• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

special Dutch galleon

Takeda-One

Prussian Corsair
Storm Modder
What nice kind of a galleon is this? Would be nice to have such one aswell...

Mauritius_-_Detail_uit_Het_uitzeilen_van_een_aantal_Oost-Indievaarders_van_Hendrick_Cornelisz_Vroom_%281600%29.jpg

771px-Vroom_Hendrick_Cornelisz_Dutch_Ships_Ramming_Spanish_Galleys_off_the_Flemish_Coast_in_October_1602.jpg

dont want to be picky but it seems the ships in the paintings are different

a galeon on the first and a fleut on the second

take a look a theirs balconys the galeon has a covered one while the fleut dosent

Mates, The first painting depicts a Dutch Galleon of about 1595-1615. One destinctive thing to notice in marine art of the time is the colors. Dyers were not able to get a consistent red on flags during the last half of the 1500s and first quarter of the 1600's unless they were brand new. You will notice that depictions of this era show the tri color with a much more orange tint that later. In the next painting you can see the Admiral's battle flag on the taffrail has a slightly redder tint denoting it hasn't been in the weather as much.

The second painting depicts the Dutch Galleon "Maen" destroying the Spanish Galley "Padilla" off the Flemish coast in 1602. Spain made several attempts to send the light swift galleys from the Med to the Channel, but the tender lightly armed craft were never a match for the much heavier armed Galleons. Dutch naval power dominated the Spanish during those times with several daring raids made on Spain, the most famous being the destruction of the "Second Spanish Armada" at Cadiz and Heemskerck's famous victory over a large Spanish fleet at Gibralter in 1607, disabling or sinking 14 (mostly larger) Spanish Galleons/Carracks.

The primary difference between the Galleon and Fluyt is the back end. Fluyts had a distinctly rounded bottom aft, while Galleons always had a flattened, notched surface that rose into the rear balconies/galleries. Also I have only seen one example in marine painting where a fluyt had a balcony. Fluyts were ships of trade and generally only had a couple windows on the sides and almost never in the rear. One other distinction is that Fluyts rarely carried more than six or eight guns generally set below on the main deck towards the rear of the ship on either side. Rarely would you see any large ordinance carried forward other than swivel guns on the fo'cstle. Also they generally did not have a beak head. They were built primarily for the herring, timber, and whaling industries.

Both paintings clearly depict large well equipped Dutch built warships (Galleons) of the turn of the 16th/17th centuries.

MK

Your words in the lords ears, mate. I've found out the first one is the Mauritius form 160? 7 or 9, i don't remember. I can't find any plans otherwise a maya/3DS-Max pro would have a new project.

The plans for the "Roter Lowe" (if I'm not mistaken a Dutch built warship/galleon commisioned by the Margrave of Brandenburg???) are available (I have a copy). The Roter Lowe is the same class and of a very similar build/design to both of the ships depicted in the paintings.

MK

OK Mates, I was trying to find a set of online plans of the Roter Lowe before I scanned mine for ye swabs. What I happened onto was a thread from POTBS. They have a modding community as well and I found these beautifully rendered pics of the Roter Lowe that a modder named Sisko2000 had made. This is really nice work. Anyone know anyone over there that we might be able to sweet talk getting this model? As I said very similar to those in the paintings. :will

MK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/4516328675/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/4516328683/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/4516328679/

http://archive.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18931&highlight=roter+l%F6we

The "Roter Löwe" is a truly beautiful ship and could be one of the galleons. :onya

Roterl05_low.GIF

Back