• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Swordfightning Tips

I am noticing on the forum posts that many people are having a very hard time with sword fighting. I decided to make this thread for everyone to post their tips and tricks.

There are nine things you can do in a swordfight:
1. shoot a pistol/musket: Q
2. run around/step back and to sides: W/A/S/D
3. Low Block: SPACEBAR
4. light swing: left mouse button
5. heavy attack: middle mouse button (click down mouse wheel)
6. medium attack: right mouse button
7. sweep attack (swing your sword around and hit lots of dudes in front of you): shift+left mouse button
8. step out of the way of an attack and then hit the bad guy really fast: shift+middle mouse button
9. dodge an attack: shift+right mouse button

Swordfighting is easy once you get used to dodging and blocking.
Unless you are attacking or shooting a pistol, always be holding spacebar, that way you don't have to quickly react when you see your opponent attacking and you will probably block his swing attacks. When you see your opponent put his sword behind his back and begin to swing above his head, he is beginning a heavy attack. A spacebar block will not block this. Once you see him start to do this immediately do option 8 or 9. these are the only way to block a heavy attack. If you are fighting a group, back yourself into a corner of the room or into a doorway, that way you only have to fight three at at time. If you are fighting in the open and you need a rest, simply run around for a bit until your energy comes back, but be careful, this may encourage your enemies to make use of their pistols on you.

When attacking, the most important thing is to watch your energy level
Make sure you have a weapon that is not going to drain all of your energy. The heavier the weapon, the faster it drains your energy. Although it may look cool to have a poleaxe when you are level 3, one swing will take away almost all of your energy and you will have to wait for it to come back. Better to stick with a malkus or cutlass when you are level 3.
I have found that the best swords to have are medium swords like cutlasses, sabers, the cerber, and the haudegen. The cortellas is stupid because it is too heavy and is only for looks. How you should fight depends on how many people you are fighting. If you are figting a single person, than by all means, use whatever attacks you want, because the bad guy will probably be dead before you run out of energy, unless you have that poleaxe again. When you are fighting a group, try to use attacks that will leave you with lots of energy i.e. light(4) and medium(6) attacks. Use these less potent attacks and try to focus on one person at a time, always making sure you are blocking when you are not attacking, never stand there unprotected when you are fighting a group. The sweep does damage to a lot of people, but it does not do a lot of damage to each person, and it uses a lot of energy. Only try to use it when you are surrounded by a bunch of people with very little health left.

Pistols are handy, but can be a nuissance if you don't use them right
I know some of you are jumping and excited because i mentioned muskets near the top. There is a musket mod made by a member called Back84 try and find that to figure muskets out. I only got it partially working and it is very buggy. Back to pistols. I have found that the best pistols are the mortar and Beretta, not the double an four barrelled. The mortar and beretta are good because they do enough damage to probably get a one shot kill on people. So if you are fighting a military patrol in the forest and you don't want that musketeer to shoot you you can just pop him as soon as possible and he will probably die in one shot. These pistols do take a while to reload however, and that makes them more inconvenient when you are fighting a group and that one guy with a poleaxe is blocking all of your attacks and your pistol is still reloading. I don't recommend using the double and four barrelled pistols because they do very little damage. They are best used when fighting in a group and you are surrounded by some people with very little health left, you just mop them up with your pistol while your energy is regaining.

Potions are also important in swordfightin. having the right ones can make all the difference
medical herbs: +40 health
elixir: + lots of health (I forget how much but it's lots)140?
antidote: cures poisoning, no health increase
mixture: cures poisoning, +lots of health that I forget again!
Rum!: cures poisoning, + 140 health
wine: +250 health
grapes: +25 health

When you press "x" to use a potion in a fight, it uses which ever one appears first in your inventory. If you want to know what order they are in, use this list above. If you have ever fought skeletons, CoAS crabs, or raised from the dead indian dudes in tenochtitlan, you know you can get poisoned. Use potions that cure poisoning for this. If you know you are going to be fighting a large group of people who will hit you many times, take a potion with lots of health+ while you sill have lots of your original health. That way, your health will regenerate and stay near max, instead of near minimum. To select a specific potion to use while in a fight, press enter, then select the satchel with the green up arrow, and then choose the one you want and hit enter again. When choosing a potion, consider weight, as some like rum an elixers take up lots of weight. The lightest weight for the most health and poison curing is the mixture, each unit is .2 weight, but they are expensive and hard to find. Use lots of different potions to figure out which ones you like the best, then stick with those. You will eventually find that grapes are useless, so give them to your officers with poleaxes.

Hope this helps and share your tips too! :piratesahoy! :shoot: :ixi

Back