• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help sword blade is upside down

WilsonRoch

Landlubber
Hey everyone, just installed the mod and decided to start a new playthrough on free mode. Everything seems to be working fine, except by the swords. Apparently all of them are upside down, the hand guard is pointing up and the blade's edge is pointing to the ground. I tested with multiple swords and models but the error persist.

I would like to know if there is any way to solve this, or maybe it's intended to be this way. Anyway, thank's for keeping up the good work on the development of this great mod!

Could you provide a screenshot to show what you mean? Press F8 to take a screenshot in game; you'll then find one or more files with names like "seadogs0.tga" in the top level of the game installation folder.

As far as I can tell, swords are the right way round. If the sword is on your belt, the hand guard should be up and the blade should be down, otherwise it would be rather difficult to draw the sword!
cortes_closeup.jpg

When you have drawn the sword for combat, the blade should be pointing at the enemy and the hand guard should be across your hand; if the sword has a basket or half loop, that should be over your fingers to prevent them from being chopped off:
cortes_sword.jpg

I wonder if anyone tried the obvious defence against that, which is to grab the handle being presented to you and then apply Zorro's principle.

Or just hold your own sword the right way round:

Possibly, it has much less mass than an actual mace or hammer.
So you could just grab it if you are fast enough.
It is a handle after all.

I don't think that this technique was used commonly.
Because a sword will aways be better suited for cutting and thrusting.
But it could have been useful rarely.

So apparently this problem is only happening with Charles De Maure. I tested with a couple of other characters and the sword seems to be in the normal position for them.

Attachments

• seadogs2_0020.tga
    7.3 MB · Views: 177
How does he look when you draw the sword?

What about his pistol - is that the right way round? Especially when he fires it?

Yep, just checked it and both Blaze and Charles de Maure have this issue.
So at least I didn't mess up something in Charles.

I will try editing their locators when I get the chance then, as @Grey Roger suggested.

I've had a go at this myself. Though there are separate "Saber_belt" and "Saber_hand" locators, changing "Saber_belt" to put the sword the right way round on the belt messes up the sword's position and movement when I draw it. I even tried copying the values for "Saber_belt" from "Espinosa.gm", another AoP import which uses the same animation.

It so happens that I have an old AoP installation on a backup disk. "Devlin.gm" in PoTC is dated 15/7/2005. In my AoP installation, it's dated 26/01/2006, possibly because that installation was updated with the official patch and the Supermod. So I tried copying the 2006 "Devlin.gm" into PoTC and it worked perfectly - the sword is the right way round on the belt, drawing the sword and doing some combat moves also displayed correctly. After that it was a simple matter to use the 2006 version as the basis for new armoured variants, plus "Sharl.gm" and all its armoured variants.

Attachments

• Devlin_Sharl.zip
    534.3 KB · Views: 134
Back