• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Storms in CMv3

modernknight1

Field Marshall of Hot Tubs
Staff member
Storm Modder
Did you guys dial down the storms in CMv3? I have yet to experience a real blow. Every storm I've encountered has been very mild with low swells - what I'd call fair wind weather with rain added. I miss the really big storms. They are spectacular and I often enjoy getting screenshots of them. I did not go check the code yet, but is there a set of graduated extremes randomizer numbers somewhere in there so we can still run into a big one every so often?

Maybe I just have been really lucky, but I don't think so. :shrug

MK

I'm not sure to be honest. I know we were thinking about changing the wave heights to something more realistic to the Caribbean but I don't know if we ever got around to it.

I haven't changed the storm code but i edited and continue to edit the waves.

How are you editing them Luke? Bigger or smaller? Where is it at in the code? :shrug You know how I am, thinking way too much like I do, it would be really neat to have different wave heights in different areas and consistent winds as well in places. Some of the islands in the far end of the VI and northern lesser Antilles are almost impossible to approach from the western side. During late July to November you could have 5 to 15 foot swells in the Florida channels between the Keys south and the Bahamas west. When the storms came in those areas they could be packing major power with 20 to 50 foot swells. There are other places on the Mexican and Brazilian coast that are generally pretty calm (with occasional exceptions) all year round. I would love that realism added. I think I'll experiment a little.

MK

In Program\Weather, the file "WhrSea" will allow you to alter the sea hight, for my editing i have bee lowering them. For wind speeds you need to look in Program\Weather\init and each of the following files. "Day" & "Evening" & "Morning" & "Night" & "Rain" and finally "Special" If you wish to edit the storm then in the same folder as the above files you need to look in "DayStorm". For example every file in Program\Weather\init apart from "DayStorm" i have set the minimum wind speed to 0.0.

Hmm this is interesting, has anyone noticed it rain in a quest?

Code:
if (bRain || CheckAttribute(pchar, "questTemp.StartRain"))
{
//÷àñ íà÷àëà...
WeatherParams.Rain.ThisDay   = true;
WeatherParams.Rain.StartTime = iHour + 2 + rand(2);
//ïðîäîëæèòåëüíîñòü â ìèíóòàõ //1 ÷àñ ìèí, èíà÷å íåáî íå óñïååò.
WeatherParams.Rain.Duration  = 60 + rand(120);

iTmp = sti(WeatherParams.Rain.StartTime);

Weathers[iTmp].Bak.Fog.Color		= Weathers[iTmp].Fog.Color;
Weathers[iTmp].Bak.Fog.Height		= Weathers[iTmp].Fog.Height;
Weathers[iTmp].Bak.Fog.Density		= Weathers[iTmp].Fog.Density;
Weathers[iTmp].Bak.Fog.SeaDensity	= Weathers[iTmp].Fog.SeaDensity;

Weathers[iTmp].Bak.Sun.Glow.Enable		= Weathers[iTmp].Sun.Glow.Enable;
Weathers[iTmp].Bak.Sun.Overflow.Enable	= Weathers[iTmp].Sun.Overflow.Enable;

Weathers[iTmp].Fog.Color = argb(0,50,60,65);
Weathers[iTmp].Fog.Height = 250;
Weathers[iTmp].Fog.Density = 0.008;
Weathers[iTmp].Fog.SeaDensity = 0.008;