• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Curse of Davy Jones - Loopholes

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Snapshot of a Tumblr discussion about Davy Jones standing in a bucket of water to get round his ban on setting foot on dry land:
https://cheezburger.com/10548485/tumblr-thread-explores-loophole-of-davy-jones-curse

We probably can't get round the curse by creating a model of Davy Jones with water-filled Wellington boots. Partly because that might not be enough to beat the curse, and partly because the Wellington boot didn't exist in 1740, and probably neither did its predecessor, the Hessian boot.

But one of the possible loopholes in that thread is that perhaps Davy Jones doesn't set foot on land if he walks on his hands. Perhaps we could turn his model upside down. xD

Well, nothing was said about putting hands on land, so this may work.

One thing I know when dealing with the devil, or someone that has some relation to him, or with curses in general; is...

That you should always check the literally sense, possible synonyms, and loop holes, only thus can you be surer.

I would be very happy to see the "Curse of Davy Jones' be expanded on like this.

In fact, the functionality of the "Curse of Cortez" is largely based on my own understanding of a beautiful loophole in the first PotC movie.
I was a bit miffed when that loophole was closed in the second movie, but our game never moved much further than CotBP.
And so I fully supported the loophole:

What you can easily do is to get yourself cursed on purpose by finding Isla de Muerta and taking 1 coin out of the chest.
You then become extra-strong, which adds a nice bonus in sea and land battles.
And once the curse starts to become a problem, you just put the coins back in the chest and problem solved.

You can even take more coins, give them to captains and crew and weaponslockers and increase your bonus.
There's a risk if ships sink or crew get killed anyway, but hey; no risk, no reward. ;)

The number of coins in the game is technically not limited so you can deliberately collect the ones you find.
Bring them all to the chest on Isla de Muerta. Put them in so there is no curse.
Then take out so many that you leave exactly 881 behind.
One coin always remains in your own possession so you are then always able to lift the curse at will, no matter what happens.

As Jack would say:
"Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt."
:duel:

The game curse is not realistic even to CotBP. As I recall, as well as returning all the coins to the chest, blood was involved. Barbossa thought it had to be from Elizabeth Swann, but in fact it had to be from Will Turner.

Which means for the game curse to be realistic, you'd need to bring Will Turner to the cave and then hit him. That means you can only do it while you're playing the "Silver Train" sidequest.

No, I'm not going to implement that. :p

The game curse is not realistic even to CotBP. As I recall, as well as returning all the coins to the chest, blood was involved. Barbossa thought it had to be from Elizabeth Swann, but in fact it had to be from Will Turner.
I figured that the "Bootrap Bill betraying the pirates" is something that would only have happened in the Jack Sparrow storyline.
Every other situation would be a "clean curse" and you and your crew can keep the blood between yourselves.

Also... too much complication. I like simple and so I reckon it's fine as-is.

Not being that familiar with the plot of the film, I've been doing a bit of internet digging, and as far as I can tell, the curse should involve blood from someone who took a coin. Barbossa was trying to use a loophole in that Bootstrap Bill's blood would run in his child; Barbossa wanted to sacrifice the blood of the child rather than the blood of any of his men.

In any other situation, you can't use that loophole. You'd need to hit one of your officers who was carrying a coin. Or, if you've brought crew ashore, you could hit one of them.

Except that they didn't take the coins. You did. Bootstrap Bill passed a coin to Will, which coin was then taken by Elizabeth, so if merely being in possession of a coin is enough to make one's blood suitable to lift the curse, Elizabeth's should have worked. It didn't. So it has to be the blood of someone who took a coin from the chest. Or in other words, someone has to hit you while you're next to the chest.

But, like you, I like simple as well. And so...
No, I'm not going to implement that. :p

(Neither Will nor Elizabeth was cursed, despite having been in possession of a coin, because they never took one from the chest themselves. Realistically then, you should not be cursed if you find a coin at random. And indeed, in "Realistic" mode, you're not. :D)

@Bartolomeu o Portugues used the "loophole" in his "First Contact" sidequest to quite hilarious effect. :rofl

And on the subject of Davy's curse...
I just started a new game as him and realised he only gets a "Spyglass of Shame" at the start:
upload_2021-4-5_21-58-16.png

Since he can't buy a new one from the traders, I wonder how he's EVER going to be navigating as a pro! :rofl

Did anyone ever try to actually PLAY as Davy Jones, I wonder...?
Seems like quuuuiiiiite the survival challenge to me! :pirate41:

I will.
Though knowing him I suppose it had to do with freedom.
I wished I could've recorded my 5 minutes of trying to play as Cursed Davy Jones myself just now.
It was HIIIILARIOUS.
I'm sure it would've done quite well on YouTube; especially with my spoken voice to go with it.

But as it is... I don't have any video capture software.
And I'm not sure to what extent my 10-year-old laptop could handle gameplay, video capture and sound recording at the same time...

This is outrageous, it's unfair!
Absolutely.
Zero doubt about it.

And I'm not sure to what extent my 10-year-old laptop could handle gameplay, video capture and sound recording at the same time...
Ideally DOUBLE sound recording.
Somehow.

I'd want to be able to record my voice (from the microphone) AND the sounds my computer makes (directly from the sound card).

I wished I could've recorded my 5 minutes of trying to play as Cursed Davy Jones myself just now.
It was HIIIILARIOUS.
I'm sure it would've done quite well on YouTube; especially with my spoken voice to go with it.
I can imagine it. It would indeed draw people. xD

But as it is... I don't have any video capture software.
I use OBS.
Worst case scenario it indeed can't record and play.

Back