• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Moon (and Dinosaurs)

Important to note that for all our "advanced" medicine, humanitity still relies on nature to protect us: our natural environment and our immune system. The only other widely used inside defence we have found also comes from nature -- penicillin, antibiotics (specifically from moulds) -- and it looses effectiveness with overuse.

That's how far our "advanced" technology goes: we can't even protect ourselves. :rolleyes: It's good for pretending we are self-sufficient.

And I'm not even trying to be glum/grim. If there's one thing we seem to suck at as a species, it's being honest with ourselves. :p

:yes They're quite special -- both in terms of study and in personal contact with them. I believe because we differ from them more than other animals (mammals), there's a sort-of instant bond that's forged because we are less instinctively afraid of each other. It's quite odd when I think about it, actually. I'm not sure why this happens, but Australian native animals are less afraid of people, more accepting of us, and more curious.
Interesting, maybe this curiosity and acceptance helped in the Thylacine's extinction.
Not to say that it is their fault. :no

In this video, I don't get why he's carrying the meal around, walking with it. I think he's doing it just for effect. This is completely unnatural and unnerving the devils -- not to mention putting them in danger of being injured/stepped on. They're clearly really hungry -- just put down the meat, and let them eat! :mad:

This is also why they're having a bigger fight over the food than usual -- because they're filled with adrenalin and on edge by the time they get to gather around it. Not to mention they're extremely hungry, and forced to be together by circumstances.

Poor devil who didn't get to eat. :(

This video saddens me. I hate it when people make a "dangerous" show of animals. I'd like to see animals do that to us, and see how we appreciate it!

People are imbalanced and cruel.
The host has a more independent, from what I can tell, YouTube channel.

And would you guess what he and his crew did there?
What you said, they placed the meat on the ground, only tying the meat to a wooden pole so it is easier to film them.
And they let the Tassies to eat, while they are observing them.

So I guess that the running around was a decision of someone above him in Animal Planet.
And this isn't the first time I have seen this, the first video of Tassies eating also had similar behavior from the one feeding them.

Nope. Only frozen in ice -- you need organic tissue/material for DNA. ;)
True, I wasn't being exactly serious on this. xD

But didn't Jurassic Park teach us not to mess with nature? There's a good reason dinosaurs have evolved since and are no longer with us. It's not advisable to mess with nature's balance -- especially by utterly ignorant and imbalanced creatures such as us. :p
But... but think of the kids, wouldn't they like to at least see Moas or Elephant Birds?
Our forefathers robbed us of this chance, it is time we set things right.

(Obviously this is not correct, by suddenly reintroducing an animal to nature you ruin the balance that nature is now.)

Dr_Ian_Malcolm.jpeg

"What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world."

"Genetic power is the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you wield it like a kid that's found his dad's gun."

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

~ Dr. Ian Malcolm in 'Jurassic Park'
Yep, the man is right! :yes

So much nostalgia! My childhood in a song. :oops:
You should download this if you haven't already.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...hn-williams-1993-personal-edit-by-vosk.32465/

I'm ready for adventure! You coming?! :dance
Yep! :cheers :dance

Important to note that for all our "advanced" medicine, humanitity still relies on nature to protect us: our natural environment and our immune system. The only other widely used inside defence we have found also comes from nature -- penicillin, antibiotics (specifically from moulds) -- and it looses effectiveness with overuse.

That's how far our "advanced" technology goes: we can't even protect ourselves. :rolleyes: It's good for pretending we are self-sufficient.

And I'm not even trying to be glum/grim. If there's one thing we seem to suck at as a species, it's being honest with ourselves. :p
Yep, it really is not pessimistic; it's the truth.

You can't make anything from thin air, even the "human made" compounds can be traced to something found in nature.

Interesting, maybe this curiosity and acceptance helped in the Thylacine's extinction.
Not to say that it is their fault. :no
Perhaps it played a part, but the Thylacine suffered the same fate as wolves: it was hunted down because it was perceived a danger to stock (farm animals).

The host has a more independent, from what I can tell, YouTube channel.

And would you guess what he and his crew did there?
What you said, they placed the meat on the ground, only tying the meat to a wooden pole so it is easier to film them.
And they let the Tassies to eat, while they are observing them.

So I guess that the running around was a decision of someone above him in Animal Planet.
And this isn't the first time I have seen this, the first video of Tassies eating also had similar behavior from the one feeding them.
:mad: Case in point: people are cruel.

They probably starved them, too, so they could get a better shot of their "aggressive" behaviour. :sick People like that make me sick.

True, I wasn't being exactly serious on this. xD
Oh, gotcha. :oops:

Yep, the man is right! :yes
There is no-one wiser than Jeff Goldblum -- ahem! -- Ian Malcolm! ;) :cheers

I have. :) Just haven't gotten around to unpacking it and listening to it yet.

:cheers

tenor.gif

"Oh crap!" :p

You can't make anything from thin air, even the "human made" compounds can be traced to something found in nature.
:yes We're made of nature! People don't seem to get this. You upset nature, you destroy yourself. :facepalm

Thankfully people are beginning to wake up, but we'll need to change a lot to fix/save the natural balance and ourselves.

Perhaps it played a part, but the Thylacine suffered the same fate as wolves: it was hunted down because it was perceived a danger to stock (farm animals).
Yep, and the funny thing is that the same qualities that make them a good source of food for us, also make them a good source of food for other animals.
So we are also kinda responsible for them hunting our farm animals.

:mad: Case in point: people are cruel.

They probably starved them, too, so they could get a better shot of their "aggressive" behaviour. :sick People like that make me sick.
Probably, if you watch the video where they just place the meal they are much more calm, and everyone eats equally.

:cheers

tenor.gif

"Oh crap!" :p
At least it's not snakes! :cool

:yes We're made of nature! People don't seem to get this. You upset nature, you destroy yourself. :facepalm
Yep, the materials we are made of can all be found in other animals, and nature in general. :yes

Thankfully people are beginning to wake up, but we'll need to change a lot to fix/save the natural balance and ourselves.
Indeed, we are only in the first steps towards fixing the damage we caused.

Yep, and the funny thing is that the same qualities that make them a good source of food for us, also make them a good source of food for other animals.
So we are also kinda responsible for them hunting our farm animals.
True... :nerbz We made our farm animals helpless by domesticating them and raising them only for food...

Probably, if you watch the video where they just place the meal they are much more calm, and everyone eats equally.
Especially after the people leave. :yes That last one that waited until the people left (that was too scared to approach with the people there) is so adorable! :love Notice how the others just let him join in without fuss. And the moment he got near enough, he started chomping down in the same sudden way as the rest of them -- even though he was quite calm -- because that's just how they eat, they tug and pull at the meat in opposite directions.

They're not fighting, they're sharing. The only time they are fighting is when they have their mouth open wide, they are making loud sounds, and they are chasing each other. Like for that brief moment earlier in the video. When they fight during eating, it's usually because they are upset/nervous (because of big hunger or the presence of other animals/people -- in this case the latter).

At least it's not snakes! :cool
"It had to be squirrels! Why'd it have to be squirrels?!"

1rcyq9.jpg

gopher-look.gif

;)

Yep, the materials we are made of can all be found in other animals, and nature in general. :yes
:yes Not only that! Who we are is nature's balance! We get sick and die when that balance is disrupted. Mental illness, too, is a result of that internal natural balance -- of processes in the human body -- being upset. The mind doesn't work right or at all when the body is falling apart and suffering. We literally are nature -- an inseparable part of it. So damaging nature outside us, we're actually actively damaging nature inside us without knowing -- because the two are connected: there are processes mutually shared between our outside and inside world.

Indeed, we are only in the first steps towards fixing the damage we caused.
Yepp, or not even there. We must change the way we think and live. We must change the way we run human society. A long way to go, but a fruitful way -- full of potential if we will it so. :)

People can do amazing things if they put their hearts and minds to it. The Man Who Planted Trees is a living testament to that. And that was just one individual!

True... :nerbz We made our farm animals helpless by domesticating them and raising them only for food...
If you think about it, the characteristics that make a good farm animal, also make good prey.
Much food, and easy to catch.

Especially after the people leave. :yes That last one that waited until the people left (that was too scared to approach with the people there) is so adorable! :love Notice how the others just let him join in without fuss. And the moment he got near enough, he started chomping down in the same sudden way as the rest of them -- even though he was quite calm -- because that's just how they eat, they tug and pull at the meat in opposite directions.
Imagine replacing the feeding part of the Animal Planet, with this video.
It would be one of the best I have seen. :)

It is much easier to cut it if you have resistance, and raw meat is much herder to cut when compared to cooked meat.
So the way they are pulling makes perfect sense, they don't have hands after all. ;)

1rcyq9.jpg

gopher-look.gif

;)
Dogs had it right, these squirrels will be the end of us, just wait and see! :cool

:rofl

:yes Not only that! Who we are is nature's balance! We get sick and die when that balance is disrupted. Mental illness, too, is a result of that internal natural balance -- of processes in the human body -- being upset. The mind doesn't work right or at all when the body is falling apart and suffering. We literally are nature -- an inseparable part of it. So damaging nature outside us, we're actually actively damaging nature inside us without knowing -- because the two are connected: there are processes mutually shared between our outside and inside world.
True, even if some people don't want to acknowledge this, when such things are done usually they turn around and bite us.

People can do amazing things if they put their hearts and minds to it. The Man Who Planted Trees is a living testament to that. And that was just one individual!
Exactly, we can do amazing stuff if we want to. We are not only capable of destruction but of helping as well.
And if we all come together to achieve a (good) universal goal, things will be better. :D

Indeed, we are invaders, not from outer space; but does it make much difference really?
No difference at all. :shrug

"We came in peace for all mankind."

Interesting phrasing. :rolleyes: Not all life on Earth, not all of nature, just all of man-kind.
I always took it to be a message of universal peace and goodwill.
But if we're going to be critical there... could point out that it's not woman-kind either.

At least the word "kind" is in there.
That's a good thing; right?

Incidentally, what repels the martians in H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds -- which this film was heavily inspired by -- is not all the might of human warfare, but common bacteria on planet Earth that their immune systems are not developed to fight! :)

We like to think that we are the strongest and most adaptable creature on the planet, but the simplest of organisms, bacteria, can actually defeat us -- and some of them can even survive a long time in the vacuum of space! Talk about the paradox of the "advanced"!
That was a really, REALLY clever twist of Wells'!
And in one of the very first famous Sci-Fi stories too.

Clearly he tried to send a message there about humanity.
But I don't imagine that actually got through to most people's hearts...

But didn't Jurassic Park teach us not to mess with nature? There's a good reason dinosaurs have evolved since and are no longer with us. It's not advisable to mess with nature's balance -- especially by utterly ignorant and imbalanced creatures such as us. :p

Dr_Ian_Malcolm.jpeg

"What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world."

"Genetic power is the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you wield it like a kid that's found his dad's gun."

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

~ Dr. Ian Malcolm in 'Jurassic Park'
For clarity's sake... I was suggesting it more as a joke than anything else.

Malcolm's character is pretty great though!
Love him in the second film too:
John Hammond: Don't worry, I'm not making the same mistakes again.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: No, you're making all new ones.
Though really... isn't making NEW mistakes better than making the SAME ones over and over?
Hmm...

And in finding that exact quote, imagine my surprise when I ran into its use here:
https://www.raymondgregory.com/single-post/2017/03/23/Racism-Jurassic-Park-and-Historical-Dementia
Yikes. And *sigh*... :(

So much nostalgia! My childhood in a song. :oops:
Instant earworm.
Never ceases to amaze me with its beauty.

I'm ready for adventure! You coming?! :dance
Where do I sign up? :cheeky

1rcyq9.jpg

gopher-look.gif

;)
:rofl :rofl

"Gophers. Why did it have to be gophers?"
_NYJHG_um0fx90pTrqTRzIZrYxLDamig6wYBgsYWJxfkYtlkb5SHLhSeQ5qdm_IorSfnfwdCejc2n4wXLVqfdm0k5msr7O9Meg

Because Everyone Loves CG Gophers — Major Spoilers — Comic Book Reviews, News, Previews, and Podcasts
(By the way... that article claims Admiral Ackbar brough up a lot of hate. Really? Literally the first I hear of it!)

And also... tried to find a joke for exactly that quote.
But I didn't find it. Surely I can't be the first to think of it?
It's pretty obvious... o_O

I always took it to be a message of universal peace and goodwill.
But if we're going to be critical there... could point out that it's not woman-kind either.

At least the word "kind" is in there.
That's a good thing; right?
Considering how much time humankind has had to think about how to best phrase this statement, I think it's not unfair to be critical of it.

And yep, just all of man-kind. :rolleyes: Not at all sexist, or speciesist, or ignorant to all of life and the natural balance...

Imagine if one type of bacteria publically announced and planted a plaque, "we came in peace for all bacteria". In effect, it would be much the same (minus the sexism). Never mind other living organisms, never mind biodiversity and the natural connection and balance we all depend on to live and exist.

That was a really, REALLY clever twist of Wells'!
And in one of the very first famous Sci-Fi stories too.

Clearly he tried to send a message there about humanity.
But I don't imagine that actually got through to most people's hearts...
Yep! :) To some, who know nature's balance well, and our origins -- but, sadly, they are few.

John Hammond: Don't worry, I'm not making the same mistakes again.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: No, you're making all new ones.
:rofl That's blunt, autistic honesty if there ever was one! xD

And in finding that exact quote, imagine my surprise when I ran into its use here:
https://www.raymondgregory.com/single-post/2017/03/23/Racism-Jurassic-Park-and-Historical-Dementia
Yikes. And *sigh*... :(
Good use of the quote, actually, and a thoughtful essay. It does raise some valid points in regards to nature's balance. When you focus too much on avoiding one thing, you're actually creating an imbalance in other areas and a "new mistake".

Unconditional love and understanding should indeed be what we are aiming for. This is why I am against feminism in the modern sense -- not because I want to ignore the sexism and related discrimination and struggles women face to this day (which I can't), but because the focus should not be on one side of the polar gender debate, but rather on gender diversity and equal human rights for people (and animals) of all genders. You bring equal rights by abolishing the gender divide, culturally -- by bringing greater awareness and knowledge/experience to people. Human thinking imbalance (a discriminative lie) versus the natural balance (the full truth).

The full truth is unbiased -- it's what most people fear and what most everyone feels uncomfortable with discussing. By our very nature, people are prone to deluding themselves, to painting a simplified/stereotyped, imaginary picture of their own reality. We are actually naturally limited in our capacities to understand things and be objective about our understanding.

This is why, as Einstein has stressed, connecting with nature and adopting/learning the objective, full truth should be our first and foremost priority as a society before we can even begin to behave responsibly. We all need to mature as thinking and feeling human beings.

Instant earworm.
Never ceases to amaze me with its beauty.
xD :oops:

Where do I sign up? :cheeky
xD

Ask Indy:

giphy.gif

"You don't. It finds you."

(By the way... that article claims Admiral Ackbar brough up a lot of hate. Really? Literally the first I hear of it!)
I don't know about hate (they must be speciesist :p), but he sure has a tribute song to celebrate his character. xD

(Warning: to anyone who has not seen all of the original Star Wars, it contails spoilers.)

And also... tried to find a joke for exactly that quote.
But I didn't find it. Surely I can't be the first to think of it?
It's pretty obvious... o_O
Nope. I think you're the first human being to actually put it into words! xD

Last edited:
Considering how much time humankind has had to think about how to best phrase this statement, I think it's not unfair to be critical of it.

And yep, just all of man-kind. :rolleyes: Not at all sexist, or speciesist, or ignorant to all of life and the natural balance...

Imagine if one type of bacteria publically announced and planted a plaque, "we came in peace for all bacteria". In effect, it would be much the same (minus the sexism). Never mind other living organisms, never mind biodiversity and the natural connection and balance we all depend on to live and exist.
When you put it that way....

Sorry, I just cannot keep a straight face.
That's HILARIOUS!

Now I want to see some sort of parody sketch like that.
:rofl :rofl :rofl

:rofl That's blunt, autistic honesty if there ever was one! xD
It is so, SO funny!!

I can definitely picture saying stuff like that myself.
While being completely unable to keep a straight face.

Good use of the quote, actually, and a thoughtful essay. It does raise some valid points in regards to nature's balance. When you focus too much on avoiding one thing, you're actually creating an imbalance in other areas and a "new mistake".

Unconditional love and understanding should indeed be what we are aiming for. This is why I am against feminism in the modern sense -- not because I want to ignore the sexism and related discrimination and struggles women face to this day (which I can't), but because the focus should not be on one side of the polar gender debate, but rather on gender diversity and equal human rights for people (and animals) of all genders. You bring equal rights by abolishing the gender divide, culturally -- by bringing greater awareness and knowledge/experience to people. Human thinking imbalance (a discriminative lie) versus the natural balance (the full truth).

The full truth is unbiased -- it's what most people fear and what most everyone feels uncomfortable with discussing. By our very nature, people are prone to deluding themselves, to painting a simplified/stereotyped, imaginary picture of their own reality. We are actually naturally limited in our capacities to understand things and be objective about our understanding.

This is why, as Einstein has stressed, connecting with nature and adopting/learning the objective, full truth should be our first and foremost priority as a society before we can even begin to behave responsibly. We all need to mature as thinking and feeling human beings.
Feminism can definitely get excessive these days.
All of those causes can.

Today I got accused of being transphobic.
Why?
Me:
"Did that panic from Emperor's Groove invade here too?
Hey, any chance we can just get along?
1f914.png
"

Me:
"Read an announcement about that earlier today.
Sounded like quite the lose-lose situation to me.

Hope we can learn from that and... uh...
Not do that.
1f61b.png
"

Other person:
"Pieter Boelen wow y’all.... just openly being transphobic, huh?"
SIX people "liked" that latter post.
And I'm left completely baffled on HOW THE CRAP anyone could any judgment in my words at all.
Let alone "openly".

Ask Indy:

giphy.gif

"You don't. It finds you."
Fair point.
I suppose Indy might not always have been wanting the adventures he got either.
The fact that WE (well... I) love watching it doesn't mean that he enjoyed going through it.

Still... I don't think he minded TOO much.
Certainly some of the books confirm that... :cheeky

I don't know about hate (they must be speciesist :p), but he sure has a tribute song to celebrate his character. xD

(Warning: to anyone who has not seen all of the original Star Wars, it contails spoilers.)
Yet another "ist", eh?
Can't walk two steps without getting into one of those these days. :facepalm

Hehe; hilarious bunch of songs that guy makes.

I like Ackbar. He's cool. And while I am one of those people who DOES appreciate The Last Jedi, this bit right here would have been SO EPIC in the actual film:
By far all the stuff they put in those videos are too ridiculous to be real and just good to laugh at.
But that right there? That fits like a glove!
Likewise the end of the first Star Trek reboot. What they put in the HISHE is well and truly how it SHOULD have ended!
Would've been SO - BLOODY - BADASS! And fitting.

Nope. I think you're the first human being to actually put it into words! xD
That is downright BIZARRE!
With all the many, many lame jokes that have been made about it since 2000-bloody-4.
I cannot be the first.
It just cannot be.

But very well...
If it must be meme-i-fied properly...
Here's my attempt:
WhyGophers.jpg

Back