• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Standard governor dialog takes precedence over governor's own dialog

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Here's a screenshot of me talking to the governor of Cayman, Edmund Christobel Shaw:
shaw_dialog.jpg
He's supposed to lead with the start line for the quest to find his daughter, which would be "Well, I have a mission if you are interested." Instead he leads with the generic governor line about hostiles. You, however, have the option to ask about the quest, using the line "Maybe. What is it exactly?" which would be your reply to his line about a mission if you are interested.

I would guess that any other governor who has a specific lead-in line to a quest won't use it either, but will always lead with the generic line about hostiles and possibly the bit about smugglers. (The latter appears to be conditional on you being in his nation's service, which in the above case I'm not.)

This is in the governor's own line of text? The player response is fine, right?

I can imagine this might happen, but I cannot think of a simple solution.
Either the specific side quest dialog won't make sense in the context or the generic one doesn't.

It would be easiest if the player answer were to contain all information to start the quest.
Or have the side quest use a different branch of the dialog.

To get the generic and specific side quest lead ins in the same line would require some creative merging of those separate dialog files.

This is in the governor's own line of text? The player response is fine, right?

I can imagine this might happen, but I cannot think of a simple solution.
Either the specific side quest dialog won't make sense in the context or the generic one doesn't.

It would be easiest if the player answer were to contain all information to start the quest.
Or have the side quest use a different branch of the dialog.

To get the generic and specific side quest lead ins in the same line would require some creative merging of those separate dialog files.
the dialog system now only merges the options you have together.
It would be able to merge the dialog text together also if needed ...

How would that work? Would you get the governor-specific and generic lines showing after each other?
How would you ensure that ends up making sense?

How would that work? Would you get the governor-specific and generic lines showing after each other?
How would you ensure that ends up making sense?
you would have to make sure in your dialog files. but it might help ...

If only specific lines could be shown in addition to the default line, that might just work. :onya

If only specific lines could be shown in addition to the default line, that might just work. :onya
I can make that work. probably could make it the same as with dialog options. You can either add a line to it or overwrite the dialog completly.
For example if in the subdialog file you do it like this:
d.Text = 'text';
it will overwrite the text from the main dialog file.
If you do something like this:
d.Add = 'text'; it will add the text to it.

Would that work?

Back