• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Starting on Modding

Lone Fennec

Powder Monkey
Hi everyone!
Don't want to start a new thread for this so I'll just ask here, sorry if it's the wrong place.
Are the tutorials in the tutorial section of modding up to date? or are there better ones? tried to start learning today how to start my first baby step in POTC but found out it doesn't work, tried the first part where it says add this to console.c and then test it out by pressing F12
Code:
logit(“Hello World”);
This is thing to most of you here but a baby need to learn how to crawl before it can think of walking :rofl

That line should indeed work. Place it before the "switch".
I tried, it doesn't' work. I also tried this, in game it just pause for a sec and then continue without showing anything.
Code:
void ExecuteConsole()
{
   ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
   ref ch;
   int i;
   int limit;

string text = “Hello World”;
    logit(text);
                                           // Case 0 = Enable reload (useful when you get stuck on boarding) + Set player type (if you cannot move anymore)
   switch(0)                               // Case 1 = Various test and cheat codes
   {                                       // Case 2 = Location coordinate information
       case 1:                               // Case 3 = Automatic instant cheats in port
                                           // Case 4 = Instant teleport to Hendrick Vanderdecken

I tested it and finally saw it. It should not be
Code:
logit(“Hello World”);
but
Code:
logit("Hello World");

those above the 2 on my keyboard

@Imad The Conqueror There's probably a file "error.log". If you upload that, we can probably figure out what is wrong.

Learning to read "error.log" is a useful exercise, so in a way it's a good thing that this didn't work. You will make more mistakes if you continue modding, as will any other modder - I've certainly made plenty! When something doesn't work, the log files are your clues as to why it didn't work. Understanding them is therefore very important, so this is your chance to start.

(Edit: @Jack Rackham already solved this problem while I was typing that. It's still worth looking at "error.log" to see what it says about the problem.)

Don't want to start a new thread for this
A new thread is certainly appropriate though.
So I did it for you instead. ;)

Are the tutorials in the tutorial section of modding up to date?
No, they're not.
Though they still have plenty of value.

or are there better ones?
No, there aren't.
The ones you see are the best we've got.

This is a good place to start and it still holds true:
Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks

Back