line below

previous: "Hello, captain",
fixed: "Hello, captain ",

Updated file attached.

As for the albatross book text, I couldn't find it anywhere. Ran several index searches, scanned through file after file for all mentions of "loose," but no luck. Not sure where I was going wrong, I also found the folder where many of the skillbooks contents was, but still no luck! :)

Attachments

• AbilityDescribe.txt
    12.2 KB · Views: 125
  • PoPrince citizen_dialog.h
    9 KB · Views: 101
Books should be located in the resource folder. If you go to the place where AbilityDescribe is located you will find a folder called Books. In there are the texts for the different books.
Altough there are a few books which use a texture instead of text, if this is the case it needs to be changed in the texture.

Ah, that must explain it! I think it is a texture--it looks all fancy in game, like a picture of an old musty book, and it isn't one of the normal scrollable text ones.

No wonder text searching didn't work. I did check the book folder as well.

Thanks Levis! :)

Back