• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed "Tales of a Sea Hawk": change to cursed pirate dialog

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
You're supposed to take a chest to the tavern keeper of Port Royale, but a pair of cursed pirates get in your way. You try to fight them, but it's clear you can't harm them, and a few seconds later they give you a chance to reconsider. But the default answer is to keep fighting, so unless you're very careful, you may end up inadvertently fighting to the death, which will be yours as they're immortal.

This version of "CursedPirate_dialog.c" puts the dialog options the other way round so that the default option is to stop fighting and give them the chest. You can continue fighting if you really want, but you won't do it by accident now.

Attachments

• CursedPirate_dialog.c
    3.5 KB · Views: 116
Good idea! :onya

Though.... who in his right mind will EVER choose that other option then? :shock

My point is, in the heat of battle you might choose it without realising. It happened to me, which is why I altered the dialog code. It's the result of me setting my controls similar to the stock game, including "Space" being the attack key. But "Space" is also the key to choose a dialog line, so there's me trying to hack at the pirate in vain, he pauses for his dialog, I press "Space" once too often, and he resumes the battle...

My point is, in the heat of battle you might choose it without realising. It happened to me, which is why I altered the dialog code. It's the result of me setting my controls similar to the stock game, including "Space" being the attack key. But "Space" is also the key to choose a dialog line, so there's me trying to hack at the pirate in vain, he pauses for his dialog, I press "Space" once too often, and he resumes the battle...
I can most certainly imagina that scenario; especially since I tend to make the same change to the default controls.... :wp

All I'm wondering is what purpose can there possibly be then to having that "instant death" dialog option at all?
With the order changed, it doesn't even function anymore "just checking if you're paying attention trap", which makes it almost entirely pointless.
Still, doesn't do any harm either and I do think your change is in general a good idea. :yes

Back