• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Swords in POTC

Hey all. I was watching POTC the other day and I noticed something. Is it just me or does all the swords look a wee bit short? One example is Commondore Norrington's. Just seems odd. If anyone thinks so, feel free to enlighten me either way. Cya!

Archibald McNeil

It's a long time ago, since I watched the movie. But a rapier should be about 1m long, sabers and cutlass' should be shorter.

Yeah navy swords are pretty short, to be able to swing it under the decks and so it better to have something small, dirks were common too. Norringtons sword is nice, and i can imagine that his also a very skilled swords man to handle such a sword... well see soon... as he will cross blades with a pirate....

Dirks were common? I have never heard that but if that would be true, then the Scots would have really influenced the pirates.

Yeah, small daggers, from scotland and asian countries, anything u can carry comfortably, cut knots and rope with, every sailor had a small pocket knife with blade and strong pick kinda thing, its got a name i forgot, my dad has one, to undo hard knots.... ill try to find the name

A Gully was the nickname...

Yeah well it depends on the country its in, i guess scotish dirks are straight, arabian ones were curved... but esenstially they were short, a side arm.

Back