• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Sword of sir Francis Drake does not improve officer's melee

Fluen

Freebooter
I don't think it's a bug, more like a scripting error.
I gave the sword to one of my officers to improve his melee-skill, and it didn't improve. It did, when I have him a kit for sword care. Is the sword only meant to be used by the player? Or is there something wrong with the sword?

There's nothing wrong with the sword. I tried this while playing "Hoist the Colours" - Jack has his own special sword which is better, but I'd done the sidequest anyway and got Francis Drake's sword. When I gave it to Lucas da Saldanha, his "Melee" skill was boosted accordingly.

There's an absolute maximum total skill boost of +4. If your officer is already getting +4 from other sources, he won't get another boost from the sword. The blade care kit and Morgan's Almanac will also give +1, and so will a ruby and Akumalartu Figurine unless you have set ITEM_REALISM to 1 in "InternalSettings.h", disabling bonuses from gems and Indian trinkets.

The other reason the officer might not get a boost from the sword is if he already has a better sword. What was he carrying before you gave him Francis Drake's sword?

Try taking away all the officer's weapons and equipment. Check that his skills are no longer boosted. Then give him Francis Drake's sword and see what happens.

Hmmm. I'll have to check my version of InternalSettings.h and compare it to the original and also the ItemsInit-file. I didn't know about the realism setting in the internal settings, so I changed all +1 in the jewellery to 0. Maybe I changed one for the sword as well by accident.
Lucas uses the blade, he brought with him. I only gave him the sword and the blade care kit, so he shouldn't have any other boosts.

I think, it must have been a glitch of some kind. Or perhaps I managed to cause some confusion, when I edited ItemsInit. I have copied the data for jewellery from the original ItemsInit-file, activated the realistic items in InternalSettings.h and re-initialized.

I'm unable to test on Lucas, because I made him commandant of Havana's fort and have managed to delete all savegames from before the conquest. So I gave the sword to Marc Blaque, and he gets his melee skills improved as he should.

Consider the problem solved and the cause most likely a user error.

Update: found the cause. If my officer has a dragon's head sword, sir Francis Drake's sword does not have any influence on that officer's melee skills.

That would be because the officer is probably equipping the dragon's head sword instead. Swords only have their effects on skills if they're equipped. You won't get the bonus from Francis Drake's sword either if you're carrying it but have equipped a different sword.

Back