• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Spelling of Complex Characters (ç, ã, í, etc.)

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
In most interfaces, texts like "Capitão Tenente" display properly, but not in all.
I know that to get the "ã" character to show properly, you often have to type "Ý" instead.
However, in this case that doesn't work:
upload_2015-7-24_18-22-54.png

For ç, í and ã I don't know what characters are supposed to be used at all.

This means that I have no clue how to get the CORRECT Portuguese spellings in the game.
While we can of course simplify it by not using the complex characters, that doesn't help with the unique atmosphere of that particular nation.

Not a huge priority, but it is wrong and I wouldn't mind seeing it fixed. :wp

I usually use accessories/system tools/character map to get any unusual characters -they seem to be fairly robust in their interpretation afterwards thus ã acquired that way and put into NK.c produces the following
upload_2015-7-24_20-52-12.png

Into NK.c??? But the nation rank names are in nations.c??? Now I'm confused...

If this works, do you think you could apply the same trick to the other Spanish and Portuguese rank titles so they look good again?

Into NK.c??? But the nation rank names are in nations.c??? Now I'm confused...
and so am I - I only altered that first rank but going back to the save and promoting again the next ones show up OK too. So it's my version which is OK not what I did -why would it be what I thought I did was in the wrong file (where they are just headers for promotions) I didn't look before I tried before presuming it was broken as you showed. I am behind being on 16th July plus zip 18th - so I'll catch up to date first and see if that breaks it and then try my suggestion.

If this works, do you think you could apply the same trick to the other Spanish and Portuguese rank titles so they look good again?
If it works big IF maybe. Another false hope maybe

and so am I - I only altered that first rank but going back to the save and promoting again the next ones show up OK too. So it's my version which is OK not what I did -why would it be what I thought I did was in the wrong file (where they are just headers for promotions) I didn't look before I tried before presuming it was broken as you showed. I am behind being on 16th July plus zip 18th - so I'll catch up to date first and see if that breaks it and then try my suggestion.
Hum.... Could it possibly have been OK in an older version?
While I did rewrite the related code, I cannot remember when I did that and I thought I noticed it NOT working before I changed things.

If it works big IF maybe. Another false hope maybe
At least you have a screenshot worth of proof that something CAN work, at least.

Well I made a copy (of 16th July exe unpacked version) and added the latest 22 july zip and my Portugese ranks show correctly in relations interface without any changes by me.Weird or what?

Build 14 Beta 3.5 WIP: 16 Jul 2015. as echoed in compile log

I took my external hard drive (where my POTC modded versions sit) from its comfortable win7 to a windows 8 machine -same result a new game Portugese naval officer with cheat promotions displays the ã in relations interface. Perhaps would be good to check who else has the problem?

Not my area at all but I wonder if something happened to change your windows configuration for character sets in some way - depends when you first noticed it not working I suppose.

While that is a slightly older game version, it should still already include my rewrites because I did that on Jul 1.
I wouldn't expect Windows to have anything to do with it as PotC has its own set of font textures.

Looking into this a bit further, I think it might be that it is WRONG in this interface:
upload_2015-7-25_11-33-34.png

But OK in this one:
upload_2015-7-25_11-33-51.png

Note the missing "-" in the first one. That would make it a specific font problem.

Yep, that's it; the title interface font doesn't have the special characters defined, but the normal interface font does. :facepalm

upload_2015-7-25_11-39-41.png

And "ã" needs to be written as "Ý" to make it show up properly under "Nations Relations" too. :facepalm

The font used is "INTERFACE_TITLE" as defined in fonts.ini and actually does have most of these complex characters in there.
The only thing truly missing is the "-" one.

While I did figure something out, the "ç" and "ã" are ridiculously complicated to get right.
What the HECK??? One minute they are shown as "Ý" but sometimes as "ÝÝ" (yes, TWO characters for the price of one).
Except when they're not. :modding

I think I managed to get something working. ALL the nation rank names now show properly as title AND in the Nations Relations Interface!

The complex characters weren't part of the English "lower to upper" function, so that had to be added.
Then "-" is now display in capitals as " " (=space) because the title interface font doesn't actually have a dash to use.
The "ã" was holy crap tricky, but it finally displays in the interfaces titles too.

Just DON'T try to use a "ç" or "Ç" in an interface title, because despite trying, I haven't the foggiest idea how to make that work for real.
I don't think there ARE any interface title texts that might use that, so this is a hypothetical problem only that I am going to happily ignore for now. :cheeky

Back