• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Textures stuff

Uncatchable Joe

Landlubber
First of all, great mod and great appretiation to all who made it into reality, I was completely drown by the mere idea of this game heavily modded! Now I only regret that I didn't learn about it earlier.
By the way... :D
I'm a big fan of changing textures and something went wrong way (or not o_O). I rearranged my cap cabin and couple of tavern inns a bit and game certainly don't see that taverns textures at all now (blank) and somehow refuses to apply new textures to cabin even after F11. Oh, I didn't mention that it all persist only for current game. But what's important! Others tex changings (ships, char models, etc) are ok even in present walkthrough. So might there be a solution or these are uneditable for current saves?

Textures have nothing to do with saves or with F11.
They should be reloaded as soon as you get into a new scene.

Did you change any of the filenames?
Or perhaps use incompatible export options?
Check system.log to see if there are any textures that cannot be loaded.

I solved the problem with tavern inns, was my mistake. But not the one with the cabin. Actually, I created new cabin model folder with modified textures and assign it to my ship (and in locations init ofc), but I think that game cannot see new folder with new cab. model, so it load the default one instead(not sure though, maybe only default tex? ).

Did you use ConvertorTX to convert them?
Sure

Did you change any of the filenames?
Yes, but with the same length (only for cabin, others just replacers and work fine)

perhaps use incompatible export options?
Which options that can be? I followed guides, seems fine

Models go in "RESOURCE\MODELS", textures go in "RESOURCE\Textures". ;)

The textures for cabins are either in the base "RESOURCE\Textures" folder or in subfolder "RESOURCE\Textures\Ships".

If the game fails to find a model, it's liable to crash. If it finds the model but fails to find the texture, the model will appear a featureless grey, or fail to appear at all. Either way, check "system.log", where there should be a report about what the game didn't find.

I solved the problem with tavern inns, was my mistake. But not the one with the cabin. Actually, I created new cabin model folder with modified textures and assign it to my ship (and in locations init ofc), but I think that game cannot see new folder with new cab. model, so it load the default one instead(not sure though, maybe only default tex? ).
Did you start a new game after adding the new location in the init files?

Which options that can be? I followed guides, seems fine
I can't really remember. There was an export option in Photoshop that caused incompatibilities.
But if I recall, you would already notice that within TX Converter so it is probably not that.

Did you start a new game after adding the new location in the init files?
Yes. On NG it's all fine. The question is, could this be done without starting NG and losing all progress. There are only few cabin models folders, but some unique ships (cursed ones only I think) use different deck locations textures, right? I came to conclusion that maybe I could retexture this without new model addition at all, but I can't figure how.

It is possible to do just about anything in mid-game using the console.
See here, point #4: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks

Something that might be useful:
Code:
ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation("[location id]")];
lcn .filespath.textures = "locations\[your texture folder]";

In Reinit.c there is also a way to add a new character to an existing savegame:
Code:
    // ccc Building Kit treasure keeper
    if(GetCharacterIndex("B_keeper") == -1)
    {
        n = FindBlankCharSlot();
        CHARACTERS_QUANTITY++; // NK 05-04-05
        if(n != -1)
        {
            makeref(ch,Characters[n]);
            ch.old.name = "Ye Keeper"; // MAXIMUS 16.10.2006
            ch.old.lastname = "o' ye Hoarde"; // MAXIMUS 16.10.2006
            ch.name     = TranslateString("","Ye Keeper");
            ch.lastname     = TranslateString("","o' ye Hoarde");
            ch.id        = "B_keeper";
            ch.model    = "admiral";
            ch.sex = "man";
            ch.act.type = "citizen";
            ch.location = "none";
            ch.location.group = "goto";
            ch.location.locator = "goto1";
            ch.dialog.filename = "B_hoardkeeper.c";
            ch.nation = ENGLAND;
            ch.rank     = 1;
            ch.reputation = "None";
            ch.experience = "0";

ch.skill.Leadership = 6;
            ch.skill.Fencing = 3;
            ch.skill.Sailing = 4;
            ch.skill.Accuracy = 9;
            ch.skill.Cannons = 5;
            ch.skill.Grappling = 5;
            ch.skill.Repair = 6;
            ch.skill.Defence = 8;
            ch.skill.Commerce = 7;
            ch.skill.Sneak = 8;
            ch.money = 10;
            LAi_SetStayType(ch);
            LAi_SetHP(ch, 200.0, 200.0);
            if(show) Log_SetStringToLog(TranslateString("","BK Keeper initialised."));
        }
    }
There may be a way to do the same for locations, but this does look a bit more complicated.

ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation("[location id]")]; lcn .filespath.textures = "locations\[your texture folder]";
I need to paste this into the console with correct id, if I understand correctly, right?

Also, a minor question. Does F11 reinit leveling settings? I set skills_up_bonus to 10 before and now my fencing skill is 4 after hundreds of slayed opponents (was 3 at game start). So I begun to question myself is it normal at all.

I need to paste this into the console with correct id, if I understand correctly, right?
Yep.

Also, a minor question. Does F11 reinit leveling settings? I set skills_up_bonus to 10 before and now my fencing skill is 4 after hundreds of slayed opponents (was 3 at game start). So I begun to question myself is it normal at all.
As far as I remember, F11 does nothing with Levelling.

Another question by the way. If you choose wrong dialogue option with Santos when first met him and then will be lucky enough to survive you stuck in the tavern room after dialogue. And I'm afraid that teleport won't help, because you got killed in the middle of the quest which involve dead end situation in vanilla (Santos is invincible at that stage along with 3 of his guards). So, I cannot fight him now at all, yes? Seemed like a good fencing practice for me, a pity.

Yes, if you choose the wrong option when talking to Santos then you're supposed to be dead. Resurrection can cause all sorts of problems so I always disable it in the "Options" menu.

If you want some easy fencing practice, go into a dungeon. You'll also find a decent sword in some dungeons.

If you want some very easy fencing practice, go to your ship deck and talk to one of your crewmen.

If you want some very difficult fencing practice, go into a fort through the land entrance and talk to a soldier. Not all forts have land entrances; Speightstown and Bridgetown have them. (You can also try your luck in the Maltese Abbey in Bridgetown.)

es, if you choose the wrong option when talking to Santos then you're supposed to be dead. Resurrection can cause all sorts of problems so I always disable it in the "Options" menu.
Understood. What problems this can cause? I like the idea of this kind of event once in a game, but if that can lead to long term problems than I'll probably going to disable it too.
I captured Speightstown not long ago and didn't see any noticeable grow in fencing skill. I thought about Santos this way cause he is immortal at that point, so I can fight him as long as I'm not out of heal.
Abbey is too cool for me right now, wanted to spare such a candy for a dessert :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As you've seen, resurrecting in the middle of a quest can do odd things depending on the quest. Or you teleport to a tavern which, for one reason or another, you should not be able to reach from the location where you died. In any case, I find it a nuisance and just prefer to get to the main menu as soon as possible, then reload a saved game.

I'm not sure if you get much experience just for hitting someone. You do get experience for killing them, which isn't going to happen if they're immortal. ;)

Capturing a town doesn't necessarily get you much fencing experience, though you should get plenty in other skills if you went through the whole procedure of attacking by sea. Again, what gets you fencing experience is killing enemies. So find the land entrance to the fort, talk to a soldier to provoke a fight against all the soldiers in that part of the fort, and you don't have your officers to help you. If you survive, you can go into the next part of the fort and do it again. You might capture a fort by finding a civilian who turns out to be a diplomat; you can then demand the fort's surrender. Or you can just tell him to give you money, then keep on fighting soldiers!

Thank you for clearing this up :) Now the only point in which I feel dire need of explanation is leveling changes in mid game. Skills_up_bonus in particular, cause I set it to 10 in the begginning, then return to standart value, but didn't notice any changes. Maybe it now really 25 instead of 10 and I just didn't notice the difference? Or, if F11 do nothing to leveling, could I do something to make this change work.

I'm trying to figure out where SKILLS_UP_BONUS is used. It appears in "PROGRAM\Characters\Leveling.c":
Code:
float curSpeed = makefloat(stf(SKILLS_UP_BONUS+100)/100);
"curSpeed" is declared as a local variable so it can't be used by other parts of the game code, and it's not used again anywhere else in "Leveling.c". Other parts of the code declare their own versions of "curSpeed" which won't be affected by this one.

SKILLS_UP_BONUS also appears in "PROGRAM\INTERFACE\select_storyline.c":
Code:
void ProcessSkillsSpeed(ref curVal, ref curSpeed)
{
   int v = 2;
   float s;
   curVal = v;

if (SKILLS_UP_BONUS < 10) SKILLS_UP_BONUS = 10;
   if (SKILLS_UP_BONUS > 99) SKILLS_UP_BONUS = 99;
   s = makefloat(stf(SKILLS_UP_BONUS + 100) / 100.0);
   curSpeed = s;
}
Function "ProcessSkillsSpeed" does not appear anywhere else, only in "select_storyline.c".

All of which means that SKILLS_UP_BONUS appears to be used only when the game starts and you choose your storyline. Changing it will therefore probably have no effect until you start a new game.

I see... Well, than I'll have to start NG after all. I modified this cause default skill grow seemed too fast for me. But changed wrong value so only main char progression has slowed down instead :no

May I ask one thing then
There are bonuses in leveling file for faster progression in skills that characters specialize. How much faster do they progress in them with default values?
I want to slow down exp rate (0.5 perhaps), but modify the bonuses to specialized skills to be higher. So the characters will make significant progress in that skills compared to slowed down overall exp gain rate. So masters at arms, for example, won't have only 1-2 points difference between all skills with shared exp perk.

Back